Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 488972 times)

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #1750 on: July 18, 2020, 06:03:07 PM »
Ran the kids both at 24rear and 20front.

Neither of them are riding hard yet, but both looked a lot more stable and not as skittery over the roots and rocky sections.

They ended up doing 14km of easy single track today and they loved it!! They are slow though!!

I ran my 29x2.6” tyres at 29rear and 25front..... but I have no idea how it feels given the kids speed we rode at today.
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1751 on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »
Ran the kids both at 24rear and 20front.

Neither of them are riding hard yet, but both looked a lot more stable and not as skittery over the roots and rocky sections.

They ended up doing 14km of easy single track today and they loved it!! They are slow though!!

I ran my 29x2.6” tyres at 29rear and 25front..... but I have no idea how it feels given the kids speed we rode at today.

:cup: :cup: :cup:

I'd run your 2.6" much lower than that.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1752 on: July 18, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
I’m a fat bastard!

120kg

Last time I had it out was at about 20psi (unintentionally) front and rear and it actually surprised me how well it rolled along and handled. I guess I’m worried about smacking a rim at my weight with the lower end pressures.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1753 on: July 18, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »
I’m a fat bastard!

120kg

Last time I had it out was at about 20psi (unintentionally) front and rear and it actually surprised me how well it rolled along and handled. I guess I’m worried about smacking a rim at my weight with the lower end pressures.

Fair call, however I'd rather have comfy grip 99% of the time, and not worry about that 1% rim dinger :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1754 on: July 18, 2020, 08:27:15 PM »
So 20psi with a bargearse on board isn’t too low??

Never had tubeless, never had tyres 2.6” wide  ??? ???

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1755 on: July 19, 2020, 07:49:01 AM »
So 20psi with a bargearse on board isn’t too low??

Never had tubeless, never had tyres 2.6” wide  ??? ???

Probably a bit low, I've got a pressure table somewhere that came with my son's bike.

There are some good suggestions here https://enduro-mtb.com/en/what-mtb-tire-pressure/

It also depends on what you will be riding, mellowish rides with the kids you can run lower pressures than a hitting a rocky trail at warp speed.

Edit - found it

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:26:34 AM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: petrolburner

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1756 on: July 19, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
Oops, N+1 kicked in >:D

Paconi (Kevin Wigham) was a local Melbourne frame builder in the 80s/90s. Now to buy the rest of the parts.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1757 on: July 21, 2020, 07:56:26 PM »
Oops, N+1 kicked in >:D

Paconi (Kevin Wigham) was a local Melbourne frame builder in the 80s/90s. Now to buy the rest of the parts.

Nice find. 😎

Foo

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1758 on: July 27, 2020, 07:44:46 AM »
Did a 20km ride on wet, gravelly/rocky trails yesterday.

Gave the bike a gentle hosing (using shower setting not high pressure) with the garden hose to clean grit off the frame and cassette etc.

When back pedalling to clean and lube the chain I noticed this crunching and catching in the free wheel mechanism. I think, despite being careful with washing I have managed to wash some grit into the free hub?

As bike is nearly new I’ll take it back to the shop and let them inspect the hub, but is getting grit into the free hub a common issue or am I just unlucky?? Should I be purchasing the necessary tools to remove chains and cassettes if this is going to occur often?

Video below.

https://youtu.be/BCVpIKJIXP4

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1759 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:12 AM »
When back pedalling to clean and lube the chain I noticed this crunching and catching in the free wheel mechanism. I think, despite being careful with washing I have managed to wash some grit into the free hub?

As bike is nearly new I’ll take it back to the shop and let them inspect the hub, but is getting grit into the free hub a common issue or am I just unlucky?? Should I be purchasing the necessary tools to remove chains and cassettes if this is going to occur often?

Never heard/seen that before, doubt it is something you have done. Could be some of the pawls in the freehub ratchet are faulty. It's a completely sealed unit so I'd say mechanical/warranty fault.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1760 on: July 27, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1761 on: July 27, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
Yup, and now the second hand market is starting to go crazy.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1762 on: July 27, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
Its crazy how hard it is to find bikes at the moment we searched high and low for a half decent bike for our eldest who I’d like to start having a gentle bash around the trails, was searching for a Liv Bliss disc 2 and it took me ages with most places saying we wouldn’t find one until the 2021 came in sometime in in August. We managed to find exactly what we wanted after one of the stores we had checked out did a stocktake and found one which was in their warehouse but not on their stock list. It’s an xs frame and it came 26 inch wheels hydraulic brakes and shimano running gear. Should be perfect for an 8 year old who is pretty tall for her age. This particular model  in the 2021 range apparently looses the disc brakes and goes back to a v type brake which I wasn’t keen on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1763 on: July 27, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »
Good find!

