Author Topic: 3 months to travel - where would you go?  (Read 7719 times)

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: 3 months to travel - where would you go?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

We are now tossing up whether we go for 3 or 6 months.

3 months would entail us doing the Kimberley in detail and 6 months would allow us to do Cape York as well.  But for 6 months we would have to sell our investment property to fund it, and that was supposed to be for our retirement.  Decisions decisions...

For any of you that have done this - have you ever had regrets about having to sell something to fund your trip?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:47:21 PM by JKohn »

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 06:31:20 AM »

3 months would entail us doing the Kimberley in detail and 6 months would allow us to do Cape York as well.  But for 6 months we would have to sell our investment property to fund it, and that was supposed to be for our retirement.  Decisions decisions...

For any of you that have done this - have you ever had regrets about having to sell something to fund your trip?

DON'T SELL the investment property.
We can now do our 3 months a year because we saved and invested for this time of our life.
We did not have a holiday of more than 3 days for 20 years but are now reaping the rewards.
Enjoy your 3 months now and keep the property.
You will need every penny you can save when you retire and have the time to enjoy it.

Cheers
Parry

Tassie devils

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 06:48:32 AM »

Sell the investment property, to many people save to hard for their retirement and never make it enjoy life now!!! :angel:

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
I have to agree with Parry, keep the investment. We to saved hard for years and now we are on 1 long holiday and love it. It is worth waiting for, just don't leave it to late.
Besides if you took 6 months off you would never feel like going back to work.

Trevor

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
Keep the investment, i would rent it (if thats viable or maybe its just some land?) if it was mine, or keep it until i was fully retired and use it then.

Our plan is now that i am semi retired is we finish up our affairs over the next 5 yrs then we hit the road full time using the rent from the house we own to supplement the income, i will also do some work in my travels. Wont be in any hurry either which way and in mean time start the setting up process and still get in as much travel as we can. I just had my 1st full month off in 30+yrs.

8)

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
We have had more time to think about it and 3 months it is!  We will be concentrating on the Kimberley's via parts of the Red Centre and Kakadu Litchfield that we missed last year.

I'm in real estate and work on commission only so 6 months is a long time for me to get zero income and not be seen around.  And selling my own property doesn't sit well with me - I see too often how much they grow over time!

Also, after doing a budget, going for 6 months will cost us 4 times as much as going for 3 months (doesn't make sense but the numbers don't lie!!)

Anyway we have set a date for our departure - 12 months today - 6th April, 2012 (the day school holidays start in SA after first term).

Thank you all for your input and now the countdown and planning begins.

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 05:48:53 PM »
Good call.
You will have a ball.

Cheers
Parry

Offline LeighC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »
yes good call, although you sound like you've made your mind up I was going to suggest to just pick one of the areas (Nth Qld or Kimberleys).  It's not that hard to put in a few hard days at the start to break the back of the kms and get close to the destination 'area'.  When I had LSL a while back I initially had the same thought to try and tick as many places off but when you look at the total Km's, average them out we found out there wasn't going to be too much time to 'smell the roses'.  3 long days Adelaide to Katherine and then you're cruising after that.

We've done the Kimberley's via the loop of bitumen and then GRR.  I think they've both got some great places to stay.  Get yourself a book 'Free Campsites in North West WA'  It's really hand for the free rest stops.  I think another has been written for NT.

cheers
Leigh
Prado 150 series
Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline db

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
Hopefully we will cross paths in the Kimberly with you - we are working to try and have at least 8 weeks off next year to go up there (haven't told my boss yet  ;D).  I don't have LSL, so have to try and get it in annual leave plus some unpaid I think.  New trailer on the way in a few months with the trip in mind.

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R