Author Topic: The 60's and 70's what a great time.  (Read 31617 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: The 60's and 70's what a great time.
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »
The old Roneo machine, with the purple print?

Remember all too well standing in a very small / hot room with no ventilation  and passing out to the smell of this stuff in  grade three at Dorrigo Primary school .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZEq9gTbfA
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:59:26 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2019, 04:12:22 AM »
A carina boy hey Jeepers....small world hey.
So was I 👍

Yeah man.... where in Carina and what age are you?
We were on Stanley road.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »
We were on Stanley road.
We’ve been in camp hill 22 years now. The bloke who built the Stanley rd shops was our neighbour. The butcher there is still worth the drive.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »
Getting hot bottles of milk at school smoko, if you were lucky you got a chocky one else you got strawberry. Learning to drive the old 7 ton Bedford with split diffs when I was 7 cause you had to and also driving the A554 tractor ploughing paddocks after you got home from school. The Bedford had bucket seats (5 gallon oil drums)  :laugh: :laugh:    No playing about when you grew up on a wheat farm.
Our entertainment was culling roos and pigs at night time with Dad's old ex army .303 and my brothers new Brno .243 running around in the FC ute.
Listening to the radio at night as TV didn't exist. It was a new experience when it came to our area. Channel 9 Tamworth started transmissions 10th April 1965 but we had to erect a 40ft tower to put our antenna on it just to get hazy black and white.
Dealing with Imperial currency  and weights and measures did my head in. 14th February 1966 didn't come fast enough. Can still remember that jingle.
Sitting in the car outside the pub for hours while Dad was inside "conducting business" Every 3 beers he would bring us out a Lemonade. He would then drive home afterwards. God knows how.
The 70's were a new era. Had my first registered car, a Datto 180B that was "warmed" up a bit. Extractors, twin 45DCOE webers and a Momo steering wheel. That old thing used to fly. Installed a Clarion Cassette player in it. Options other than AM radio - so cool. Did a 7.5 hour stint from Sydney to Lismore (average 75MPH), would get locked up for that now.
Sessions at the Bronte Charles most nights, Bondi Lifesavers, Selinas and Maroubra Seals to see live music.
Aaahhhh. Life is so boring now.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
We were on Stanley road.

Just turned 55 and we lived in Pembroke St, with the park behind our back fence.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
Just turned 55 and we lived in Pembroke St, with the park behind our back fence.

I lived on the corner of Stanley road and Prembroke street. (Recently had units built there)

Let me think, up your way on the same side, there was the Carbines, Mark use to knock around with us for a little while.
Further up the street, was the Bunts... with a B.

If you remember, being 55,you might not, my old man use to be Clem Jones chauffeur and lots of people knew our place by the black cars.

Do you remember when the circus set up in that park.
A mate and I washed elephants with a hose to score a free ticket each.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:54:21 PM by Jeepers Creepers »

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »
I lived on the corner of Stanley road and Prembroke street. (Recently had units built there)

Let me think, up your way on the same side, there was the Carbines, Mark use to knock around with us for a little while.
Further up the street, was the Bunts... with a B.

If you remember, being 55,you might not, my old man use to be Clem Jones chauffeur and lots of people knew our place by the black cars.

Do you remember when the circus set up in that park.
A mate and I washed elephants with a hose to score a free ticket each.

Washing elephants probably gave you your love of big trunks, hence the cadillac ;D ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »
It wasn't much of a circus either, some smelly animal, some knob dressed up like a cross between a Nazi SS officer and bus conductor running the show.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
Jeepers...I remember as a little kid elephants from the circus coming right up to our back fence.
My dad used to go around the park with a wheelbarrow and pick up their droppings for the garden.

I also used to hang around M.Slack, the carbines, macphillips used to live across the road from me.

If you lived on the corner then my mum used to mind you as a kid sometimes !!

PM on the way 👍

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2019, 02:52:09 AM »
Yep, as little kid in the 60's, archer63's Mum would mind me from time to time.  ;D

Hey, what ever became of Mark Carbine?
I can vaguely remember Martin Slack after I saw his name.... did he live at the bottom of the hill on the opposite side to you?

Do you remember, oh geez, not sure if I should admit to this, the time the park went up in flames?
It burnt right up to the houses, yours included.

Ummm, that was me....  :-[

There where piles of dead grass from the mowing and a couple got set alight by some other kids and just burnt themselves out.
So I set one off, the westerly wind kicked up and in seconds, the whole park went up and nearly burnt down a row of houses.

Man oh man, was my arse sorry for that one.
Sitting down was a whole new experience after the ol man got a hold of me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:55:16 AM by Jeepers Creepers »

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2019, 02:53:00 AM »
We’ve been in camp hill 22 years now. The bloke who built the Stanley rd shops was our neighbour. The butcher there is still worth the drive.

Where in Camp Hill?

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2019, 05:41:18 AM »
Martin became a cop and the last I saw him was in the 80’s in Emerald. No idea about Mark...never heard or seen him since the eighties.

