Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 28364 times)

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
if you come last in an olympic swimming event it means that you are the 8th fastest in the world.

not too shabby coming in fifth - especially for a porker - like to see some of the fatties on here - myself included move 1/2 that fast ;)
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

GreenLeader

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
Good Olympic result: the fat chick came fifth in her swim. Why was she there in the first place?

As a journalist of 50 years standing I would have expected more from you Tony.

We should open up more off topic discussions, it brings out more of the character of people and chance to see what colour they really bleed.

As a sport obsessed country it's great to see that top 5 in the world is just not good enough to be proud of. Bugger the CV for the past XX years. What has she done for us NOW. Pretty f_cked view in my opinion.

Glass houses would be well remembered. Lets go back and have a look at the photos from MySwag trips and get togethers, now there are some great examples of health right there.

It's all good though, I can just make a reference to having another drink and charging through another slab and then finished it off with some crap emoicon - another original quote coming right up...

Big Jules you can remove me from the member list. No need to be a member if the only posts you put up are like the above.

Later Days,

GL..

Marschy

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
GreenLeader, whilst I agree with your sentiment. The idea of a forum is where people can express their opinion, for better or worse. Surely you read other threads before joining and saw that trashing went on before you joined. Which begs the question, why did you join in the first place, and what made you get past the opening salvo that started trashing the Olympics on the first post?

???

GreenLeader

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
To be honest Marschy I'm not sure which part of my post you agree with.

Whilst I don't agree with most of the posts in the Olympic thread I can respect the opinion. The reply was to an individual statement NOT the Olympic thread.

Provide me links to where we trash people in such an open way. Correct me if I am worng but that what I thought members on this site liked the most - a friendly place.

And to answer your last question which has been done before, I joined because it provided great information and you needed to be a full memebr to access ALL forums.

Marschy

The Olympics
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »
To be honest GreenLeader I wasn't expecting an answer.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »
Quote from: GreenLeader
. Correct me if I am worng but that what I thought members on this site liked the most - a friendly place.

If you dont think the people on this forum are friendly, or that this isn't a friendly forum.....
 your in the wrong place - by a long shot.

This is easily the most social easy going forum I've ever been part of.

YMMV.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
For my 2c worth I don't think the personal attack is warranted. She is an elite athlete and probaly one of the Olympic athletes that are due some real respect, as for some of the others! the hipe around swimming has lead to this. They seem like whingers to me, what did Stephenie Rice expect if she was injured, maybe if she twitted less her shoulder would recover quicker.

I hate swimming and wish it would go back to the media oblivion it once came from and take most of the other Olympic sports with it.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
I enjoy watching most of the "traditional" olympic sports, athletics, boxing, shooting, archery, maybe even swimming a bit.

I get really pithed of tho, with the influx of "professional" sports into the Olympic Family - tennis FFS, Golf i hear is also getting a run.  Basketball, ok, but it should be like the soccer, where only 3 persons  over 23 years of age should be allowed to compete in each team.   Have no interest in watching professional dudes named bryron and lee roy etc, strut their stuff.

The Equestrian Events are fantastic, I reckon there should be more animal related events.  I reckon fox terrier racing would be a winner, as would dog jumping!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:37:58 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Marschy

The Olympics
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
I'm not a fan of the events that are judged, then a formula is applied to an aggregate score to arrive at a final score. I much prefer the sports where an outcome is determined by who came first, who got more goals, who ran the fastest, and where the outcome is not influenced by who is sitting on the judging panel

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
Good Olympic result: the fat chick came fifth in her swim. Why was she there in the first place?
FFS Because she's GOOD ENOUGH to QUALIFY od, and assuming you are an od, she will still be able to swim faster at your age than you can walk now  ???
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »

Sorry, buts thats a pretty poor comment by anyones standards.

It does however give us a prime example of tall poppy syndrome, sandwiched in a fine layer of ignorance and buffoonery.

Keep up the good work ... but don't give up your day job.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
The Olympics
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
Gee, that little comment poked a stick into a hornet's nest!
I'd better not comment on more recent results, including the swimmer whose preoccupation with the vacuous pursuit of Twitter and Facebook seems to have cost her the gold medal she was so cockily confident of winning.
Or the other one with the shoulder problem and enough tears to fill the Olympic pool.
At the moment, that paragon of sporting excellence, Khazakstan, has three gold medals. Australia has one. We live in interesting times.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:36 PM »
At the moment, that paragon of sporting excellence, Khazakstan, has three gold medals. Australia has one. We live in interesting times.

borat - kazakhstan national anthem Small | Large
  :D
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
You sound like the kid that was always picked last at playtime at school for a game of footy.

