Author Topic: Grey Water Tanks ?  (Read 10991 times)

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Grey Water Tanks ?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »
I'll bring enough for all of us  ;D
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 05:21:49 AM »
To the OP yes I believe that the requirement to have a grey water tank will influence more parks and places. Just like log barriers and closing tracks and camp grounds is gaining movement in the NPs as well. 

But be warned as nice as it seems to add grey tanks to our campers and vans, think of the consequences of carting around 40-50-60 litres of bacteria ridden water in a holding tank centimeters from where we sleep and eat. They need to be well thought out and plumbed with traps in the drains and all.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
My take on the grey water tanks is this is the way caravan parks have found a way to shut down the free camping areas.

Only recently there was a story in the paper on just this, the local council closed the free camping area over this complaint, as a caravan park took the complaint to the environment department, complaining that the free park had no provision to handle grey water. The free park is now closed. ???

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
Back to trackers question.  I would not be worrying about a tank for your grey water in your CT.  After 5 years of camper trailer travelling I can only think of one place we thought it would have been a great place to stay but we could not because you had to be able to collect your grey water.  That was in Tasmania at a free camp beside a nice beach that was in a town area and you could understand why they had that restriction.  Plenty of motor homes were camped there.  It was not a problem because there were plenty of other places to go to.  You will also find some caravan parks/camp grounds ask that your empty your grey water on the trees to help during dry times.  We just have a bucket under our sink and tip that onto trees and or shrubs or in the drain if there is one.  Mind you I have come across some gross drains in caravan parks!  :P     Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »
I think personal the best thing to do is just get a cheap plastic 10 liter bottle and catch your sink water , contain your shower water and use diode grade able soaps ect.
It seems to be the general consensus, basicly leave the site as you'd like to find it.
That's my 2 cents worth

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
Ok, the "daily rant" thread says I should continue an old thread rather than starting a new one for an old topic, so I did as the ranter said, used the search function, and went to reply in an old thread on the topic I wanted..................and had this pop up - Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
, but the daily rant people seem a bit grumpy lately and scare me, so I'll ignore the forum warning and ask here anyway  >:D

So has anyone had (or heard of) any issues in there travels regarding needing to have grey water tanks ?

Reason for the question is I'm building a list of features or qualities that I might want in a potential future camper and I'm undecided about grey water storage tanks.

I have heard stories from "friends of peoples second cousins wife who met a bloke once who new somebody" that there are places that you cant go unless you can retain your grey water, but I haven't been able to factually confirm it anywhere. Does anyone have any real evidence to confirm or deny the stories ? If there is any truth to what seems to be campground gossip, it may be areas in some of the WA parks or peninsulas ?

Also, if I was to change campers, whatever I get would need to see me into the next decade at least, so I'm wondering if the greenies keep getting their way, would it be worth hedging my bets and have a grey water tank just in case ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:53:30 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
We have travelled a lot, in our camper and now in our caravan and have never had an issue with camping and the need/requirement for containing our grey water. We mainly do free or bush camping but lately been doing a few caravan parks. I think the whole issue is just crazy. On the very few occasions where a camp has the restrictions we just go to the next camp. Simple. A few weeks ago we went to stay at a free camp and there was the big sign and on wikicamps warning that the town ranger will move you on. We parked across the road where there was no grey water issues and watched the vans containing their grey water and the next day just before each drove off they opened their tanks or tipped their buckets onto the ground! Remembering after 24 hours grey water when in a container should be treated as black water.

And I have read people complaining about the mess from people letting their grey water onto the ground. Again, after lots of camping have never seen a problem.
 So after camping all around this great country for years it is a load of bull..... I would not worry about a grey water tank. One less thing to worry about when you are out and about. Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »
Hi,
     Pouring fresh grey water around appropriate bushes where people can't walk seems to be the best way to disperse it before it gets smelly.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »
I have almost finished building my new camper, I have not built in a grey water tank, my system used a couple of buckets which I then empty around trees that look like they could do with a little watering.
I have however hedged my bets, I have brought a portable grey water tank, which can be plumb in externaly, if I ever need it in my travels.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
DaveR built a grey-water tank in under the floor of his van (& a damn good job it was as well! :cup:).

