Author Topic: Camping with Dogs  (Read 3683 times)

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
Camping with Dogs
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »
Hey Guys,
Starting a trip in May..a full 12 months...i know, how lucky am I....we are doing it with our two amazing dogs and can't wait.
Any hints and tips or locations people have which are great for dogs would be wonderful. We are doing the trip along the coast heading to the EAST first....Woo hoo....can't wait

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
Re: Camping with Dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
Make sure they're registered somewhere and microchip details are up to date so that if they go missing, there's a starting point. I have my mum as a second contact as she's virtually always contactable and can take action if we're out of range. Pick up after them. Do they need any training? Food refusal is a handy thing...less chance of baiting. Have their shots up to date and talk to your vet about things you may need to look out for/dog First Aid. Have fun!!

Lil :)
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
Victorian end or Qld end First?

Do you currently treat regularly for general tick/paralysis tick prevention? If not, start now.  Paralysis ticks are prevalent from East Gippsland coastline and northwards.

We treat with Advantix, available from vet supplies. About $60 for 3 x 4ml doses.  Used to use a small dose of Tiguvon (cattle treatment) years ago, seemed to work allright, but apparently not recommended!

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:25:34 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:30:43 PM »
@lilstookie
That is great idea, they are registered but will put my mum down just in case. They are trained, there is a few things i'd like to do...food refusal and snake training..All shots are up to date and will do a first aid course for dogs soon that a friend trainer is running so that should be good....Thanks so much

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
@Mace..
Victorian end first. Great point i will look into that, we just do a monthly frontline flea treatment. I'll look into Advantix. I'm so worried about ticks...the bulldog is short hair so we can check her but i'll keep sol (the golden) shaved as short as possible...I know there are different ticks to watch out for in each different state....
1>Ticks
2>Snakes
3>Bait
4>Crocs....
I always always pick up after my dogs, its so important....and just responsible dog ownership... ;D
Thanks...

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.aspx?Page=50&ItemId=14
Just read up on advantix...amazing...thanks so much....the bulldog gets eaten by mosquitoes...this is going to be amazing...I'm getting some today and starting treatment now....

Offline Dreama

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
  Used to use a small dose of Tiguvon (cattle treatment) years ago, seemed to work allright, but apparently not recommended!

MMMMM, dont ever use this stuff on your best friends, I killed mine when I was on the farm. :'(
Of course it works on cattle, that is what it is for.
It is in my blood to modify

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »
Hey Guys,
Starting a trip in May..a full 12 months...i know, how lucky am I....we are doing it with our two amazing dogs and can't wait.
Any hints and tips or locations people have which are great for dogs would be wonderful. We are doing the trip along the coast heading to the EAST first....Woo hoo....can't wait

Us tooo!!! We have 2 dogs and are leaving May 2013 doing the loop and accross and up and down and all over! Can't Wait to see you on the road!

We tie ours up on plastic coated steel cables at night, and we also recently purchased radio frequency collars where you run the wire around the boundry - that will adapt into 12v so when we are stopped at a place for a while - gives them more freedom as we have an escape artists husky and they both enjoy going for a wander (they do come back but).

We also have bought them a plastic  muzzels that cover their mouths to prevent them from picking up baits. (there are baits all over WA and SA so be really careful). It makes them look mean, but its for their own good.

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »
We have a collapsable dog pen that's very handy but it's steel >:(  (heavy)
I'm looking for an aluminium one if anyone know where one might be!!!
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »

My Blog (see link below) lists some dog friendly camps (up to) 2 hours from BrisVegas ... just find the Label "dogs" and click or those posts are headed Pups R Out or similar.  We love taking ours with us.  I'm even having a proper dog crate built for the ute for travel purposes only ... no sleeping ... which we've designed ourselves.  It'll look like a toolbox when it's completed.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline NatGav

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
All great tips guys thanks so much...ordered the advantix..should arrive soon...
Got a couple of books like bush camping with dogs...
Need to bulit something on the back of our ute.
thinking that with our CT they can sleep with us in the tent section...need to just find a CT...(going crazy ofcourse)
Thanks Kit_e_kat9..i'll check out your blog...we are very excited.