EDIT, My cousin was also in the games this week.....No he isn't "fat"...but either is Leisel.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:47:11 PM by GU Rich »
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Tassie devils

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
You sound like the kid that was always picked last at playtime at school for a game of footy.

EDIT, My cousin was also in the games this week.....No he isn't "fat"...but either is Leisel.
Well said how did your cousin go?

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
I have only just started to follow the Olympics ... looked up running ... clicked the first thing that caught my eye
Sexy Athlete Warmup Dance
   ... one very bubbly / happy / excited young lady .. good on her ... and she won as well ...

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
Well said how did your cousin go?
Not bad TD, No doubt a bit fatigued after the Tour De France.

Cheers
Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
Now there is a girl to watch! Excited, happy and oozing good sportsmanship.

Like I tell my girls, sport without good sportsmanship is not worth attending or watching. Its okay to be dissapointed in your results or calls made by a ref, but always always exhibit good sportsmanship.

That quote regarding Leisel Jones is uncalled for and very dissrespectful to someone who earned her spot at this olympics based on her times in March this year, This is her fourth Olympics (and the only Australian swimmer, male or female to qualify for four olympics) and we dont expect her to have the same body shape she did 12 years ago when she was 15, but amazingly she has the same form and is still outswimming and outclassing her Australian competition.

Im proud of her efforts wether she wins a medal or not, she is the best our counrty has to offer. I do not equate someones ability to bring home a medal with their worth as a person and would never stoop to derogitory and personal attacks based on what you think you see.

Out of 48 swimmers who were skilled enough to qualify to swim the 100mtr Breastsroke at the Olympics Leisel came in as the 5th fastest (1.48secs outside the fastest time) I know if that was my daughter I would be very proud indeed and would not apreciate rude and uneducated remarks from someone who probably could not swim the stroke in the correct form yet alone make it 25mtrs in the 1min 6secs Leisel did 100mtrs in.

To say I am dissapointed in comments like this is an understatement, where is the pride in our country and all the people who go out there to positively represent it? Whether it be sporting, academic or other endevours - its not much to ask for that we give Aussies in all their positive flavours the general support of our nation for a job well done or an effort well tried.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
I enjoy watching most of the "traditional" olympic sports, athletics, boxing, shooting, archery, maybe even swimming a bit.

I get really pithed of tho, with the influx of "professional" sports into the Olympic Family - tennis FFS, Golf i hear is also getting a run.  Basketball, ok, but it should be like the soccer, where only 3 persons  over 23 years of age should be allowed to compete in each team.   Have no interest in watching professional dudes named bryron and lee roy etc, strut their stuff.

The Equestrian Events are fantastic, I reckon there should be more animal related events.  I reckon fox terrier racing would be a winner, as would dog jumping!!

I do not know how many people would enjoy watching athletes running around jumping over dogs... ;D
We don't watch tv (don't own one either), but I have seen some of the hgihlights on the internet.  I have no interest personally, but good on these young people for achieving the best that they can.
Regards
Tjupurula

Tassie devils

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »

To say I am dissapointed in comments like this is an understatement, where is the pride in our country and all the people who go out there to positively represent it? Whether it be sporting, academic or other endevours - its not much to ask for that we give Aussies in all their positive flavours the general support of our nation for a job well done or an effort well tried.
Hi Lori
I have lived in Australia for 15 years and have huge Australian pride and I am a Pom,having a beautiful Aussie wife and 3 Aussie daughters ,if my girls are ever lucky enough to represent their country it's Aussie Aussie Aussie all the way :cheers:

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »
good on these young people for achieving the best that they can.

And that mate, is one of the most sensible comments in this thread.  It doesnt matter who does what or comes where there, as long as inspires some other kids to get of their bums and have a go. 

For ten years our cars averaged 50,000 km per year.  It was either athletics or soccer every second weekend, usually in Melb, a 400k round trip. We have got a well adjusted and worldly daughter out of it, in part.

Sport (and Arts) have a very important inspirational role in any  community and participation should be encouraged, not just in the $$$$ generating codes such as football and cricket.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Lloyd65

• Tent User
  • Toyota 200 & Kimberly Kamper
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
[/quote]Well said this is the best post I have read :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
Lifes Good :D Lloyd & Pam

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
Hi Lori
I have lived in Australia for 15 years and have huge Australian pride and I am a Pom,having a beautiful Aussie wife and 3 Aussie daughters ,if my girls are ever lucky enough to represent their country it's Aussie Aussie Aussie all the way :cheers:

Good to hear you have pride in your adopted counrty Tassie devil,  I am a pommy decendant, my mother and her family immigrated as 10 pound poms back in the 60s.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
If there was a camping Olympics one of the sports could be folding the en suite tent!!
A great degree of difficulty and high skills needed.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug