Author Topic: Power and gas is to expensive.  (Read 202986 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Power and gas is to expensive.
« Reply #400 on: September 06, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
Quote from: BC66
The gov keeps changing the rules and what is compliant and what’s not.
and this is the problem (one of many that a Gov with no clue on what they are doing is incharge of)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #401 on: September 06, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
I think that there are some other problems:
-Low income households are more likely to be renters, and therefore are less able to undertake energy use reduction through insulation, upgrades, and actually general maintenance (I know someone in a rental who is struggling to get a new hot water element for the HWS as it's all coated in scale and therefore is chewing power to generate hot water - whereas if that was your own place, you'd sort it out.)
-Low income houses can't install solar as they don't own the place
-People are generally rubbish at cutting costs - we are at the point now with our consumption that we pay more for the supply charge than we do for the energy use... and according to our bill are using less per day than a single person household (there's 2 of us and we run on tank water)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #402 on: September 06, 2018, 11:25:13 AM »
In my fantasy world.... they should be making it cheaper/more affordable for people on low incomes so they stand a chance against those with unlimited disposable at the end of each week.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BC66

• Tent User
Power and gas is to expensive.
« Reply #403 on: September 06, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
Unfortunately those that can afford solar or even own a home get the benefit of solar while the rest pay more for electricity because of the people with solar.
With 4 adult kids at home our quarterly bill is always up around $1000.00
We rent so no solar for us and the house is going up for sale in 6 months so maybe that can be on our list when we move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #404 on: September 06, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Good morning
I was just discussing your situation with our Solar Technical advisor at work and he says that depending on where you live and the age of your system you will lose your current tarrif as they changed the regulations regarding this and you may even have to upgrade your entire system because your inverter may not be on the current CEC list.
The gov keeps changing the rules and what is compliant and what’s not. We
Have pallets of brand new inverters that now cannot be sold as new because they were taken off the CEC list.
We can sell them as direct replacement of old or faulty units or sell them outside of Australia, just not here

something that look into  :cheers: hopefully the inverter is fine, it’s an SMA brand and running Bosch panels, we didn’t go the cheapie deals at the install time. Worst case scenario it stays as is, we are on a decent tariff now for a long while yet, so won’t be chucking my it away to to add another KW to the set up
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #405 on: September 06, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
One of our guys upgraded his system and didn’t tell the electricity company. They soon worked it out because  he was exporting more power  and he was out on another plan after that

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #406 on: September 06, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
Unfortunately those that can afford solar or even own a home get the benefit of solar while the rest pay more for electricity because of the people with solar.
With 4 adult kids at home our quarterly bill is always up around $1000.00
We rent so no solar for us and the house is going up for sale in 6 months so maybe that can be on our list when we move

1/4 of Australian households now have power. Huge amount of business,s also are using solar (have a look at the Bunnings stores).  Dont blame the people with solar panels as the cause root of high electricity prices.  Lots of shiny new cars sold every year whilst poorer families make do with second hand jobs.  The governments inability to take a planned approach to power in Australia is the root cause for high prices.  Its easier to give our gas away than use it domestically.  Its nice when you can spend and waste other peoples money with no accountability.  Many people with solar installations have borrowed money to install their system .  I personally think that every new home should be mandated to include a solar system.   There is a lot of talk about the downside of negative gearing on the economy.  Why not make it compulsory for house owners to install a system . They get a subsidy and a tax break as well as adding value to their asset.  Would help a lot of struggling renters/families.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #407 on: September 06, 2018, 12:31:00 PM »
Where I work we sell solar systems and I have a direct connection with the power companies as part of my role here as I’m a contracted supplier for their sub stations so I have a little bit of an idea of the big picture and not the propaganda the public is told.
Basically you can’t keep a fully stocked farm running at the same price for a litre of milk when most of your customers now own their own cow
This is the problem and it’s almost if not as bad as NBN

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #408 on: September 06, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
Where I work we sell solar systems and I have a direct connection with the power companies as part of my role here as I’m a contracted supplier for their sub stations so I have a little bit of an idea of the big picture and not the propaganda the public is told.
Basically you can’t keep a fully stocked farm running at the same price for a litre of milk when most of your customers now own their own cow

The issue I have as an end user of the 'milk', is that it was so expensive, it made much more economic sense to purchase my own cow. If I can ever become completely self sufficient I will be even happier.

Offline wada4wd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #409 on: September 06, 2018, 01:05:58 PM »

Incorrect. The people who have added solar to their houses are not destroying the power companies. Coal companies are running late because of the way the governments have been ignorant moving forward while the coal system is slowly dying.

From Reply #354:

The major production of power is still running on the aged coal system.

Adding your own solar power is improvement of the power in your own system because the governments have failed to move forward for a decade or more. Not destroying the major companies, but supporting them while we all wait for the governments to move forward.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #410 on: September 06, 2018, 01:23:40 PM »
The issue I have as an end user of the 'milk', is that it was so expensive, it made much more economic sense to purchase my own cow. If I can ever become completely self sufficient I will be even happier.

Hey I agree and if I could have my own cow I would ! Andddddd I would be completely off grid
It’s all the Supermarkets fault. 🤣

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #411 on: September 06, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
Incorrect. The people who have added solar to their houses are not destroying the power companies. Coal companies are running late because of the way the governments have been ignorant moving forward while the coal system is slowly dying.

