Author Topic: Power and gas is to expensive.  (Read 199708 times)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
Re: Power and gas is to expensive.
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2018, 06:18:26 AM »
When did batteries become a green option?
Consider the raw materials, manufacture, and disposal.
They will be the next environmental disaster....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:33:49 AM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
Quote from: GeoffA
Give me a number please.....
Nun I'd say
https://previews.123rf.com/images/hedgehog/hedgehog1509/hedgehog150900533/45377535-young-nun-in-religious-concept-eat-banana.jpg
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2018, 11:39:46 AM »
The subsidies for coal and gas generation is very hard to find. A lot of politics involved (they fund many politicians political campaigns) and very difficult to accurately calculate as they range from mining the source fuel all (you can't unlink them, without the mining the coal generation wouldn't occur) the way through to the dumping of waste at the end. There are also many direct and indirect costs which are not born by the generation company during the life of the plant, environmental being just one of them.
They aren't really that hard to quantify, it's not like the government have secret accounts that they use to funnel billions the way of the mining companies, just about all advocates of renewables point to the cost of subsidies to mining as a whole and conflate that with the cost of mining for electricity generation, even then the "subsidies" they mention are generally things like the fuel tax credit which isn't mining specific, it applies to all business equally. The reason that they are "hard to find" is that they don't exist in the way many try to insinuate, what does exist is pretty easy to quantify, just pales into insignificance in comparison to renewables. Whether that cost is justified on environmental grounds etc is a different question.

There are heaps of these graphs around. Working out what data is used is more difficult. But they all point to the same thing... as the cost manufacture, installation and maintenance of renewable stations are dropping, coal is very quickly becoming unattractive financially

Renewables (both with and without storage) vs existing coal, existing coal is cheaper
Renewables vs new coal, renewables are probably cheaper.
Renewables with storage vs new coal, new coal is probably cheaper.

The cost of existing renewables and storage continue to fall so that will likely change as time goes by. So yes building new coal-fired power is becoming less financially viable, keeping existing coal-fired power plants online though is still the cheapest form of non-intermittent supply by a fair bit.

Yes and no. They have a large amount of data now to use for predictions. But future aside, we are pretty much at that crossover point now. Storage is also dropping really fast and the battery tech is also getting much better. Give it 5 or so years and battery storage will be quite affordable even for householders. I'm an electronics engineer (Electrical/Electronics, majoring in Electronics) and in my field I have seen many times really expensive tech plummet in price very quickly once it becomes established.

You only have to look at one of your linked articles to see that they got the predicted increase in electricity demand very wrong, even though it would have been based on a large amount of data. I am not saying it definitely will be wrong, just that the further out they are predicting the greater the uncertainty.

No doubt that it will continue to fall, especially due to government incentives for renewables and regulatory impositions for coal.
I think the underlying question is predominantly a "values" one, Advocates of renewables say we need to do our bit to reduce the environmental impact of climate change or the cost will be borne by future generations, detractors say it's virtue signaling that hurts those who can least afford it and that any changes that we make here in Australia will have negligible difference in the global context.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
It's not just the Batteries that'll be a problem when they collapse later in their service life.
Have a look at the components in Solar panels, and how they do humans a World of good.
Just Like Uranium and Power plants.  How do you neutralize Uranium at the end of its useful life.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »
It's not just the Batteries that'll be a problem when they collapse later in their service life.
Have a look at the components in Solar panels, and how they do humans a World of good.
Just Like Uranium and Power plants.  How do you neutralize Uranium at the end of its useful life.
8) 8) 8) Parrrrrrrrrrrrty!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »
8) 8) 8) Parrrrrrrrrrrrty!

That's how you spread it, and I'm sure there'll be someone who thinks it's a great idea.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
That's how you spread it, and I'm sure there'll be someone who thinks it's a great idea.
launch it into space.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
I think it might be an idea for a rocket load to collide with the sun.
But that Uranium isn't light.  So getting it into a path that does it would be horrendously expensive.
But you never know what it could cause, if you did.

