Author Topic: Security Cameras.  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Security Cameras.
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 01:51:50 PM »
Wired, with wireless you still have to get power to the camera or charge/replace the battery. These days you use PoE (power over Ethernet) cameras that only require a network cable, rather than the old school power & video cable requirements.

That's what we've got with the Jaycar system.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Chesapeake

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 04:55:30 PM »
In the last couple of weeks we brought and installed a sensor light come wifi security camera from Bunnings.  It a hard wired job and I think the Brand was Orion and was $150.  I was a bit sceptical at first, but it's surprisingly good.  The video quality is a bit better than 1080P, but not quite 4K from memory.   Whatever resolution it is it's pretty good quality video footage, with a zoom feature, that records on a loop to a micro SD. 

What I liked particularly was that it uses the 'grid connect' phone app for camera monitoring, that doesn't have any ongoing fees, but I get real time alerts on my phone if the sensor is triggered day or night, can watch live footage from the camera etc whenever I want.  The camera set up is via the app also and it's pretty simple in all honesty, even though there's a multitude of set up options and features.  There's a number of different types of cameras and security devices that utilise the grid connect app, and I don't think there's any limit to the number of devices you can run through the app.  Mine also has a built in two way microphone so you can talk with say a delivery driver if they rocked up to deliver a package.... or better still allows you to ask someone why they are peering into your windows....  From your phone you can set off an inbuilt alarm which is both loud and annoying, which hopefully would be a further deterent.

I plan to buy a second one and mount it under carport to watch over our cars.     

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 08:21:36 PM »
I’ve been scoping out the Reolink brand of security cameras…

Different powered and battery options, with solar panels, etc…

Might be a good middle of the road option…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
I have a Swann setup at home. Was about $1200 for 6 cameras and 2Tb NVR recorder. I have it set to record 24/7, footage lasts about 2 weeks until it starts recording over itself. Pretty good picture, can reads licence plates about 15m away, easy to log on to the app and watch remotely.

All hard wired PoE (cat5 cable to each camera), cables that came with it were too short pretty crappy so I made my own. Had it set to alert me when it detected motion but was too sensitive and my phone was buzzing all day…
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2021, 10:00:32 PM »
Reolink Argus2 is fully wireless with internet with their solar panel charger or else with a battery cam you'll have to get up there regularly and recharge it-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVb_cnVX8U
Other than that you'll have to wire/power every camera and with any of them they have to be installed out of easy reach remember.

Edit: Argus 3 now if you like the difference- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAwC9QHxyII
        and a Pro version- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b19c5KItS0&t=26s
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:54:48 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.