From Reply #354:

The major production of power is still running on the aged coal system.

Adding your own solar power is improvement of the power in your own system because the governments have failed to move forward for a decade or more. Not destroying the major companies, but supporting them while we all wait for the governments to move forward.
I never said that solar was destroying power companies so using my quote with that is putting words in my mouth.
I think it’s AGL that has a Coal power Power station that they want to close or sell because the demand is not there to keep it open. The Government has urged them to keep it open and not sell it.
If your in Vic, take advantage of your state governments new incentives to get solar while it lasts before they remove the STC rebate.
Hopefully one day all the power stations and governments get their act together and the price of these consumables become affordable

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
Where I work we sell solar systems
so... do tell :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
so... do tell :)

We are wholesalers , are you an installer or have a solar business ?

Offline wada4wd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »
I never said that solar was destroying power companies so using my quote with that is putting words in my mouth.
I think it’s AGL that has a Coal power Power station that they want to close or sell because the demand is not there to keep it open. The Government has urged them to keep it open and not sell it.
If your in Vic, take advantage of your state governments new incentives to get solar while it lasts before they remove the STC rebate.
Hopefully one day all the power stations and governments get their act together and the price of these consumables become affordable

Hi.

What you said was:

Maybe you meant to say something else, but I read it and you seem to think that people with solar panels on their house is 'can’t keep a fully stocked farm running at the same price'

Just explain what you mean rather than talking about milk bottles.

Offline wada4wd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »

The plant is Liddell. It is 50 years old and is dying. AGL has decided to close it down rather than waste money trying to repair an old dying coal station.

It's not about power demand, it's about waste of maintaining an old power station.

https://www.afr.com/business/energy/electricity/the-fight-about-agls-liddell-power-station-explained-20180409-h0yju5

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »
Hi.

What you said was:

Maybe you meant to say something else, but I read it and you seem to think that people with solar panels on their house is 'can’t keep a fully stocked farm running at the same price'

Just explain what you mean rather than talking about milk bottles.
Farms = power stations
Huge costs to run and maintain power stations
Demand is going down because more people are going to alternative power
Those who still need power from power stations will pay more as profits have gone down through less sales of power yet costs.

And at a webinar that I watched recently from the Clean Energy Council. It was stated that the Federal Gov has urged that they keep Liddell open

All I’m trying to do is help explain why electricity costs are rising when I too thought that with all the solar around that maybe my electricity costs would go down.
But turns out that was a dream

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
We are wholesalers , are you an installer or have a solar business ?
No but if I installed 1x 120w panel on my trailer :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »
No but if I installed 1x 120w panel on my trailer :D
Sorry we don’t have panels that small, we have house panels and the smallest is 275 watt and 30 volts which is what’s used on houses

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
Sorry we don’t have panels that small, we have house panels and the smallest is 275 watt and 30 volts which is what’s used on houses
thats what I'd love to setup on the house!!

I meant my installer experience was on a trailer :P
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »
thats what I'd love to setup on the house!!

I meant my installer experience was on a trailer :P
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Offline wada4wd

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
https://www.aemo.com.au/-/media/Files/Electricity/NEM/Planning_and_Forecasting/EFI/2017-Electricity-Forecasting-Insights.pdf

Businesses use about at least double of the households electricity consumption.

Walk around the city and see how much is wasted. If they had the same kw cost as the households they would reduce the waste of power consumption. Customers have to pay for the services including the cost of power.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2018, 08:30:36 PM »
The plant is Liddell. It is 50 years old and is dying. AGL has decided to close it down rather than waste money trying to repair an old dying coal station.

It's not about power demand, it's about waste of maintaining an old power station.

https://www.afr.com/business/energy/electricity/the-fight-about-agls-liddell-power-station-explained-20180409-h0yju5

It may be old, but still has an estimated 10yrs left. AGL has been offered MONEY to buy it, but so far has declined.
If it closes it before it's lifespan, it gets nothing, so I'd say there certainly is an agenda to close it early. And it will certainly not be one to benifit the consumer...
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
It may be old, but still has an estimated 10yrs left. AGL has been offered MONEY to buy it, but so far has declined.
If it closes it before it's lifespan, it gets nothing, so I'd say there certainly is an agenda to close it early. And it will certainly not be one to benifit the consumer...

AGL wouldn't want it to run.
Once less station means more demand which means higher prices which then equates to more profit.

Supply and demand. AGL run a business and do not care about anything but money.
Google Dalton power plant or the plant up in the hunter to see the lies and bribes and manipulation they get away with.
The fines they pay for it are a pittance to them so they keep going.

Money money money. Nothing else.

Snowy hydro does work, will work and can be done again elsewhere. Now why don't these pollies have any of that old school foresight?
Oh that's right, buying votes to line pockets. Money money money, here we go again.

Yep, I'm cynical, I hate the buggers. There are feasible solutions but no one is willing to do it.

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »
AGL and Liddel is why privatisation of power stations and distribution networks is bad.

At the end of the day, regardless of what we want to think or feel, a private company is not there to be our friend, they are there for money. We can't expect them to stay open, nor be suprised at them closing, if they feel that they can't make a sufficient profit from it.