I still think that if you can't get rid of it safely, you shouldn't have used it in the first place.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #308 on: July 04, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »
I got an email from my electricity supplier a little while ago saying my power bills are going down from this month, and apparently I’m not alone.

This news had me scratching my head for a while, apparently because of those evil renewables getting around destroying economies all around the world price reductions are physically impossible.

But I think I’m finally working out how this power stuff works....

When prices go up it’s the evil renewables fault.
When prices go down it’s because of good government policies.

Got it. ;)

Now I’ve just got to work out how after you sign a binding global agreement it somehow becomes and aspirational target when you’re no longer PM....

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »
....how much will the price drop, and for how long?

It was always an aspirational target, but it somehow morphed.

How much would global warming drop if AUS were to reduce its emissions to zero?
Still waiting for a number on that one.....anyone?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:14:46 AM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2018, 06:29:06 AM »
How much would global warming drop if AUS were to reduce its emissions to zero?

All it takes is one big bushfire and that target is out the window.

On another note, received the first gas bill since the new central heater was installed. We've been able to drop the temp to 20 from 22, missus likes it warm, and we've left it on all winter, as per the installers suggestion. Bill has dropped 20% which I was happy with.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:30:45 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #311 on: July 05, 2018, 06:43:31 AM »

All it takes is one big bushfire and that target is out the window.

On another note, received the first gas bill since the new central heater was installed. We've been able to drop the temp to 20 from 22, missus likes it warm, and we've left it on all winter, as per the installers suggestion. Bill has dropped 20% which I was happy with.

But if a few of you Mexicans moved north where you don't need heaters, how much would you save yourself and the environment  !!!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #312 on: July 05, 2018, 07:11:41 AM »
This news had me scratching my head for a while, apparently because of those evil renewables getting around destroying economies all around the world price reductions are physically impossible.

When prices go up it’s the evil renewables fault.

where in this conversation does anyone say that the renewables themselves are 'evil'?

anyone with half a brain would agree that renewables, as an idea and as a solution, are great, in a vacuum...

it's the other stuff hanging off renewables (subsidies, government interference, sanctimonious attitudes, etc) that people hate...

do i hate renewables? of course not.  i hate the other rubbish that comes along with it.

i, and probably everyone else, couldn't give a rats where my power comes from, as long as it is cheap, plentiful and reliable, which, currently, fossil fuels provide all three. 

renewables, at this point, are none of those things.  that's not to say they won't get there, but until they do, fossil fuels are a reality.

the stance taken by extremists, saying that we must turn off coal NOW, is dangerous and misguided.  we can get to where they want us to go, it will just take time.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:25:45 AM by paceman »

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #313 on: July 05, 2018, 07:40:13 AM »
....how much will the price drop, and for how long?

4% this month.
Bit like asking when fuel prices will start dropping or when your housing values in Melbourne and Sydney will stop dropping... ;)

where in this conversation does anyone say that the renewables themselves are 'evil'?
Nope their clearly evil.
They’ve been causing mass starvation, shutting down whole states, bankrupting countries all over the world and stealing first born children from what I’ve been reading..... ;D

* Sarcasm gets lost around here.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #314 on: July 12, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »
this makes for very interesting reading...

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-releases-blueprint-to-reduce-electricity-prices

a couple of interesting bits from the executive summary (emphasis mine):

Most state governments put in place excessively generous solar feed-in tariff schemes with a view to
encouraging consumers to install solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. Under these schemes, the subsidy
paid to consumers for the energy produced by their systems outweighed, by many multiples, the value
of that energy
. Take up of the schemes exceeded all expectations, in part due to dramatic declines
in solar PV installation costs. The substantial cost of the schemes continues to be spread across all
electricity users

