Author Topic: "what does it mean"  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
"what does it mean"
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
I've seen on a few dvd's and some articles about trip conditions being described as suitable for heavy duty fwd's...does this mean standard and not soft roaders or 4wds that have been modified....sorry if this is a silly question
                    many thanks for your help
                         scott
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:12:12 AM by Tracey family »

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
Re: "what doe's it mean"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
I'm probably gunna shoot my self in the foot hear but, could you be more specific give an example of the track or article your referring to, and what is your vehicle, any mods etc....

Troy
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
im driving a current model triton duel cab towing a trackabout with no mods only a snorkel and its no particular trip or track it could be an outback trip or a high country track but they all seem to be either remote or on the rough side but having said that they also appear to be in reach of most 4wders
   sorry if this appears confusing but im only new to this wonderfull life style.. :-[
         :cheers: scott
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:13:02 AM by Tracey family »

Scott and Glenyse Tracey

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
Scott. usually these comments refer to a truck that is not a soft roader. Rav4 etc. They would be referring to at least All Terrains, maybe a small life 50cm and a transfer case, ie, low range.

There's a lot of arse covering in the write ups as well so don't be put off, have a look around on here etc. I think you will get better detail from here than most other places...
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »
I'd echo SteveandViv's comments. They probably just mean a proper 4wd. Ie, something with a low-range transfer case or lockable centre diff, and decent underbody clearance. Without starting a fight, that's the usual line-in-the-sand.

You'll also see signs out in the bush saying things to the effect of "Suitable for high-clearance 4WDs only" - generally this just means the same as above, a "proper" 4WD. IE, technically I have 2 x 4WDs, the Pathfinder (play nice now people  ;D ), and the Subaru Impreza. The above sign tells me that I probably shouldn't be taking the Impretzel down said track (but I'd be tempted to give it a shot).

A current model triton would certainly fit the category of High Clearance 4WD, as to "Heavy Duty 4WD", as Troy has alluded to, it's a bit open ended, but I'd be tempted to give it a go. Again, as Steve says I'd probably be wanting to invest in a set of good tyres (AT's at least, in a LT construction for strength) for peace of mind, and maybe a bullbar for approach angle clearance, but careful driving would get around that.

Don't worry about the Trackabout - you're unlikely to be able to get the Triton anywhere that will phase the camper. That's the main reason we bought one!  ;D ;D

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
Matto :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:22:10 PM by Matto »
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: "what does it mean"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
As you admit you are new at this, try to hook up with some people who know what they are doing - you will learn a great deal. If you happen to go out with people who don't know what they are doing you will probably learn even more "by the mistakes they make" ;D

Try to travel with another vehicle if you are unsure and more importantly learn some recovery techniques and carry your own recovery equipment.

Don't be afraid to have a go but don't be embarassed by turning around either.
Best of luck with it all

John
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts. Your answers have certainly cleared up the questions I had. Once again myswaggers have come to the rescue  ;D

:cheers: Scott

Scott and Glenyse Tracey

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
At Bendleby ranges last year on a myswag (SA meet two http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=5128.0) trip one of the members had a new, standard triton.  Apart from some scrapes on the towbar it had no problem going the same places everyone else went (including Billy Goat ridge).  This was loose, rocky and steep with a few small steps for fun.  Quite a capable vehicle.

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:17:48 PM »
im driving a current model triton duel cab towing a trackabout with no mods only a snorkel and its no particular trip or track it could be an outback trip or a high country track but they all seem to be either remote or on the rough side but having said that they also appear to be in reach of most 4wders
   sorry if this appears confusing but im only new to this wonderfull life style.. :-[
         :cheers: scott

G'day,

Without sounding too flippant, go wherever the bloody hell you like........... a maintained current model true 4x4 of any breed ,and a Trackabout CT..........pick a spot on a map and have a go, 95% of the time with a bit of thought and planning you'll get there...  a good mate of mine uses this as a bit of a risk assessment when off the beaten track...... travel in 2wd till ya stop, then consider lockin' the hubs in and battling on, or find another perfect place.......... not a bad way to go i reckon.... fair dinkum, you'd be surprised as to where you can get with a bit of clearance and a bit of common sense, especially when you are not up against mud or deep sand.

Many happy miles to you!!
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:39:22 PM »
I started with a 92 triton duel cab with the 4G54 petrol 4 banger in it I gave every thing a red hot go (but it only cost me 5k) and found I could get most places in stock form with just a set of A/T's and scant disregard for common cents. had a ball in it yep I broke it several times but I learned a hell of a lot about 4wding, now I have an 88 troll duel cab and love it no lockers nothing flash just the OE LSD and some lift and tyres, been to the cape and all over townsville region and almost unstoppable, do some local stuff first with some local 4wder's get to know your vehicle and how to get the most out of it, as said before don't be afraid to give it a go, and try some different lines IFS trucks drive very different to beam axle trucks so what works for some might not work for you. get some recovery gear (shakles 4.5T 8000kg snatch glovers min) and go have some fun ;D
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 07:05:03 AM »
I spent 3 1/2 years driving my 77LX Torana 173  3 on the tree around Aus . I went places , collected scratchers & dints in placer the GM never expected . The dint in the rear right floor pan dont ask . The only thing to remember is a high clearence rig will get you deeper in to troble than a low unit . Using your brain & not something lowre on the body , You dont have to rush in to troble . The mian diferance is the high clearence rigs seem to travel better in the long run  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:26:13 AM »
I had a diesel ML that i put through some decidely "High Clearance areas" on several trips and also plenty of sand.
Tips for you in rocky/articulation heavy tracks would be to lose the side steps and get some sliders (Plus they look COOL). Upgrade your standard Bridgestone HT for some 265/75x16 D694's or BFG AT in the same size. This will give an effective 1.5" lift and fill out the guards much better.

Either way, the Triton is a more than capable vehicle in the hands of a thoughtful driver.

I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline BradandPeta

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I have a friend's with Jayco's ... I need new ones
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
They are just trying to be diplomatic if they wanted to say who really couldn't go down the track they would say and I quote myself here "no Scott's allowed"  ;D