Author Topic: Face masks for Victorians and anyone else in need...  (Read 3158 times)

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
Face masks for Victorians and anyone else in need...
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
So, being an ex-Victorian (is there such a thing?) I have a lot of friends and family affected by this whole lockdown thing, who were caught out trying to source face masks. Some told me they'd had to resort to paying $20-$50 per mask... which I thought was pretty crazy! So, having had a lazy weekend at home on the cards, I spent my Sunday arvo smashing out as many masks as I could sew from fabric I had on hand. While I'd love to extend that offer to Swaggers, all the masks I made were accounted for just overnight. :o

So I decided I'd do the next best thing - share the pattern I created/adapted, as I've had a few people ask for it already on Facebook... Having worked in a job where it certainly wasn't uncommon for me to spend a fair bit of time in a surgical mask, I had pretty strong ideas about how a mask should fit, and how comfortable it should be. So I set about modifying other patterns out there on the interweb to suit my "requirements".

If you're keen to make masks for yourself, to help out others, or know someone who can make them... by all means share this pattern. It is designed to be printed at home on A4 paper. All I ask is that no one profits from the masks - that isn't in the spirit of things, now, is it?

Download here: http://www.bulldustandbackroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Fitted-Face-Mask-Pattern.pdf

(Link fixed)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:24:50 AM by trinityalyce »
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com
The following users thanked this post: db, Pecky, GeoffA, brickiematt, Ozsnowman, Dingo0163, paceman, Fizzie, sharkcaver, Rowlie

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Face masks for Victorians and anyone else in need...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
Its sad that in times of need parasites prey on society. Pity everyone doesnt have Trinity's spirit. A big thumbs up to you.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: sharkcaver

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
So, being an ex-Victorian (is there such a thing?) I have a lot of friends and family affected by this whole lockdown thing, who were caught out trying to source face masks. Some told me they'd had to resort to paying $20-$50 per mask... which I thought was pretty crazy! So, having had a lazy weekend at home on the cards, I spent my Sunday arvo smashing out as many masks as I could sew from fabric I had on hand. While I'd love to extend that offer to Swaggers, all the masks I made were accounted for just overnight. :o

So I decided I'd do the next best thing - share the pattern I created/adapted, as I've had a few people ask for it already on Facebook... Having worked in a job where it certainly wasn't uncommon for me to spend a fair bit of time in a surgical mask, I had pretty strong ideas about how a mask should fit, and how comfortable it should be. So I set about modifying other patterns out there on the interweb to suit my "requirements".

If you're keen to make masks for yourself, to help out others, or know someone who can make them... by all means share this pattern. It is designed to be printed at home on A4 paper. All I ask is that no one profits from the masks - that isn't in the spirit of things, now, is it?

Download here: http://www.bulldustandbackroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Fitted-Face-Mask-Pattern.pdf

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »

Your URL isn't working. But thanks very much for your efforts... fixed it below.

http://www.bulldustandbackroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Fitted-Face-Mask-Pattern.pdf
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 07:49:57 PM »
Excellent pattern but I would suggest adding the extra layers and in the types of material as recommended by DHHS Vic:

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 08:36:36 PM »
Excellent pattern but I would suggest adding the extra layers and in the types of material as recommended by DHHS Vic:
These are designed to be used with filters so the extra layers can easily be incorporated without necessarily sewing them in. I’m over 20 masks into making these to give to friends and family for free so I need them to be quick to knock up and not cost me much if it’s to be sustainable giving them away...  it’s all a compromise.

I know they’re not perfect, but it’s a lot better than using nothing, or a fishing scarf thing over your face as some I know have had to resort to because they can’t get anything better.
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »
Your URL isn't working. But thanks very much for your efforts... fixed it below.

http://www.bulldustandbackroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Fitted-Face-Mask-Pattern.pdf

Thanks for that. No idea what the URL did... it looked ok when I checked the preview... or so I thought!! I appreciate you reposting it.

The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 12:11:39 AM »
Another ex Vic that still is a Vic living in Qld says Thankyou
Looks like we will be having to wear masks here in Jimboomba thanks to those stupid girls bringing Covid back from down south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce