Author Topic: Remote Control Cars  (Read 105798 times)

Marschy

Re: Remote Control Cars
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
On second thoughts, the Blade looks like good value, the spare parts are reasonably priced, they have most of the parts that would require repair, it has inbuilt gps with altitude hold and return to home, for these last two items the price is pretty good.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
Watch the tube and google forums.
Multirotor forums is ok and fpvlab is also ok.
No forums like the swag though.
Maybe we need to start another thread and leave these cars alone!
Marshy those motors look good in the specs. Google them to find reviews. I noticed the wires come from the top and not the bottom. You will also require prop adapters if they don't come with any.[Edit] Looked at the listing and they do come with all that is needed.
Regards
Crispy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:35:50 AM by Crisp Image »

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
On second thoughts, the Blade looks like good value, the spare parts are reasonably priced, they have most of the parts that would require repair, it has inbuilt gps with altitude hold and return to home, for these last two items the price is pretty good.

Now I'm even more confused than I was before hahaha

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Marschy

« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »
Hey Crispy,

Are you using FPV goggles or a monitor?

I'm putting a wish list together at the moment of all the bits and pieces I need to record FPV and have OSD/RTH/RTL functionality. I like the look of the Cyclops Storm OSD, but the RTH/RTL functionality doesn't work with copters. I've ordered a KK2 version 2.1 flight board from Hobbyking as it is easier to setup than the KK v2.3 flight board that comes with my kit, and for under $20 is worth a shot.

How do you find the video resolution with the camera via the transmitter?

This is the flight board I am looking at. It has autopilot, on screen display of gps telemetry, and can monitor receiver signal strength, battery capacity and comes with free software for programming flights onto the control board.

APM 2.6 Set

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »
Hey Crispy,

Are you using FPV goggles or a monitor?

I'm putting a wish list together at the moment of all the bits and pieces I need to record FPV and have OSD/RTH/RTL functionality. I like the look of the Cyclops Storm OSD, but the RTH/RTL functionality doesn't work with copters. I've ordered a KK2 version 2.1 flight board from Hobbyking as it is easier to setup than the KK v2.3 flight board that comes with my kit, and for under $20 is worth a shot.

How do you find the video resolution with the camera via the transmitter?

This is the flight board I am looking at. It has autopilot, on screen display of gps telemetry, and can monitor receiver signal strength, battery capacity and comes with free software for programming flights onto the control board.

APM 2.6 Set

Cheers, Marschy

FPV yes. I am using the Skyzone goggles from Foxtechfpv http://www.foxtechfpv.com/skyzone-goggles-rtf-combo-p-1240.html
I got the kit but don't use the Vtx. Instead I am using the immersion Vtx.
The video drops in and out when close but is much better when further away. Flying FPV is a strange feeling but I am getting use to it. When I get the new motors the FPV camera is going to be a GoPro black 3 on a gimbal.

So my list of parts are (or will be)
T motors 2216-11 900kv
DJI 30a ESC
F450 Flamewheel frame
Generic landing gear
AR8000 Rx
Foxtech Gimbal
Immersion EZOSD
Immersion Video Tx 5.8ghz
Circular polarised antenna
Props TBA after testing
Sky Zone FPV Goggles
Turnergy Nanotech 5000mah 4s bat
Turnergy Nanotech 1000mah 3s bat (For FPV)

I have on order a KK2.1 FC and other parts to make a Tricopter with image number 1 (13yo boy)
Should be fun.

Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
I can see why you're getting bigger motors now. The landing gear is quite bulky. I've seen these on eBay/aliexpress but not on an actual quad. The picture tells the story. Just checked the tracking on my quad, it has arrived in Sydney from China so should be here early next week

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
Bulky yes but not heavy.
It about 450g with the gopro and gimbal fitted.

Marschy

« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
I'm also replacing my props. I'm getting 5 pairs of CW and CCW props in orange and black. It really helps with my UFO copter for orientation, so should help with the f450

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
New Thread for flying things here
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=34452.0
We can leave the cars alone now.
Regards
Crispy

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2014, 07:31:39 AM »
oh no, the cheapy is now on its final hub being held together by superglue  :'(

but, the boy has a new one on the way. He is a bit more interested in going faster and tearing around on the dirt than the full on crawling. Was hell bent on getting a Wraith for him and have been on the lookout for a good second hand one for a while, but alot of people seam to want alot of money for trucks that have been flogged alot. So I then thought about buying a kit and building it up and strengthening it, this was going to end up a budget of about $800 when all done and dusted.

Then a mate of mine was looking at selling a couple of his trucks. He had a Poison Spider Wraith which we drove, but was a bit dissapointed in the width and turning circle compared to the Wrangler. He also had a hybrid full metal caged Wroncho (Wraith/SCX-10 combination). This combines the speed and bashability of the Wraith with the axles (with hub extenders) of the SCX-10 which shares all the same spares as the Wrangler. Width wise it fits about half way between the Wrangler and the Wraith...........................price was too good to pass up given that I knew the history and the parts on the truck................................and Blake is loving it :)

Pics to follow later when I can get him to stop it long enough to take an unblurred photo
Cheers, Craig

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »
Young bloke picked up another toy car before Christmas. It has a broken front lower control arm. So far I've purchased every single lower control arm eBay has to offer, and all are different. Local hobby shops don't give a rats as it's not the brand they sell or deal in.  >:(

Can anyone recommend a shop I can send the sample to, to identify it and supply a new one? Apparantly it's too hard for most.
I believe it to be a 1/8 Hobao brand ???

