Author Topic: Keeping things 'charged'  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Keeping things 'charged'
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:45:07 AM »
So what do people do to keep things with internal or rechargeable batteries in good nick while not in use..

Things like GPS', or otehr things that charge by USB that you may only use few times a year..?

Do you leave em on charge until next time somewhere, or just worry bout it when your ready to use it next...? 

I believe that leaving it 'flat' for long periods is bad for items..

So what do you do?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Keeping things 'charged'
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
So what do people do to keep things with internal or rechargeable batteries in good nick while not in use..

Things like GPS', or otehr things that charge by USB that you may only use few times a year..?

Do you leave em on charge until next time somewhere, or just worry bout it when your ready to use it next...? 

I believe that leaving it 'flat' for long periods is bad for items..

So what do you do?

Whats best probably depends on what type of battery the device is using. Lithium is probably the most common, and for that there is no advantage to leaving it on charge that I know of, other things like my old Coleman HWOD had a lead-acid battery so it was different, also depends on how long the device is idle as well.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »
Things like our Camera / Navman and my phone [ aprox 5 yro ], The phone gets a run about two or three times a year [ generaly keeps the house fridge company ]  and the Navman [ aprox 4 yro ] probably half a dozen times a year, the camera usualy about the same ..
Batteries usualy are dead flat and come up, seem to hold pretty well for a few days / weeks depending on use, though the camera batteries are not holding charge as long as they used too, but thats down to being over 10 year old .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:42:53 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:53:41 AM »
I have boat GPSs so just plug them in every now and then so there internal battery charges up, AGM batteries put them on the charger every few weeks, Makita 18volt tools have 3 batteries just test them every now and then and then charge, Camera just charge up before a trip, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Online Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
I set a reminder on my calendar when things need recharginging, camp fan, gps, camera batteries etc
Works well, set most for every three months.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 01:03:15 PM »
I have some Ryobi 18v tools and batteries so always have one of these in the car.
with 5ah battery can keep a few phones etc charged for a week for so.