Author Topic: A View on Australian Towing Laws  (Read 10535 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: A View on Australian Towing Laws
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
Quote from: Redback
I have seen a lot of caravanners on the road that should not be on the road at all towing great big blocks of flats and have

The total wrong car for the job. I've seen Xtrails towing things that would look wrong behind an F650...
then there was maces' mate with his Spree 5th wheeler behind a colorado that should have been behind a Dodge Ram! pic's have gone, but the words say it all
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=26576.0
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
  most people can't tow or reverse a flamin box trailer.

Baz.

Was at a transfer station [tip] at a very country venue last weekend, I had a 10 x 5 tandem, 3' cage, loaded to the hilt.
When I got there this bloke had a few branches and bags on a 6x4 box, trying to back it in, wife outside trying to guide him in.

I backed in while my wife unloaded by herself [no physical stuff allowed for me atm]

Then took off past him, they had given up and were carrying stuff to the big bins. Left parked in the middle of the yard, cars and trailers banked up.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 07:16:04 PM »
Was at a transfer station [tip] at a very country venue last weekend, I had a 10 x 5 tandem, 3' cage, loaded to the hilt.
When I got there this bloke had a few branches and bags on a 6x4 box, trying to back it in, wife outside trying to guide him in.

I backed in while my wife unloaded by herself [no physical stuff allowed for me atm]

Then took off past him, they had given up and were carrying stuff to the big bins. Left parked in the middle of the yard, cars and trailers banked up.
I’ve been towing boats, campers and box trailers for well over 10 years but still can’t reverse for crap. My father in law is an ex-truckie and can back anything anywhere.  But when he is driving on the highway in his ute he drives so close to the car, truck, whatever in front, I pray to a god i don’t believe in that it isn’t the last thing I see! How he is still alive is pure luck but dare say something and you get a mouth full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »
Hi Fizzie, I had been towing my 8m boat on a triaxle trailer from home to Tin Can Bay about 1,5 hour run at 50kph behind my 3,2lt diesel Narvara dualcab for around 6 to  7 years no worries, got pulled up,  put the boat and trailer on the scales she went 4,1ton,  tug tow limit 1,8ton,  I wonder why they were nice to me, Them days rules never bothered me, I was a farmer towed heaver loads around the farm every day, After that enlightenment to the real world I only run legal now, Hence the small van and 5m tinny, Craig 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:31:37 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
I’ve been towing boats, campers and box trailers for well over 10 years but still can’t reverse for crap. My father in law is an ex-truckie and can back anything anywhere.  But when he is driving on the highway in his ute he drives so close to the car, truck, whatever in front, I pray to a god i don’t believe in that it isn’t the last thing I see! How he is still alive is pure luck but dare say something and you get a mouth full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it is the smaller trailers i find that actually get you. My Goldstream was far easier to reverse than when the boat is in the water and i am trying to back the trailer down the ramp empty. I think it is because the boat trailer is so narrow you cannot see it until it is out the side then you have already stuffed it.
Goldstream = this guy must be a truckie
Boat = How many has he had and should be be driving
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
My father in law is an ex-truckie and can back anything anywhere.  But when he is driving on the highway in his ute he drives so close to the car, truck, whatever in front, I pray to a god i don’t believe in that it isn’t the last thing I see! How he is still alive is pure luck but dare say something and you get a mouth full.

I didn't know you married my sister.........  >:D
Dad can tell you how many spots there are on the cow in the second paddock off the road, but can't see a car ahead slowing with it's indicator on to turn off into a driveway......

I learnt to reverse by having to weave an 8m long surf boat into the packed gear shed with a 1950s tractor 3 times a week for about 6 years.
Then refined the art when I built my little camping trailer, at under 2m from hitch to axle it could be described as 'twitchy' to reverse......  ;D

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
One of the best reversing efforts I have seen.
Years ago I used to run school music tours. We chartered a 46 seater coach and put an 8x6 trailer on the back for the music gear.
The driver used to reverse park the coach and trailer when we were in some of the tight spots in caravan parks or on the Gold Coast.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »
Us old hands who had no ATMS GCMs or whatever get a free pass whereas all you whippersnapper worryworts nanny staters and snowflakes need to pass the new test  :police:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_AxxHFRU0
Sledgehammer to crack a walnut. It's not caravanners I see speeding tailgating and overtaking stupidly or filling our nightly news with road crashes.

PS: Saw a report where they reckon there's around 150,000 caravans on OZ roads at any one time so you work it out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:47:22 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »

PS: Saw a report where they reckon there's around 150,000 caravans on OZ roads at any one time so you work it out.

I reckon there was 150,000 caravans parked up last night at the Gin Gin free camp.

And the Calliope River Rest area was Max’d out as there was a good 1/2 dozen or so vans parked up at the turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 03:13:23 PM »
I believe that the reason no one wants to have to sit a test to be allowed to tow is because they think they will fail, because to pass your articulated licence you must be able to reverse the combination prime mover and trailer, can't reverse, you fail, lessons aren't cheap either.