Policies associated with the objective of reducing carbon emissions have been problematic. Australia
has committed, through international treaties, to reduce its carbon emissions. The electricity sector
has, understandably, been a key focus for these efforts given the historically carbon-intensive nature of
electricity generation. However, various policy failures here have hurt consumers.
As the Finkel review identified, there has been a failure to facilitate an orderly transition from
carbon-intensive generation technologies to cleaner ones
. This is highlighted by the relatively sudden
decisions by the owners of the Northern and Hazelwood power stations to close those plants. The short
notice of closure of these plants did not enable the market to respond to expected shortfalls in capacity
with adequate and timely investment.

executive summary link below:

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Retail%20Electricity%20Pricing%20Inquiry%E2%80%94Final%20Report%20June%202018_Exec%20summary.pdf

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #315 on: August 09, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »
“Profit at AGL, Australia's largest electricity generator, have surged by 194% to $1.59 billion as power bills to consumers keep rising.

Underlying profit after tax was up 28% to $1.023 billion, in the upper half of AGL’s guidance range, reflecting strong earnings growth in Wholesale Markets.

CEO Andy Vesey says the result reflects the benefits of multibillion-dollar investments in electricity generation, meaning strong returns from higher wholesale electricity prices. “This increase in prices in the broader electricity market has mostly been a result of the abrupt closure of non-AGL power stations such as Hazelwood in 2017 and Northern in 2016 and higher input costs for coal and gas," he says.
“In this environment, we recognise that many Australian households are facing cost-of-living pressures because of the higher energy bills that have resulted from higher market prices.”

Yes you did read that right.
A power company’s profits are up 194%.

Poor guys, if only they’d raised their prices to consumers a touch more they could have cracked 200%. The CEO must be devastated with missing out on that bit of his bonus....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #316 on: August 09, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
Poor guys, if only they’d raised their prices to consumers a touch more they could have cracked 200%. The CEO must be devastated with missing out on that bit of his bonus....
someones going to lose their job over this obvious oversight
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #317 on: August 09, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
I've been saying for a long time, Bugger the Royal Commission into the banks. It should be into the banks, petrol, insurance, power, telecommunications, the big business accounting firms, and scare the s**t out of the rest of them Royal Commission.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »
When did batteries become a green option?
Consider the raw materials, manufacture, and disposal.
They will be the next environmental disaster....

And we have a winner...……….  ;D ;D ;D

You would need to own your Prius for 800 years before it even came close to being carbon neutral compared to a hilux.

Don't believe me?
Yes I did the maths for a thesis I worked on.... :'( :'( :'(
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »

You would need to own your Prius for 800 years before it even came close to being carbon neutral compared to a hilux.

Don't believe me?

I spoke with someone a few years ago at a conference on sustainability, and we were talking about vehicles; I raised that my old 4Runner whilst not great on headline fuel economy, it was at about 270,000km at the time, was averaging about 11/100km... the guy I was talking to had a Honda Civic hybrid that was dropping battery power at a much younger age as the battery pack was dying off - the result was his fuel economy was heading rapidly towards mine...

People wonder why I run my 26 year old 4Runner (petrol), 40 year old Land Cruiser (diesel) and 27 year old Yamaha XT600.... Yep, they're all well and truly on their way to being lower impact than a pious Prius... Great piece from CAR in the UK about this as well...

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »

Don't believe me?

You telling me Mr Tesla is all smoke and mirrors?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2018, 10:44:29 PM »

You telling me Mr Tesla is all smoke and mirrors?

Cheers Glen

They all focus on where the recharging electricity comes from, not where this rotting pile of sophistication is going to end up.
Of course Tesla is smoke and mirrors, So is Bill Gates and heap of others, including that Twitter junkie in the white house.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »
Nearly $1.6 billion profit. We really are mugs.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
Nearly $1.6 billion profit. We really are mugs.
what real choice is there?? Remember - the politicians told us privatization will save us money. They wouldnt lie would they?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2018, 09:49:46 PM »
what real choice is there?? Remember - the politicians told us privatization will save us money. They wouldnt lie would they?
Every one knows how to tell if a politician is lying don't they?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,