Author Topic: Virgin to camper trailers!!!  (Read 7606 times)

Offline amydecjez

• Learning the Ropes
Virgin to camper trailers!!!
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »
Hi alll
Me and hubby have two boys aged 3 and 5 , we are looking forward to starting our camper trailer experience!! Here is our delima being complete novices , sticking to a budget of Approx 5k and not requiring an off road camper we were set on purchasing a GIC camper from the RNA camping show in brissy. For $3900 we thought we were on a winner however after googling the reviews on GIC (all bad ) we are worried about spending our minimal budget on a lemon. I apprecitate you get what you pay for but after all the "inclusions" promised at the show by the salesman i called four times to no avail then emailed  to have the promises confirmed in an email which u never got. He  called me 3 weeks later skipping around answering my questions esp confirming if i wait till oct 13 i will get the new model.(the show was jube 6th 2013) Also he promised delievery to my address than he told me over the phone they never do? Any ways to say the least i am feeling doubtfull on paying a deposit. So we have been looking at MCD trailers and hoping for you experienced peeps to offer some advice

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Re: Virgin to camper trailers!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
Send PM to Big Nath. He will help you with a good deal and price from Leisure Matters Campers. Click on this link.

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?action=profile;u=12611

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:08 PM »
Hi guys, I bought a MDC Semi Off-road in January this year as a stop gap for some trips until our new van arrives in September.

We have used it three times so far and have had no troubles even with a very wet Easter.

I have been all under the trailer and double checked all welds etc and all appear to be good quality.

There is a small blemish in the canvas roof about the size of a 5c piece where it is slightly off colour but it doesn't leek there so no problems, didn't even bother going back to MDC about it.

It came standard with the kitchen and stone guard, water tanks, toolbox etc.

I added a innerspring mattress and tropical roof for the main tent.

I think it came in around $4500 full price and we have been happy with it so far.
I would tow it on standard dirt roads but certainly not over goat tracks etc.

We will probably keep it for beach camping etc for those places like straddle that the big unit won't be suitable for.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:13:53 PM by Ynot »
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »
Hey Muzza,

Was just about to say the same thing............. haha, but u beat me to it.... :cheers:

Amydecjez,

There's also many happy owners of GIC & MDC CT's on here......

Don't forget the 2nd hand market, plenty of good used CT's on here........ also have u hired a ct yet, worth doing so u can get a feel for what u want and like......

Oh and by the way, welcome to the Myswag Forum........ you'll get all the info u need here.

Regards,

Barrabart.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:59:52 PM by Barrabart »
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline amydecjez

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
Thanks guys very excited !!! and already feeling the support! i was recommended to this site by good friends of mine who have a top of the range lifestyle but have been away with their friends they met on myswag ! Its a massive investment for us buying a CT even at the lower price range ,any one own or can suggest another CT in our price range ? cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
Quote from: amydecjez
any one own or can suggest another CT in our price range ? cheers
about 500 top quality used trailers out there... better value than buying new..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigmacthepunker

• Swag User
  • Life too short without good music.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
Hi amydecjez,
We looked at GIC, as we are walking distance from their factory. My lovely wife when searching around Sydney for other suppliers. We brought a blue tongue semi offload CT. It was a little more than your budget with the extra we added. If I had to to it again, I wouldn't have not purchased the stainless steel kitchen and add a drifta kitchen at a later date. This will help drop the price. Blue tongue use Aussie made trailers with an imported tent. We are happy with ours, check out their web site. We also have a 5 year old and 3 year old and they love it and would be happy to go camping every weekend.  There are a few hire company that hire blue tongue CT to try before you buy. A small issue is that the entrance door is at the back so you need to pass the children after a late night around the camp fire and a few light refreshments.

Cheers
Big G

Offline Talawana5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
Welcome to a great forum, it is full of terrific people who are more than happy to share their experience and knowledge.
I am sure you will make the correct decision when the times comes with your purchase.

Cheers

Offline amydecjez

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »
Thanks guys you have all been encouraging and helpfull, keep the advice coming! Its a big maket the CT world and we feel very bamboozled :)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 07:53:02 AM »
G'Day Amydecjez,

Firstly welcome to the site. I too was in a similar situation and after listening to some of the salesmen at a camping show and walking away checking my pockets to see if I had my wallet and money taken I wasn't sure what to do.

I started keeping an eye on Gumtree and ebay and got lucky and found a 2nd hand one that had been modded and upgraded by it's owner and obviously looked like it had been well looked after. Had an inspection and said yep and haven't looked back. I never discovered this site until after the purchase so I would add the classifieds here in the list to keep an eye on.

My advice, like others, is if you are a first timer you will get a significantly better 2nd hand one for your money especially if it is someone on here who has improved it since their new purchase.

Should add that the manufacturers / suppliers who contribute on here are not any of the ones I spoke to so don't fall into my generalisation above.