There were fires occasionally but I don’t remember any particular one. I must have a been a good kid....oh ....except for blowing up people’s wooden letter boxes to pieces with combined half dozen double bungers together during cracker night week...oh and maybe a few other things 🤡

Not so strange that you’ve always had a connection to cars I suppose...I just can’t quite get my head around how some Shitboxes from the seventies are now seen as cool... like 180 b’s or those ugly 120 y’s like my cousin had 😳
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:46:53 AM by archer63 »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2019, 05:46:59 AM »
We bought my wife’s grandparent’s little post war 10 square house in Raven st in the 90’s, then we moved to Citrine st (whites hill) in 2003. Still here. Also had a house in Clara st for a few years until the first home owners grants took all the tenants away. The company I work for built the woolies complex on Samuel st in 2003. We had a lot of issues with crap ground and digging piers. One old codger dropped by one day and told us the story of how his dad used to rent boats out on the lake that was there before Clemm Jones drained it to develop the suburb. Everything made more sense after that. Harold st was named after his dad apparently. We like this part of town a lot.
We’ve built a fair few blocks of units in Carina. It’s changing quickly now. One of the reasons we left Raven st was every block was being split. Ours was bought and split too.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:54:41 AM by GBC »

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2019, 06:01:07 AM »
A mate of mine, Graham Kermond lived in Raven street.
About 3/4 of the way down on the right.

Mark Brown lived up the O.C. road end at the base of the hill, also on the right going down.

The area of Camp hill and Carina has changed so much, but stuff me sideways, some wicked fun was had in the day.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
I just googled them, they were 77 we were 57. Did he ride a motorbike?

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
I know what a friggin suicide door is....  :D I drag raced a 34 ford.

I was how ever, stumped on something from the 50's with them, but yes to the fiat and Vauxhall.

Can't think of any USA iron from the 50's or 60's with 'em.

Lincoln Continental, 4 door Ford Thunderbirds are 2 that come to mind.

One of my memories is buying 45 records from the Shell servo for 5shillings then 50c after the conversion, going down to the fish & chip shop for  sixpence worth of chips and sharing them with your mates, standing outside Farmers electrical store watching TV with no sound, walking a couple of miles to school, walking to your mates place to see if he was home to go and have some fun(make sure you're home for tea, yes mum)slot cars, thick shakes with real icecream in them, pies with god knows in them, going to the drive-in in my purple FC Wagon lying on the mattress in the back with the back door open watching the movie(or not :angel:) buying a 9 gallon keg and going down to Belmont Sth beach for a party, I could go on.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
You know what I really loved about the sixties and half of the seventies, I didn't pay for a thing. :D
Stupidly I got work in 76 at fifteen and the bills started rolling in and haven't stopped since. >:D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
So what was everyone's first job, seeing pottsy bought it up. (Ya such a pottsy)

I did Caddy work at the golf course from age 12 and pumped petrol from the same age I think.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
First real job out of school was Boat building, 44 hrs a week and $64.10 in the pay packet.  ;D
First $1 ever earned at a  job was,  age 5 > 6 picking up buckets of chat potatoes after the pickers had been up the rows .
Odd jobs during the High school years were in a bakery making pies,  off siding with a courier truck driver and fencing work .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:45:36 PM by edz »

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
Age 12 selling papers on the weekend, age 14 school holidays as a truck jock on a timber delivery truck, age 15 1st full time job as a cabinetmakers apprentice, what a shock, 52 hour week with overtime, 8 hrs mon, we'd, fri, 12 hrs tue, thus and 4 hrs sat.
I reckon when I retired I was doing about 50 -55 hrs a week as Sales Manager for Irwin Tools (Newell Brands)
Hate to think how many hours worked, how many nights away from home, how many kilometres travelled. I tried to remember all the company cars I had the other night and gave up, got confused trying to work it out in my head. What a Pottsy!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:45 PM »
its amazing the things that have gone, the milko coming round - glass bottles, paperboys - hating that initial 5 minutes in the rain!... the bread delivery, etc ... many more...

All jobs most of us had at sometime, all ****ed due to minimum wages bullShit and gettin to dangerous for kids to be out and about like that these day
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
Hungry Jacks for 3 weeks at 15, picture framing place for a few months...then starting working for the great devil Qhealth at 16.5 for 38 years.

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »
Me in the 70s and early 80s was crushing aluminium cans, paper boy, letterbox pamphlet delivery. Later in the 80s I was pumping petrol.

Then the first real job. Qantek (Qantas IT). Moved back to Sydney and was doing 4x 12 hour shifts (7am -> 7pm 2x days, then 7pm -> 7am 2 days). Four days on, four days off. Didn't those hours put a major hole in an 18 years olds social life!!!

I remember at the end of primary school (early 80s), if you could manage to spend $1 for little + big lunch, you didn't need dinner :-)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 06:05:51 PM by Onion »
Trackabout owner.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
Self employed from around 12yo.... collecting golf balls from the dams at the local golf course and selling them back to the golfers.

First “real” job was as a trainee engineer straight out of school, earning about $160/week.  Now that’s over 30 years ago so $160 bought a lot of  :cheers:, petrol and occasional “donation” to  :police: