Author Topic: Auto or Manual Gearbox’s  (Read 5052 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Auto or Manual Gearbox’s
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
Hehehehe

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/Kimberley_Top_End_and_Red_Centre_News-issue63.html

If only more people were educated that autos have gears that you can select just like manuals.

Either way not a bad newsletter to subscribe to.....plus you get a free guide although I suspect your tour guide is all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following users thanked this post: filcar

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Auto or Manual Gearbox’s
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 01:22:37 PM »
I wouldn't base a thesis on his theory though.

Auto's are popular with plenty of people and are getting a lot more represented on the roads.
A lot of those people don't have a lot of experience driving long distance on corrugated roads.
They are more likely to be mounted in the more comfortable vehicles than your average workhorse.

Most of the locals that have drive the road regularly would have manual cruisers because they don't shake to bits and would probably be under represented.

But I don't think the issue is the auto. If I'm belting down the road in top gear and have to brake heavily, I'm generally more concerned with braking, steering and not hitting the obstacle to worry about down shifting right away. I generally get my gear changes out of the way before the corner. Modern autos will down shift when you brake anyway.

I think the issue is more that the vehicle is comfortable, so they carry too much speed into the corner. Mid corner corrugations throw them off line, panic braking or an over correction (or both) and they are on their roof.

Speed and inexperience would be more of cause. I doubt the transmission is a significant contributing factor.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: Auto or Manual Gearbox’s
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
Yes its not a bad guide.

I agree alot of the overseas back packers have no idea on what they are doing when traveling the Kimberley. In fact alot of the normal tourists are just as bad.

What has helped in the planning was working on the Gibb for 2 months in 2016.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia