Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260743 times)

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #575 on: April 14, 2017, 08:24:48 PM »
Hey Diamonds
I'm with you on the posting pictures, my eldest son  has shown me a couple of times now and gets cranky when I ask again, I could do it on our old computer  but the new one with the updated super duper program  has me beat  ???
Grizzly  :cheers:

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #576 on: April 14, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
Hey Diamonds
I'm with you on the posting pictures, my eldest son  has shown me a couple of times now and gets cranky when I ask again, I could do it on our old computer  but the new one with the updated super duper program  has me beat  ???

Hey Grizzly, I am.pi55ed off coz I spent 30mins opening up a photobucket account to.host images and still couldn't get it right!

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #577 on: April 15, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »
I'm assuming you are referring to having difficulty posting pics on this site, if not the case disregard otherwise see my pic below.

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #578 on: April 15, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:38:39 AM by Diamonds »

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #579 on: April 15, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
LOL that's the easy part  shrinking them to the right size for the site is what stumps me  ???

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #580 on: April 15, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
Hey Grizzly,

Can you pick the picture, and send it to yourself as an email attachment.
In the process you should get the opportunity to shrink the picture.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
« Reply #581 on: April 16, 2017, 03:14:10 AM »
We bought a 2010 Cub in as new condition around 2011/2012, what a disaster and what a heap of rubbish.   We used it once on a trip to Vic and couldn't wait to get rid of it.   Unfortunately, no one wanted it so we ended up trading it in on something else at a great loss.
What didn't we like about it?   

The awning setup, spreader poles held in place by velcro - you gotta be kidding.   Great for falling down and wacking you on the head.

The awning end wall rubbing against the stove is not my idea of a good design.   Sorry Cub but it just isn't.

About 50 percent of the push buttons around the floor didn't even match up.

With the awning on the bed end wall sagged so badly it collected rain water, I added spreaders and uprights and it fixed the problem - sort of.   Trouble was I was carryoing so many extra poles I had to ad another pole tube.

But mostly the cut of the canvas.   The cut was so bad the canvas wrinkled around the door and side windows so badly it was a two handed job wrestling with the zips to close the windows and door.   I messed around with hoops for ages but simply couldn't get rid of the wrinkles.   At first I though the problem was me, but then I went to the Caravan and Camping Show and noticed every single Cub had the same problem.   I then assumed that it was the salesmen at fault for not setting them up properly; but, further investigation revealed every Cub camper I saw whether in the flesh or in pictures on the net also suffered the same complaint. 

I even had an argument with a chap on a camping forum who insisted his Cub didn't suffer from these wrinkles and the other problems I mentioned and even posted a picture to show me, only problem was, his Cub did indeed have the same wrinkles, he just hadn't noticed them before and assumed you had to wrestle with zips in all campers.

Not long after we managed to get rid of the thing we went to another Caravan and Camping Show and ended up having a good laugh with another couple of couples who had the exact same problems.

No doubt I'll be swamped with Cub owners swearing their campers don't have these wrinkles or I don't know how to set them up properly   Either way, I'll leave you to your imaginations, I'm rid of it mow and every time the wife and I see a Cub we point and laugh.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #582 on: April 16, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
Funny, because i actually and honestly don't have any of these issues.
Although it is nice how you have come onto a thread for cub owners and just totally Shit can them. Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: jaup