Maybe he knows something about rules ???

You out there somewhere, Dave ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:49 AM »
We have travelled a lot, in our camper and now in our caravan and have never had an issue with camping and the need/requirement for containing our grey water. We mainly do free or bush camping but lately been doing a few caravan parks. I think the whole issue is just crazy. On the very few occasions where a camp has the restrictions we just go to the next camp. Simple. A few weeks ago we went to stay at a free camp and there was the big sign and on wikicamps warning that the town ranger will move you on. We parked across the road where there was no grey water issues and watched the vans containing their grey water and the next day just before each drove off they opened their tanks or tipped their buckets onto the ground! Remembering after 24 hours grey water when in a container should be treated as black water.

And I have read people complaining about the mess from people letting their grey water onto the ground. Again, after lots of camping have never seen a problem.
 So after camping all around this great country for years it is a load of bull..... I would not worry about a grey water tank. One less thing to worry about when you are out and about. Kevin

As above..... yes i have head of the requirement but have not come across anywhere where it is signposted and or enforced. So i have filed it away in the same area as "you must have load rated shackles on my safety chains" and continue to do my normal thing of putting a bucket under the sullage hose if i cannot run a line to a friendly tree that looks like it needs a water.
As also stated above i think it is a waste of time from the numbers of people that hook up open the gray water tap and then simply dump it on the road as they drive off
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
I had a look on the yogi, 2005 Royal Flair Tuff Roder thread, as we had a discussion on grey water tanks there, but the photos are now gone.
On another forum I am on, one of the members has just come home from a trip from Queensland down to Tasmania. He found quit a few free camps had grey water rules, which did not concern him as he had a grey water tank built in, but none were policed from what I saw.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
In our travels I’ve never seen a requirement for a grey water tank! Sure it’ll come.

But did see this sign at the premer lions club camp site recently! They are obviously not too concerned?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 01:15:40 AM »
Have been at some 24hr rest stops where your not allowed unless self contained.
Kalgoolie free RV stop and Seven Mile near Dongara come to mind.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
Quote from: Mik01
you are proving one of us is ignorant - we can let the readers decide who
1 nil - your losing.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:59 AM »
I put a grey water tank in my build, not because it's necessary, but because I expect that rules will get tighter in the future, as rules tend to do.
The Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia has developed a poicy for self contained vehicles which does allow for the use of external containers which I presume need to be carried off site.

https://cdn.cmca.net.au/cloud/f1782a7a-d1ee-430e-8484-c8036a0a94a5_SCVpolicy.pdf

They are also developing very basic camping sites for self contained RVs which conform to their strict rules, much to the annoyance of caravan park operators.

https://cdn.cmca.net.au/cloud/f1782a7a-d1ee-430e-8484-c8036a0a94a5_SCVpolicy.pdf
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline hardroad

• Swag User
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
Have been to a couple of caravan parks that did not have waste water plumbing to sites, so it simply drained to the grass. Didn't seem to worry any one! As for having to collect grey water, yet to come across a camp ground/bush camp that requires it. But I always have a 20lt platic "fuel" container to the sink drain as it can get wet under foot ;D. And if I did go into an area that required grey water collection, surely this is all I would have to do (unless I wanted set up the shower). Are grey water tanks really necessary when a simple container can be used?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:36:37 PM by tryagain »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
They are also developing very basic camping sites for self contained RVs which conform to their strict rules, much to the annoyance of caravan park operators.

Looks like the wrong link but a great idea, from what I could see through it looked like it was introduced a few years back but hasn't been rolled out as initially intended, guessing due to caravan parks complaining.