Rod

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=29582.0 seems like a bargain if you could make a roady to Sydney town.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline MDCowners

• Learning the Ropes
  • 2008 grand vitara towing mdc v3 camper
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
Hi AmyDecJez,
Just to add to the conversation. I purchased a semi offroad V3 MDC camper back in April and have done over 6000 ks and camped in it 4 times in lots of rain and wind with no problems. I am a busted arse fitter/welder by trade and was very impressed with the overall build of the trailer and so far the tent has held up. One of the problems I have in setting up is the two short upright corner extension poles over the bed that are awkward to install and as a short person and getting older it tests me. I have wired in a 12v battery system in the toolbox and made two led strip lights and intend getting an 100w solar panel. I have checked the Wheel bearings and they needed no grease or adjustments and after long distances are not hot. Have had no need to follow up with the company in Brisbane so I cannot comment on their backup.
Bill
just loving life

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
Welcome aboard, Amy, Jez and boys.  Good to see you guys are here.  There is plenty of advice on all subjects here. Look forward to camping with you guys when you decide on the CT. :)

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
Hello you & hubby
Welcome to this fantastic place called MySwag.  You'll find heaps of info and good people here.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline happylife

• Learning the Ropes
  • we like rugged on a budget
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
Thanks guys very excited !!! and already feeling the support! i was recommended to this site by good friends of mine who have a top of the range lifestyle but have been away with their friends they met on myswag ! Its a massive investment for us buying a CT even at the lower price range ,any one own or can suggest another CT in our price range ? cheers
other than aussie GIC Camper Trailer? we looked and looked and looked and nothing but imports or pretend Australian manufacturers (bolt the thing or tack the chinese steel & parts together in 48hours), I guess you mainly want the shiny fold out attachments promoted by smooth sales staff - the trailer isnt as important to many people (can't have both Im afraid)

My suggestion... there are dozens of cheap imports for half the price and usually advertised as "only used twice" so go for one of them.. am I allowed to mention gumtree & ebay for super cheapys??
We took our boilmaker neighbour to run his eye over the GIC construction especially underneath.. his verdict 2.5 out of 5 for beauty and 5 out of 5 for workmanship.
Put my mind to rest as the internet chatter is scary, I do not understand the nastiness (you said all reviews are bad or is it jealousy from competitors) I like mine and dont enjoy reading anonymous forums beat up on GIC.

did you stretch the budget and go for an imported lifestyle model? Happy camping whatever you decided.
 :D mad mick loves this >> :4x4:
Mick & Helen; we own a GIC Australian manufactured Off Road Trailer with imported 25 m2 tent

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
Hi and welcome amydecjez,

Are you new to camping? Maybe you could invest in a good quality stand-alone tent (such as an OzTent), a portable kitchen and a stack of good camping equipment stored in easy-to-carry plastic tubs. This will get you out bush while you 'learn the craft'.

Hope this helps

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Aussie made second hand IMO. Check out the myswag classifieds.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline chazer101

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
Hi alll
Me and hubby have two boys aged 3 and 5 , we are looking forward to starting our camper trailer experience!! Here is our delima being complete novices , sticking to a budget of Approx 5k and not requiring an off road camper we were set on purchasing a GIC camper from the RNA camping show in brissy. For $3900 we thought we were on a winner however after googling the reviews on GIC (all bad ) we are worried about spending our minimal budget on a lemon. I apprecitate you get what you pay for but after all the "inclusions" promised at the show by the salesman i called four times to no avail then emailed  to have the promises confirmed in an email which u never got. He  called me 3 weeks later skipping around answering my questions esp confirming if i wait till oct 13 i will get the new model.(the show was jube 6th 2013) Also he promised delievery to my address than he told me over the phone they never do? Any ways to say the least i am feeling doubtfull on paying a deposit. So we have been looking at MCD trailers and hoping for you experienced peeps to offer some advice
i see you bought a GIC Light Off Road and it went well on your first camping trip, hows it been since then?
I dont believe a lot of the rubbish from other CT owners on forums but as you are an actual owner Id be grateful to get feedback. Im  seriously considering the Commando after going to the showroom.
cheers Charlie

Offline nathan.moles.3

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
I brought a gic commando last month and so farim happy with it havent taken it out as yet justin the progress of getting power in it. I had a couple of minor issues like a hinge on jerry can holder broke off but they replaced it 

Offline chazer101

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
I brought a gic commando last month and so farim happy with it havent taken it out as yet justin the progress of getting power in it. I had a couple of minor issues like a hinge on jerry can holder broke off but they replaced it
Gidday Nathan
I looked to read your posts, as anonymous internet comments by non-owners is irrelevant to my decision. The tent and DIY battery pack photos look good on that rugged trailer of yours. Thanks a lot for sharing from the real world as you seem a straight-up guy.
Good on ya
Charlie or Chaz if you like mate

Offline nathan.moles.3

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »
Gidday Nathan
I looked to read your posts, as anonymous internet comments by non-owners is irrelevant to my decision. The tent and DIY battery pack photos look good on that rugged trailer of yours. Thanks a lot for sharing from the real world as you seem a straight-up guy.
Good on ya
Charlie or Chaz if you like mate
No worries chaz its just like anything u buy these days u get good ones and bad ones and as soon as someone gets a bad one they bag them out but as I said I had a couple of minor issues and they were soon resolved and if I had to get another one yes I probably would and I really like the style of tent that gic have