Reason the young bloke ended up with it was it was too hard for the original owner to source one too.

Thanks, Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
Any Pictures of the car?

I know Hobby Habit here in Adelaide deal with Hoabo.

HoMEr

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Marschy

« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
If you can determine if Hobby Habit have the part you are after, I can assist in getting the part for you. They are literally 5 minutes from me (same suburb).

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
great thread........

I have always ben temped to buy a rock crawler........

my budget cannot quite get me a SCX10......

considering a HBX Rockfighter http://www.rcgarage.com/rock-fighter-1-10-scale-electric-rock-crawler-with-4-wheel-steering-acdc-charger-7-2v-battery-hbxrockfighter.html

interested in your thoughts?

cheers

KingBilly

« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
Can anyone recommend a shop I can send the sample to, to identify it and supply a new one? Apparantly it's too hard for most.

Mate, give these guys a call and see what they can do for you - Oz RC Models, Unit 31, 115 Robinson Rd East, Geebung QLD 4034, phone:(07) 3265 4547.  They normally work from 11am to 6pm but have a large ebay operation as well as their well stocked shop so they often don't pick up the phone and let it go to the answering machine.  Leave a message and they get back to you.  I have had some really good dealings with them.  All young fellas and pretty switched on and passionate about RC stuff.

KB

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2014, 02:07:43 PM »
Mate, give these guys a call and see what they can do for you - Oz RC Models, Unit 31, 115 Robinson Rd East, Geebung QLD 4034, phone:(07) 3265 4547.  They normally work from 11am to 6pm but have a large ebay operation as well as their well stocked shop so they often don't pick up the phone and let it go to the answering machine.  Leave a message and they get back to you.  I have had some really good dealings with them.  All young fellas and pretty switched on and passionate about RC stuff.

KB

dropping in on the way home today........

cheers

KingBilly

« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Next to TJM but down the back.  Look for a blue BMW sedan out the front of the shop.  Owner's wheels if he is there.

KB

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
Thanks people, will try to remember to grab a pic tonight. I'll give both those mentioned a buzz tomorrow.

Failing that, anyone have a CNC mill in their back shed and too much time on their hands  ;D

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Young bloke picked up another toy car before Christmas. It has a broken front lower control arm. So far I've purchased every single lower control arm eBay has to offer, and all are different. Local hobby shops don't give a rats as it's not the brand they sell or deal in.  >:(

I believe it to be a 1/8 Hobao brand ???

Reason the young bloke ended up with it was it was too hard for the original owner to source one too.

Thanks, Shane.

Shane, I have been dealing alot with Karl from Mischief and Mayhem Hobbie, and he is local in Nambour for us. He has always been very helpful and especially enthusiaatic when something is a bit "out of the ordinary"
Cheers, Craig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »
Shane, I have been dealing alot with Karl from Mischief and Mayhem Hobbie, and he is local in Nambour for us. He has always been very helpful and especially enthusiaatic when something is a bit "out of the ordinary"

Thanks Craig,

Shane.

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
great thread........

I have always ben temped to buy a rock crawler........

my budget cannot quite get me a SCX10......

considering a HBX Rockfighter http://www.rcgarage.com/rock-fighter-1-10-scale-electric-rock-crawler-with-4-wheel-steering-acdc-charger-7-2v-battery-hbxrockfighter.html

interested in your thoughts?

cheers

I saw one at a big chain Hobby Shop.  That fan cooled ESC was enough for me to doubt its practicality?
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »
Young bloke got a cheap car for his birthday last year. Only bought a cheap one to see if he'd be interested in it and if he'd actually maintain it. Like a cheap camper trailer, I expected to be fixing it continually and it wouldn't be finished well from factory. (OMG, did I say that out loud  :o )

It was real slow and had a turning circle similar to a Mack truck. So I modified it  ;D

Leaned the little engine out so it would actually rev, ripped the front drive shaft out to make it 2wd, locked up the centre diff and changed the clutch to one that actually locks up. Now it hoots.  ;D

But found the next weakest link. The diff spider gears. Maybe they don't like doing 100% of the drive? As a young fella I locked heaps of diffs by way of CIG, but never have I epoxied one  :D Can teach an old dog new tricks.

Last pic is diff from his toy compared to one of mine.

Shane.

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »
Pic of the other car with the busted lower arm.

Shane.

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
Any Pictures of the car?

I know Hobby Habit here in Adelaide deal with Hoabo.

HoMEr

Started with these guys first and they had the part on the shelf. Turned up today.

If you can determine if Hobby Habit have the part you are after, I can assist in getting the part for you. They are literally 5 minutes from me (same suburb).

Thanks for the offer Marschy, but they express posted it for me.

Thanks all for the help.

Shane.

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
That's awesome news.  Good to see it worked out.

I was in hobby habit today buying the battery and fuel to get the truck running. Fingers crossed it comes alive tomorrow  :D

HoMEr

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer