Author Topic: 2016 Beat Cancer Tour - DAY 3: Rest Day (So Let's Go For A Ride!!)  (Read 14819 times)

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Hi Everyone,

Next January I am challenging myself to ride in the Beat Cancer Tour. I will be riding every day, every stage of the Santos Tour Down Under. It is a gruelling course of approx 900kms and is sure to test me! But the tough, week long ride is nothing compared to a cancer diagnosis.

My mission is to help beat cancer by raising funds for Cancer Council in the lead up to this exciting event! My aim is to raise a total of $25,000, so if I can get each and every member of MySwag to donate a small $10 I will be well on my way.

Please note that all donations over $2 are tax deductible and all go to the Beat Cancer Project: http://www.cancersa.org.au/research/beat-cancer-projects/2013

Also, if you want to follow my cycling adventures while training for the Beat Cancer Tour, I am writing a blog that you can check out at: www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

You can make a donation either through the Donate Here section on my blog or directly at this link: https://secure.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?registrationID=880491&langPref=en-CA#&panel1-2

Thanks,

John (JCOJ)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:25:53 PM by JCOJ »

Offline scottatsea

• Swag User
Re: 2016 Beat Cancer Tour - Can You Please Spare A Small $10 Donation?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
Well done John,good luck

Scott
100 series cruiser t/d
2014 jayco dove outback

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
Good luck mate
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
I tip my hat to you mate.. 900klms ... that doesn't compute ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »
Good luck John, and well done for supporting such a great cause.
 :cheers:
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »
A BIG THANKYOU to those of you who have donated to my fundraising effort so far - I have just gone over the $1000 mark!!

I am still aiming for the $25,000 goal, so if you can spare a small fully tax deductible $10 donation it would be very much appreciated!!

A reminder that if you want to follow my cycling adventures while training for the Beat Cancer Tour, I am writing a blog that you can check out at: www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

You can make a donation either through the 'Donate Here' section on my blog or directly at this link: https://secure.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?registrationID=880491&langPref=en-CA#&panel1-2

Thankyou,

John.   

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
HAPPY to say that I have cracked the $2,000 fundraising mark!!

(Just $23,000 to go)

I have also done the latest installment on my blog if anyone is actually reading it  :cheers:

You can read my blog and make a donation here: www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

My goal is to get a $10 donation from every MySwag Member - and I would love you all for doing so  :-* 

This would mean that I would reach my fundraising target, you would get a tax deduction on your next tax return, and the world would be closer to finding a cure for Cancer - everybody wins!!

Marschy

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
My donation just tipped you over $2500 John. Well done, keep going.

Cheers, Marschy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:31:30 AM by Marschy »
The following users thanked this post: JCOJ

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
My donation just tipped you over $2500 John. Well done, keep going.
Cheers, Marschy

Thanking you very much!!  It is really appreciated.

I calculated today that I have to raise approx $2,777 per month from the start of this month to the end of the year to achieve my target of $25,000.  It sounds difficult and scary when it is put like that, but every donation contributes for which I am extremely grateful.

This isn't about me though, infact it has got nothing to do with me.

I did a tour of the Cancer Council SA headquarters the other day and was amazed at the amount of truely dedicated people in there and all the different things that they do.  There are the people for the sun smart programs, Quitline for smoking, the ladies on the phones for people to call in and chat, the organisers of other fundraising events, the researchers trying to find a cure for cancer - and all of them wish that they could lose their jobs!!  Then there are the volunteers who come in and help sort stuff that needs to be posted for people, the bus drivers that drive the country people to the hospitals for their treatments that stay at the Cancer Council Accommodation place, the chefs that cook so the country people don't have to after their treatments, and the list could go on.

Then there are you guys - people that donate to a total stranger like me, for getting on a bike and riding 900km in a week in the middle of summer.  In my fundraising efforts I have had many messages of support, plus people telling me I am crazy or nuts, people saying that I'm going to get fried in the sun, I've even had people tell me to piss off when asking for donations, but each time I see that a donation has been made, it warms my heart and makes this whole journey all that more satisfying!  So Thank You!

Marschy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
I'll be back next month.

John, I reckon if you took more photo's of your legs and posted them on this thread you may attract a few more donations from our lady swaggers.

:cup:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:39:23 PM by Marschy »

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
HA HA very funny Marschy - I think that would turn more people off so I don't think you are doing me any favours by posting pictures like that up!!  ;D  :cheers:

Well I have just reached the $4,000 mark in fundraising thanks to some very generous donors.  I still have $21,000 to go to reach the magic target so any and all support would be much appreciated!

To make a donation you can click on John's Fundraising Page on the top right hand side of my blog at www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au 

Remember - all donations are tax deductible and go directly to the Cancer Council.

Marschy

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
HA HA very funny Marschy - I think that would turn more people off so I don't think you are doing me any favours by posting pictures like that up!!  ;D  :cheers:

Well I have just reached the $4,000 mark in fundraising thanks to some very generous donors.  I still have $21,000 to go to reach the magic target so any and all support would be much appreciated!

To make a donation you can click on John's Fundraising Page on the top right hand side of my blog at www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au 

Remember - all donations are tax deductible and go directly to the Cancer Council.