When I did my test I had to reverse around two corners and also around parked cars in the street where the test was and I also had to keep the trailer within a certain distance from the kerb, no more than one metre out from the kerb and not less than 30cm from the kerb, both while going around the corner and along the street.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 03:33:44 PM »
I believe that the reason no one wants to have to sit a test to be allowed to tow is because they think they will fail, because to pass your articulated licence you must be able to reverse the combination prime mover and trailer, can't reverse, you fail, lessons aren't cheap either.

When I did my test I had to reverse around two corners and also around parked cars in the street where the test was and I also had to keep the trailer within a certain distance from the kerb, no more than one metre out from the kerb and not less than 30cm from the kerb, both while going around the corner and along the street.
same, but I did mine around 5 Dock in a 1418 Benz LOL!
Would have been easier back round Miranda with wider streets :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 05:11:48 AM »

I reckon you are right. A lot of discussion on different forums in regards to a caravan towing licence and interestingly enough there are always a number that talk about being able to reverse the van etc which then turns into rants about how bad everyone else is. I laugh at these though because I wonder how many caravan accidents are caused by reversing (or not being able to) into a park spot  ??? 

Most of the aggravation would be solved if people were being more courteous and just take a chill pill. I drive my van at 100km whee I can but on hills or on sharper corners this isn't always possible and the other week while towing at 100 I had a guy in a big cruiser with a big offroad van overtake me and disappear into the distance. I saw him later in the day setting up the park we were staying at when we arrived so he probably saved himself 15mins.

No licence or training course is going to fix attitude or behaviour on the road unfortunately 

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 06:23:14 AM »
Just thinking, if there was a test I’d be more likely to pass the towing part and fail the operation of the tug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:41 PM »
Quote from: Rodt
because I wonder how many caravan accidents are caused by reversing (or not being able to) into a park spot  ??? 
There are threads on many forums now about caravan parks that wont let you - they park the trailer up for you! Thats trust in old farks reversing for ya
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
There are threads on many forums now about caravan parks that wont let you - they park the trailer up for you! Thats trust in old farks reversing for ya

I'd leave....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »
the Big 4 at Hastings Point has a tractor that parks your camper or caravan for you...I choose to back the camper in myself years back when we stayed there, was a very tight turn to get it into our site though, almost wished i’d left it to the tractor...and that’s coming from somebody that backed trailers daily onto jobsites at work.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:46:42 AM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »
We were once parked up in a van park when we watch a couple pull up with the van and proceed to get out and let the park operator hope in and take control, and proceed to reverse the van onto site.

I got talking to van owner later where he told me how he has driven trucks all his life and was a current owner driver of a semi trailer. It prompted me to ask why he let the park operator park the van.

His reply was gold,  which went along the lines of, “ why the heck would I try and park it onsite with the wife barking orders at me and the resulting argument. It is easier to let someone else do it for you and you can relax with the first beer in hand and watch”

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »

Easier to pass the reversing component of the B double test. Just have to keep it straight for about 30m. That was about 10 years ago, with a highly reputable company, not a fly by night crowd licencing new Australians.

So now I have my BD ticket I must be at the pinnacle of trailer towing skill level :D. Definitely not.!!
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »
We were once parked up in a van park when we watch a couple pull up with the van and proceed to get out and let the park operator hope in and take control, and proceed to reverse the van onto site.

I got talking to van owner later where he told me how he has driven trucks all his life and was a current owner driver of a semi trailer. It prompted me to ask why he let the park operator park the van.

His reply was gold,  which went along the lines of, “ why the heck would I try and park it onsite with the wife barking orders at me and the resulting argument. It is easier to let someone else do it for you and you can relax with the first beer in hand and watch”
i get my 16 year old daughter to help if needed as my extra set of eyes over the misses, atleast the daughter has a clue...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2019, 08:26:08 AM »
I see the occasional "wife" assisted backing of a van at some campsites.....I love watching them......but I've told my wife if she ever gets out of the car and tries the same, I'll drive off and leave her !!    ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
Bloke I know upgraded his work ute/tug. This has a reversing camera. He found it useful so installed a rear camera on his wobbly box as well. His good wife was always trying to be his "Eyes and Advisor", without much success. He has not told her about the cameras so she still runs around, flapping her arms while he hitches up or parks the van up.
He does make a point of thanking her and saying how easy she makes it. ;D
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »
Seen a few people get into trouble with vans on the forecourt of the servo I had for over 20 years. But main point I can see for a, in my opinion, truck license to tow any thing is to learn about weights and securing loads. My two bobs worth
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »
I would still like to have an automotive engineer or similar explain to me the vehicle physics that limit the tow ball weight on my '93 1HZ Diesel Tojo 'tilly to 110 kg!
That's less than a Rav4 which is 140kg. 
Toyota Australia were no help.
Qld government transport engineers were very sympathetic (and very surprised at the fact) but have no authority to change the weight.
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2019, 04:00:45 PM »
No a definitive answer but maybe distance from rear axle to ball is much shorter on RAV4 and leverage effect.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
The exact same vehicle with the '96 release was 250kg!!!
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top