Author Topic: 2017 Kia Cerato............Anyone have one?????? Now a new Mazda 3 SP25.  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
As the title suggest, I'm chasing feedback from anybody who has currently or had a current model Kia Cerato. We are looking at grabbing a brand spanker in the Hatch Sport as a round town car. Just drove the base model and liked it but we are looking at a higher spec model to get the tech and wheel package we like.
Cheers, Mike.

p.s.  Just bought a new Mazda 3 SP25 Manual. Nice car and got it for a price I couldn't pass up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:29:23 PM by Coolblue80 »
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: 2017 Kia Cerato............Anyone have one??????
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
My wifes  (sedan) is just on 12 months old & she loves it. It is the DSG model & top of the line with all the bells & whistles. I've only driven it two or three times & didn't have any issues except for the fact that I feel my arse is going to hit anything on the road more than 50mm high. It is the first non 4x4 (Toyotas & Landies) we have owned since the '80's, from memory & I really don't enjoy sitting so low that I look up at Camry occupants.
I'm 185 tall & find the rear legroom pretty good. Broncos11 bought one for the same reason, I'm pretty sure, as his mob are all tall.
So far, so good for us & the warranty was hard to knock back.
Steve

'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Deseng

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »
We looked into a 2017 Cerato for our daughter (half and half with a repay scheme ;D).  The base model with the AV package.
We looked at the Hyundai i30, the Toyota Corolla and all the others but still kept coming back to the Cerato Hatch. It was just better in every way - not the least being the price and the 7 year warranty. Actually the build quality appeared to be better than the Toyota!
We did a test drive over a fairly rough road and I was incredibly surprised how well it handled it and with very little cabin noise - it was quieter and more composed than my work Mondeo over the particular stretch of road.
We read all the various car reviews and they were and have continued to be positive about this model.
In the end we couldn't say no and purchased one.
In short, from our experience over the past 8 months it has been a fantastic car and an excellent purchase. 
Our daughter absolutely loves it. It does everything, including being very fuel efficient for a student who only works part time to run around in and use regularly.  She even takes it out and camps in the back when visiting friends, etc.
Latest reviews appear to be positive.
The suspension is purportedly tuned to Australian conditions - from our experience on relatively rough roads this appears to be a genuine claim.  It rides and handles exceptionally well over rough country and gravel roads. 
It does feel lower   - compared to a lifted Prado - and you do need to watch bigger bumps.
Watch the larger wheel and higher spec tyre, suspension, etc. packages as most reviews have noted the ride in these models is not as compliant and is harsher than in the standard suspension configuration of the lower models - this appeared to be probably the only negative we noted and one of the reasons we didn't upgrade from the base model.
Overall a 110% recommendation. 

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:34:47 PM »
The inlaws have a 2015 model. They have had no issues, great little car BUT they are looking to sell it. The MIL didn't like the rear vision but thought over time she would get rid of it - didn't happen and she doesn't like reversing it. Also it is really low for them so getting in and out has gotten harder for them too. Maybe a good test drive to confirm these issues don't apply to you.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:25:38 AM »
Bought my daughter an older one (2012) and can't fault it. Nearly considered getting the 2016 model (auto) for her last year and give her manual to daughter No 2 (just turning 16) and teach her to drive in it. Instead of the new model I reckon when it is time (in the next few months) to get daughter 2 into the manual I would be looking to at least buy a 2nd hand Cerato (auto) again for daughter 1. 

The older models are a bit noisy on the road but as someone has said the newer models were a bit better in this regards. The 2.0ltr engine is a real plus for me

Rod

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 09:24:11 AM »
Good feedback guys. Admittedly we did drive the base model but I would rather a higher spec one. None within 200ks of us. Started looking at reviews of Kia's warranty, and some disgruntled customers out there. Probably the same with all makers. We have a 18month old Pajero as well and our last 4 new cars have been Mitsy. @ pajeros and 2 Magnas and have an awesome run out of them. Don't like the local dealer for servicing but stick with them. Since reading about the Kia warranty I'm leaning toward a Lancer. SIL has one and loves it. We drove an ASX 2L petrol manual and I thought it was a bit underpowered. Wifey thought it was alright and keeps reminding me that it's only a town car. Decisions, decisions.
Come to think of it, My side of the family has Mitsy.
Us- Pajero
Dad- 05 Magna
Mum- 16 ASX T/d
Sister- Pajero
Brother - 14 Triton D/cab
SIL- 15 Lancer.
I see a pattern.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
The wife and I were looking at one as a straight swap for her 2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara Suburban 2wd.

That thing had shares in the local servo.

We use to have a Hyundai Gets. Great little car, so we thought we would look at OME of these. We were hoping for a straight swap. Unfortunately the dollars didn't stretch that far.

We were able to trade with a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage with a matching warranty.

1.2 3 cylinder. 35l fuel tank will last 550km.

Maybe something else to consider?

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 08:04:43 PM »
Started looking at reviews of Kia's warranty, and some disgruntled customers out there. Probably the same with all makers.

In my mind nothing wrong with Mitsi's either but as far as Kia warranty goes I will say that I have nothing but positive comments. I reckon it comes down to your local dealer and how they support you. We bought ours 2nd hand and a couple of little things I wanted resolved there was no issue whatsoever. They are also our local Mitsi dealer so the Pajero gets looked after pretty well too

Rod

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
Change of plans. details in original post.