Author Topic: The journey begins...  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Peeb

• Sleeping Bag User
The journey begins...
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »
G'day folks. My wife and 3 kids (7, 5, 3) have been doing some school holiday tent camping but want to get a CT for more frequent short trips. My wife won't go anywhere that doesn't have a flushing toilet and we are using a Passat 130 TDI wagon so I don't need a big heavy off road job. Really just want a trailer with a big tent on it and a pull out kitchen that can all go up and down in 330 minutes.  Not fussed on electrics or water tanks at this stage.

I've been looking all over the internet so starting to learn a bit more about CTs. I now know, for example,  that the CT builder round the corner (Mountain Trail in Albury) is slightly out of my price target lol. Looking more in the $10K range.

Anyway, you all keep putting up the advice and tips and I'll keep reading them.

Hopefully I won't be back in a month with said Mountain Trail EDX hitched to a Discovery 4, a wopping big pile of debt, and no wife ha ha.

KingBilly

Re: The journey begins...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:14:49 PM »
G'day and welcome to myswag.  Good luck with your seatch for a CT.  Plenty of good info on here.

Happy camping
KB

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »
G'day mate,
I'm not sure where you are however I'm in wodonga.
I have a couple of forward fold campers and a rear fold if you wanted to have a look?
(I am the agent for ecomate campers)
Happy to help with anything else if you need a hand and are local?

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Peeb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
So I'm trying to get a basic but quality camper out of the myriad of choices available. Trailer, tent, kitchen, fridge and battery are all we want. Off-road ability is not needed due to the Passat wagon tow vehicle. My wife insists a 9 foot tent is too small for 3 kids (7, 5 and 3 yrs) so my second hand Johnno's idea is out. It would need the second bedroom and that falls outside the 'quick to put up and away' criteria.

I keep coming back to Blue Tongue's basic camper and Aussie Camper Trailers. Blue Tongue sell out of our local Jayco dealer and Aussie are down in Mornington. Both would be under $10k for a new Australian trailer, tent, Drifta kitchen, Engel and basic battery setup. Blue Tongue make the trailer and import the tent and Aussie say they make both in Australia.

Does anyone have much experience with Aussie Camper Trailers? I've seen a few reviews on Blue Tongue and only one person was unhappy with their tent (they didn't say if they seasoned it before it leaked though..). I've seen The Blue Tongue basic trailer in the flesh and it looks good quality. Also, does anyone have any idea why Aussie Campers advertise their tents as 14oz rip stop for the 7' one but then 450gsm for the 12' one? Why would they do that?

We're taking a Johnno's rental for the weekend in 2 weeks. Will go from there. Advice and comments welcome.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
Welcome Peeb,

Advise is do not rush your decision and stick to your budget,
the right CT for you will come up.
Have a great trip in the Johnno's renter.

Rob

Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Apples69

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:17:35 PM »
Unless you plan on a lot of long stays in one place don't rush into the extra bedroom like we did. Used it once.
Enjoyment of camping is quick set up and quick pack away if you move around and also the amount of canvas you have to carry around is staggering
2011Trackabout Safari and 2016 Prado

Offline Peeb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 06:25:11 AM »
That's why I would prefer a 9' tent. It won't be long before the boys won't want to sleep in the tent anyway. They'll either want swags or tent cots or just their own small tent. SWMBO is coming around. She doesn't want the kids on roll mats but I'm allowed to spend cash on smaller stretchers which will fit in a 9' tent. Their current stretchers are too big.

I watched a guy and his family putting up one of those massive double awning Mars jobs. I offered to help as a storm was coming but he declined. It took them almost 2 hours, took up the whole site and they had to sit inside all weekend. Not my idea of camping.

Offline Apples69

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:35 PM »
Watched a bloke at copeton dam do the same with the same camper. Only way I could get a trailer was to have the extra room built (thanks track about ????)
However I now take a swag as after a few sherbets my snoring keeps the whole camper awake
2011Trackabout Safari and 2016 Prado

Offline evolution

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:45:01 PM »
Hey mate, why don't you look at jetcrew camper in the classifieds here.
It's probably the best quality camper on the market at $8500 and with only a little extra you could get an oztent pop up and just attach it to the end or the side for an extra room.
That way it also gives you some flexibility. 

Cheers
Evo

Offline Peeb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
Cheers Evo. Certainly looks good.

Offline evolution

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
that's ok mate.
If I was in the market for a softfloor camper under 15k this is what I would buy.

Cheers
Evo

Offline Peeb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »
Well it's been six months since my first post. Lots of different ideas and lots of going round in circles. My wife has put her foot down and is insisting on a Swan so the Passat is going and will be replaced with a Discovery 4. We'll see how the next 6 months go...

Offline Jaysea

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • To go where I have never been
    • My 4WD Site
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
That sounds like a win-win to me.  New camper, new 4WD  :cup:
Jaysea

2012 Prado GXL + Adventure Camper

My build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17776.0
My photos & travels: www.lensontheroad.com
My facebook: http://tinyurl.com/k2haolg