Your right John, I've removed the pictures in case it scares away any potential donors.  ;D

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
John good on you for having a go. Mate let's see if we can at least get you into the Top 10

Good stuff :cup:

Rod

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
John good on you for having a go. Mate let's see if we can at least get you into the Top 10

Good stuff :cup:

Rod

Thankyou for your donation Rod - much appreciated!!

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
Hi John,

Happy to have donated but I am not sure this bike riding isn't some cunning plan to hide that you have a Jeep  ;D ;D ;D

Good luck with the fundraising and the ride.

Cheers

Shane

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
Hi John,

Happy to have donated but I am not sure this bike riding isn't some cunning plan to hide that you have a Jeep  ;D ;D ;D

Good luck with the fundraising and the ride.

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,
Thankyou for your donation!
No Jeep for me - I have had two Jeeps from brand new previously and my bike is much more reliable  ;D

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
Good luck with the training and the ride next year :cup:  Here's hoping you reach your goal.

Cheers
Karen
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 2016 Beat Cancer Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 10:21:01 AM »
I have nearly reached the $5,000 mark for fundraising but need your support to get there!

Also the next installment of my blog will be up on Friday for those that are following it.

You can make a donation directly at this link here: https://secure.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?registrationID=880491&langPref=en-CA#&panel1-2

or

Via my blog at: www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

Thanking You All!!  :cheers:

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
I have reached the $5,000 mark in fundraising ($5,250 to be precise!!) so a Monstrous Thank You to all those that have donated so far!  :cup:

Just another $20,000 ($19,750 to be precise) to go to reach my $25,000 goal of funds raised for Cancer Council.

I have also done the next entry on my blog which you can read here: www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

Thankyou! 

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
Beat Cancer Tour Competition

How would you like to travel in an official Beat Cancer Tour team support car, together with a spot on the finish line in our VIP hospitality tent, plus get behind the scenes access with the Beat Cancer Tour in the Tour Village for the day?!

To enter simply follow these steps:

1.  Like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter or Instagram (@Beat Cancer Tour) www.facebook.com/BeatCancerTour

2.  Make a donation of $100 or more to my fundraising effort at this link here: https://secure.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?registrationID=880491&Referrer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.beatcancertour.com.au%2f#&panel1-1
or
via my blog at: www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

The lucky winner will be drawn 4pm Monday 11 January 2016 (Australian Central Standard Time) will be contacted via telephone and email. Multiple entries are welcomed.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:33:08 PM by JCOJ »

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
Well, you got your $10, entertain me with your blog and you might loosen the purse strings a tad more  ;D

Very impressed, former cyclist (another life) keen Tour watcher and fervent cancer HATER. You go mate, Im watching.... :cup:

C'mon guys, I know there are hands in our pockets all the bloody time, but Johns not asking for much (2 beers) and the effort he's putting in is beyond calculation. I did the Hubert Opperman All Day Trial a while back, 370k's in 24 hours so my respect for what hes doing is immense http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.php/fleche-opperman
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:05:18 PM by Artie01 »

Marschy

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 01:35:15 AM »
Pay day this Friday. Bookmarked again

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »
Hi All,

Just letting you know that I have just tipped over the $7,000 mark - nearly 1/3 of the way to my target!

Just thought I'd share some of my fundraising efforts with you and how I have been going.

1) Firstly I thought I would ask for donations from the good folk in the MySwag Community  :cup:
I tried another forum too but my post lasted all of 5 minutes before it was deleted and I had a PM from Admin saying they don't allow such things!!

2) I sent letters to all the business contacts I have, everyone from who I deal with through work, places I have purchased cars and campers from, hairdresser, physio etc etc

3) Facebook - is good at just getting a consistent message out there and it prompts people who say 'I must get around to giving John a donation'

4) I made up some corflute signs and stood outside the railway station on football game day to catch the supporters on the way to Adelaide Oval.  This was quite successful so we will see if the Power fans are as supportive this weekend.  Last weekend the Crows played St. Kilda and many Saints fans were also very very obliging.  I must say, having the boys there to assist helps as they certainly have the 'pull factor'

5) As some of you may be aware, I am a real estate agent so all those leaflets you get in your letterbox - well I do them too.  However I am also advertising my BCT fundraising effort on the back of them

6) I have written a letter to all my past clients that have bought or sold from me asking for their support too

7) I have even made up a sticker to put on my office window as we are on a corner and many cars pass by everyday

8 ) I have made up a flyer to display at my open inspections with little business card size 'How to Donate' cards which people can take away with them.  I also carry these cards with me when I go out on my bike rides and hand them out to other cyclists that I speac to about the BCT.

So, there is quite a lot that I am trying to do to be able to reach my $25,000 target.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:26:56 PM by JCOJ »

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
It's June 30th - make a donation and get a tax deduction!!  :cheers:

I have just done the latest entry to my blog (Disaster Strikes!!) which you can read here: http://www.jc2016bct.blogspot.com.au

On another note, I am fast approaching the $10,000 mark in fundraising, so would love your contribution to help me overstep that mark.

Thankyou!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:10:07 PM by JCOJ »

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
Great effort John.
Hope you're back on the bike soon.
 :cheers:
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic