Author Topic: From Nissan Urvan to a 2012 Swift Outback .. Hi...  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Learning the Ropes
From Nissan Urvan to a 2012 Swift Outback .. Hi...
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi All,  my partner Richard, dog Hunter and I are keen comfort campers, who get out nearly every weekend to dirt bike (him) and hike (me and the dog).  In 2011 I bought a Nissan Urvan converted by Sunliner and we have loved it, reliable and easy.  In March last year, the dog and I took off for 2 weeks on our own in it, she didn't miss a beat, camping throughout Gippsland and the High Country, i loved it, you can read about it William McInnes's new book 'Holidays'.  Vanlife has been great. But today we bought a 2012 Swift and I'm pretty excited about this new stage.  I will miss the oven in our van, it was such a great addition and I wonder if anyone knows if you could put one in the Swift?  Rich is a 4WD mechanic, so he has a list of additions to start on (e.g storage box, rear wood box, etc).  Our Swift arrives from S.A on Friday.  I'm a keen photographer, so will be posting plenty of pics.  I'm hoping it's as easy as I have read to put up, as I do like taking off on my own on weekends occasionally.  Anyway, hi, have attached some pic's off our van, we will be advertising her within the week.  I'll continue to trawl the forum for Swift info and other ideas.  Cheers Alison
Alison, Richard and Hunter (the dog)
2012 Swift Outback

KingBilly

Re: From Nissan Urvan to a 2012 Swift Outback .. Hi...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »
G'day and welcome to myswag.  Glad you could join us.  Congrats on the Swift purchase  :cup:

Look forward to seeing some of your photos and reading about your travels

Happy camping
KB

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »
Welcome.

the jayco swift are a great little unit, but I reckon it would be a lot cheaper to learn to use a Webber Q as an oven  replacement than retro fit an oven into one, or even better, buy a  camp oven set from Aldi!

That has to be the most comfortable looking camp chair I've ever seen in your pic. Love the sheepskin.

:cheers:

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
Welcome, I look forward to seeing your adventures in the new swift!
Cheers

Strvy

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:34:47 AM »
I have seen old ovens from jayco come up on gumtree pretty cheaply. I thought the new ovens where about 1k or a bit under. They are certainly available on some of the Jayco camper trailers. How much to install - no idea.
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »
Welcome.    Seriously Nice chair!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline Lust for Life

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I've been reading about the Weber and it sounds like the way to go.  I am all about comfort when camping, who isn't I suppose, so the sheepskins are awesome.  We have three, we use them when driving, then they get moved onto the camp chairs and finally to sleep on also.  The dog has one on his camp chair, yes he has his own, otherwise he will just steal yours the minute you get up and he sleeps on his on the floor of the van.  They are great on your camp chair in winter, keeping your back nice and warm, while you toast your front by the fire.  A good camp chair is imperative.. 
2012 Swift Outback

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, we're almost neighbours  ;D Luv that sheep skin  :cup: did you get it locally ? Like your priorites, you have to be comfortable around the fire  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Lust for Life

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum, we're almost neighbours  ;D Luv that sheep skin  :cup: did you get it locally ? Like your priorites, you have to be comfortable around the fire  :cheers:

Hi xcvator, bought three of them at Westfield Southland Shopping Centre, around $80 medium size - $100 for the extra large size..  Ikea have long haired very gorgeous cream coloured ones for $70.00, good size, I have them on dining chairs in the house..  the shorter hair is better for camping.. It's great living down the coast, isn't it, so close to Gippsland and all it has to offer, it's our main camping spot.. cheers.. 
2012 Swift Outback