Author Topic: 240 OR 12 VOLT ?  (Read 7198 times)

KingBilly

Re: 240 OR 12 VOLT ?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
???

The fridge has a 12V input and a 240V input.

I was referring to my EvaKool which is only 12V DC.  If I want to run it off mains, I need a 240V AC to 12V DC power source.

From memory the swing motor in the Engels have a 12V and a 240V winding, so there is no power supply to drop 240V down to 12V.

Symon, you are more than likely correct.  I will defer to your experience.  The Engel website doesn't offer an explanation (which I could see anyway).  I was basing my assumption on the fact the small Engel I have only runs on 12V DC.  Would be good to know either way purely out of curiosity.

Thanks all for the discussion
KB

KingBilly

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
OK, I had a look on the Sawafuji website and found this:

When an AC current is applied to a coil placed at right angle to the magnetic field, a thrust occurs according to Fleming's left hand rule. This thrust is directly applied to the piston, which then performs the compression and intake cycles.

Does this mean it is an AC motor and if run off 12V DC there is an inverter build into the fridge?

KB

Offline oldtrack123

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
OK, I had a look on the Sawafuji website and found this:

When an AC current is applied to a coil placed at right angle to the magnetic field, a thrust occurs according to Fleming's left hand rule. This thrust is directly applied to the piston, which then performs the compression and intake cycles.

Does this mean it is an AC motor and if run off 12V DC there is an inverter build into the fridge?

KB

Hi

The Engel swing motor basically is a magnetic driven piston
I do not know about the latest models but it was 48V AC  the coil is fed via 240to 48V transformer when on AC
On DC ,a very basic inverter supplies the 48VAC @50 hertz
Peter

KingBilly

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 06:37:19 AM »
Thanks Peter for the explanation.

And apologies to catacean for the complete hijack of his thread.  But I learnt something  :D

Happy camping
KB