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1764 on: July 27, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Perfect, lucky find
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1765 on: July 28, 2020, 07:52:10 AM »
Its crazy how hard it is to find bikes at the moment we searched high and low for a half decent bike for our eldest who I’d like to start having a gentle bash around the trails, was searching for a Liv Bliss disc 2 and it took me ages with most places saying we wouldn’t find one until the 2021 came in sometime in in August. We managed to find exactly what we wanted after one of the stores we had checked out did a stocktake and found one which was in their warehouse but not on their stock list. It’s an xs frame and it came 26 inch wheels hydraulic brakes and shimano running gear. Should be perfect for an 8 year old who is pretty tall for her age. This particular model  in the 2021 range apparently looses the disc brakes and goes back to a v type brake which I wasn’t keen on.

Nice find!!

I’m sure your 8 year old will be fine on that size.
My taller than average just turned 8 year old is handling his XS frame Norco Storm on 27.5’s with no issues..... hopefully he gets more than a few years out of it.

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1766 on: July 28, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
Nice find!!

I’m sure your 8 year old will be fine on that size.
My taller than average just turned 8 year old is handling his XS frame Norco Storm on 27.5’s with no issues..... hopefully he gets more than a few years out of it.

That's exactly what we are hoping, shes on a 20'' avanti at the moment and she didnt look like she would get long out of a 24 inch.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1767 on: July 28, 2020, 10:28:10 AM »
I've always got my money back on kids bikes. If you buy a good bike to start with there is always a large 2nd hand market for them, especially at the moment. I've had to upgrade every year so just as well.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1768 on: July 28, 2020, 10:29:57 AM »
I've always got my money back on kids bikes. If you buy a good bike to start with there is always a large 2nd hand market for them, especially at the moment. I've had to upgrade every year so just as well.
So true just sold the Avanti for 3/4 of what we paid for it 3 years ago :)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1769 on: July 28, 2020, 03:19:58 PM »
Did a 20km ride on wet, gravelly/rocky trails yesterday.

Gave the bike a gentle hosing (using shower setting not high pressure) with the garden hose to clean grit off the frame and cassette etc.

Video below.

https://youtu.be/BCVpIKJIXP4

You sure it is the freehub usually crunching noise is crap in the chain as it connects the gear teeth. Degrease your chain, wipe it all off and get between the chain links. Then put a quality dry lube on it. You will have to clean the rear cassette and front chain rings as well as any mud left there will get back on the chain and problem starts again
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1770 on: August 01, 2020, 07:40:24 PM »
You sure it is the freehub usually crunching noise is crap in the chain as it connects the gear teeth. Degrease your chain, wipe it all off and get between the chain links. Then put a quality dry lube on it. You will have to clean the rear cassette and front chain rings as well as any mud left there will get back on the chain and problem starts again

Watch the video more closely. The crunching was occurring while the rear wheel was free wheeling, nothing to do with the chain or cassette, as it crunches the hub lightly engages while the wheel is spinning turning the chain.

The chain and cassette was squeaky clean when I took the video anyway. I use a park tool chain cleaning tool and degreaser after a wet ride.

The bike shop has fixed it for me, there was apparently a slight misalignment of the free hub body which with a little pressure caused the horrible noise and caused it to lightly engage while free wheeling.
Anyway they disassembled and serviced it for me and it’s running sweet now.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1771 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:51 PM »
Wifey has been doing some light trails on the Aldi 29er, which is great, but she complaining about struggling to climb. Wouldn't have been a problem with the 1x10 Deore drivetrain except we stole it and put it on my sons' bike and his 9 speed stuff onto hers. Ooops. So I ordered a 9 speed 11t-40t Sunrace cassette and attempted to do an upgrade. Even though the Acera rear mech is a long cage, nothing I did would make it play nice with the 40t sprocket. I put a b link on it(effectively a hanger extender), tried a longer b screw, reversed the b screw, took the B link off, jumped up and down on one leg whilst rubbing my belly and patting my head. Nothing worked.
So the 11t-36t cassette is back on until I can come up with a solution. I'm thinking about grabbing a Deore rear mech but it's max. is 36t same as the Acera. Don't wat to buy one to find it doesn't work either. Sunrace sell a rear mech to suit the cassette but availability in Oz is scarce.
 Any ideas??????
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Mapomatic

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1772 on: August 02, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
Smaller chain ring in front?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1773 on: August 02, 2020, 06:17:09 PM »
Smaller chain ring in front?

Agreed, but that is another level of compatibility PITA

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1774 on: August 04, 2020, 07:18:42 AM »
Hey guys I’m after some advice.

Wanting to purchase something for the 8km daily commute and also that my wife can ride with the kids along bike paths. We are very similar in height so can share frames.

Key points I am after are the bike must be robust and low maintenance, have hydraulic brakes and preferably some fast rolling 700C wheels/tyres. Don’t need or want front suspension, would be nice to be able to add rear rack and fenders (fenders not essential).

Does anyone have experience with Shimano’s 8 speed internally geared hub? Specifically the cheaper Nexus.
I have been eyeing off the Polygon Path I8 and Marin Presidio bikes on bicycles online that are paired with the IGH and a gates belt drive. Are these systems truly lower maintenance and more robust than derailleur/chain setups.
I don’t mind cleaning and maintaining my mountain bike after each big ride. But for my commuting I want something that I can just throw in the shed and forget about until the next ride.