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #583 on: April 16, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
I've certainly had similar issues with our two Cubs.  However, I persisted with experimenting with the setup, both in terms of resetting the tent (starting with the rear hoop) and especially with the angle of the floor relative to the trailer.  I found that it was critical for there to be a slight angle here, ie, not dead level.  This was the biggest factor in getting doors (whether curved or straight) to zip open and closed more easily.  The biggest problem we had was condensation inside the tent during winter touring, but this happens with many canvas roofed campers.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #584 on: April 16, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
Had similar issues with our Cub, and a few more things that just didn't seem we'll finished or well thought out.
- The weight of the annex, plus the tropical roof made the front bow sag, and it got even worse as it settled if it were set up for a few days. The side and front walls would bag badly, flap in the wind, and it got to the point where water could collect on them as they draped over the sides of the tub.
- The velcro pole attachments don't seem to both some people but just seemed like a bad idea to me. Even if you get it set up right without it bashing you on the head, if it was set up for a few days the canvas can move against the inside poles so the annex supports were then just pushing against unsupported canvas instead of the inside poles. Made it difficult to keep good tension in the annex roof as well.
- With the tropical roof on the winch strap would slide off the curved bows so you always had to lift it back over the top of the tent when you wanted to set up.
- The rain used to run off the tropical roof and land on top of a seam in the canvas above the side rearmost window on the drivers side which then leaked, badly. Had to put rubber sealant onto it which sorted it but given the canvas design it was always going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty to like about it as well. It was solidly built, towed like a dream, was reasonable spacious but still easy enough to manhandle, was dust proof etc etc. I did feel that I could take it pretty much anywhere. It's just that after all of the years that they have been basically making a variation on the same design I would have expected these issues to be have been designed out years ago.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline toglhot

• Swag User
« Reply #585 on: April 16, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
So then, You can only post good things about Cub, negatives not allowed - that's different.

Interesting thing about hard floor campers, Cub have been at it for a long time, probably one of the oldest manufacturers, and they still haven't got it right.   At the last Caravan and Camping show I looked at all the hardfloors and Cub were the only ones with these wrinkles that don't exist.   Even the cheap Chinese ones everyone likes to bag didn't have the problem.

In all fairness, we probably could have lived with the Cubs shortcomings but we've been camper trailering for most of our adult lives, at last count we've had five soft floors, one hardfloor, one Aliner, three wind ups and four caravans.   CTs, or more properly tent trailers, have always been a firm favourite of ours, at times we'd buy a caravan or a wind up only to sell it and return to the soft floors.   But age has announced its arrival in the form of worn out bodies and that coupled with chronic rheumatoid arthritis has put an end to our soft floor days.

Comparing the cut and hang of a soft floor with a hard floor is probably a little unfair as the soft floor will always win out.   We bought the Cub for ease of erecting; unfortunately it was no such thing, taking longer than our soft floors.   Id have to admit, the worst we've had would be toss up between the Cub and the Avan Aliner.

We now have a Jayco Penguin; so, just to show I don't play favourites, I'm none too happy with it either.   It was recalled for mods to the roof raising mechanism due to fears of the roof collapsing, before we even took delivery.   We took delivery two weeks later and headed off on our first trip - no problems.  While packing for it's second time out the roof collapsed, so much for the recall repairs!   I took it in to Jayco for repairs to their repairs and they replaced the snapped cable with a frayed cable, said they replaced a pulley - they didn't, said they re-routed the cable so it wouldn't snap again - they didn't, so now I have to return it for repairs to the repairs to the repairs.   Very professional.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #586 on: April 16, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »
I've certainly had similar issues with our two Cubs.  However, I persisted with experimenting with the setup, both in terms of resetting the tent (starting with the rear hoop) and especially with the angle of the floor relative to the trailer.  I found that it was critical for there to be a slight angle here, ie, not dead level.  This was the biggest factor in getting doors (whether curved or straight) to zip open and closed more easily.  The biggest problem we had was condensation inside the tent during winter touring, but this happens with many canvas roofed campers.
Agree with the setting of the floor, ours would be ever so slightly up at the far end, not that you would notice. As for condensation, all canvas products or tent gets that at times. Cub use dynaproof canvas, probably one of the best available.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #587 on: April 16, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Our first Cub was 2008, Weekender with no extras.  For just the two of us it worked well but we decided rather then do a lot of work to it we would look at upgrading to get one a bit better suited to out needs and bought the next size up giving us more floor space inside.  That side of things worked well, but it was an older camper, 2003 I think and the biggest thing we missed and ended up being too much of a pain to use was not having the velcro poles.  The were so simple and easy to use and they just worked for us.  In the end we sold it as we just could not be bothered trying to set it up and now have an older pop top caravan.  I don't think there is a perfect camper/caravan out there that is an ideal package.  We definitely had fun with the little Weekender though, great little camper
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tramsnod

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
Hi everyone
To easily resize photos I use Paint. It's usually included in all Windows software.
Open your photo in Paint and then use the resize button.
I usually reduce it to 50% or even 30%.
Hope this helps

The following users thanked this post: Diamonds, jw2170

Offline Kenneth23763

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #589 on: April 28, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
Hey Guys

Recently borrowed a mate’s rear fold to get a feel and determine what I wanted.
His was a very basic import but it proved to be a useful exercise.
I like Cubs and it appears as though they have a good reputation.
Most of our camping will be in C'van Parks with the very odd free camping.
Wants:
•   NS sleeping as it would most likely be me having to do the straddle to get out in the night.
•   Ext kitchen and a pantry
•   Box on draw bar for annex, mats etc
•   Sufficient storage underneath for table and chairs
•   Ability to carry bikes and/or kayaks on top
•   Would like the ability to put some drawers within the footprint of the bed area rather than the fold down. Hate having bags of clothes on floor.
•   Don’t mind internal fridge and would like comments from those who have them
•   At this stage the tow rig determines a light tow ball weight of under a 100kg.
•   Budget approx $10K.

I can look at new ones and compare but these are far removed from 10 yr units.
I have until November to purchase something due to other commitments.
What I am after is some opinion as to the value of an internal fridge and the tlrs such as spacematic which have a larger footprint.
What models should I be looking at?

Ken

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:34:35 PM by Kenneth23763 »
Ken

Paralysis by Analysis.
The following users thanked this post: GU2008

Offline Bjh1000

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #590 on: April 30, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
Hi fellow cubbers,
I've recently bought a 2010 cub brumby and have to say after half a dozen trips away are very happy so far.
I do however have a list of qs and mods that need to be looked into...the first of which is some mysterious knobs/buttons that are on the detachable kitchen shelf...does anyone know what they are for?
Cheers
Brian

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #591 on: April 30, 2017, 06:09:23 PM »
A hanging shelf clips onto them

Offline Bjh1000

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #592 on: May 01, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
Thanks Vern...that was my thought as well, but they are only on the rear side (towards the back). Nothing on the other side to support a shelf.
They look similar to the lugs that you would attach shock cord loops to on a tonneau cover or boat awning?
Someone must be using it as intended?
Cheers
Brian

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #593 on: May 01, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
Oops your right, sorry was thinking of a shelf that goes under the kitchenette.

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #594 on: May 01, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
Thanks Vern...that was my thought as well, but they are only on the rear side (towards the back). Nothing on the other side to support a shelf.
They look similar to the lugs that you would attach shock cord loops to on a tonneau cover or boat awning?
Someone must be using it as intended?
Cheers
Brian

Tea towel rack? Lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Barson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #595 on: May 01, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
It is for attaching a shock cord loop to. The shock cord should be attached to the end of the kitchen It then holds the folded table in place under the stove for storage whilst traveling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Bjh1000

Offline simjo

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #596 on: May 04, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
Hi there
We have a 2nd hand 2012 Brumby. We love it all except for the crappy spinflo stove. It is terrible and takes ages even to boil water. Forget about cooking meat properly as it just stews it. Anybody have this issue ?  Got any suggestions for improving it? I checked the jets and they are clean. We had a primus stove with the previous camper and it belted out the heat.
?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:43:01 PM by simjo »
00 'Cruiser, '12 Cub Brumby
For those who come across the seas we've boundless plains to share.

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #597 on: May 04, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
I recently had to take the gas pipe off from the regulator to the outlet on our 2012 model and found that it had water in it  ???. Drained the water and now the burners go a lot harder.

Offline Bjh1000

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #598 on: May 04, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
our 2010 cub brumby is the same simjo...also had a primus before and it was a furnace.
a mate has a cavalier with a similar stove and identical regulator arrangement. The regulator is exposed to the dust/dirt as it is in the cub. A gas fitter took a look...said it was full of a lot of dirt...replaced it and it is now much better.
It will never be as good as your old primus though.

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #599 on: May 04, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
Yer. 20 mins to boil a kettle in the wind. We use one of those chinese cookers to overcome the inadequacy of the spinflo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby