Author Topic: Tamworth to Adelaide  (Read 2074 times)

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Tamworth to Adelaide
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »
Need to get from Tamworth to Adelaide and need some advice on the best route. I am fancying going via Gunnedah, Gilgandra down to Nevertire then over to Broken Hill and down to Adelaide. The guy thats coming with me fancies going down thru West Wylong, Hay and over to Adelaide. This is a work trip we are installing two machines in Tamworth and then have to race the semi carrying the other machines to Adelaide getting there at least at least three days before him to pull the Adelaide workshop apart so as not to hold the cranes up. ATM the schedule only allows one day travelling (I didnt make the schedule) so we are going to have to make some serious time up on the installs. Flyings not an option because of the gear i need to take

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: Tamworth to Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:38:40 AM »
The quickest way is via Broken Hill.. if you want to get there 3 days before the semi, you would need to leave 3 days before!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:50:48 AM »
The quickest way is via Broken Hill.. if you want to get there 3 days before the semi, you would need to leave 3 days before!
Thanks, thats what i thought.
Sorry, the semis taking a different route via Wagga and Melbourne to drop off and pick up more machines, by the time i finish the install in Tamworth to the time he hits Adelaide i only have three prep days and one travel day.  I dont like the thought of doing quick miles at night up in that area. Thanks again

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:04:28 AM »
Was talking to someone from Broken Hill last week and they advised me that the roadkill numbers around there are horrendous at the moment so avoiding the night drive as much as you can would obviously be the best

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
Was talking to someone from Broken Hill last week and they advised me that the roadkill numbers around there are horrendous at the moment so avoiding the night drive as much as you can would obviously be the best
Thanks Rod, i am going to try and make some time on the install to avoid having to drive at night and am flying a young bloke in to do the training so he can finish anything i dont have time for. I have done heaps of these for them over the years but this one is the most ambitious they have hit me with. Shouldn't have told them this is my last trip for them, at nearly 66 I am getting to old for all this heavy Shit.Three states, 4500km, 11 machines between 5 and 8.5 tonnes to be relocated to different workshops, plus all the machines i have to move out of the way and a bit less than three weeks to do it, this is gunna cost them

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Last time we went via BH the goats were out of control between there and Wilcannia
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
Yeah their bad right thru that area, a few years ago i came home that way from Bathurst via Broken Hill, Mildura and down thru the Border Track any they were all the way down into Murray Sunset NP

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
I drove through there a couple of weeks ago, to entertain myself I counted goats between Wlilcania and Broken Hill. I counted at least 140, and I know I missed lots. Plenty between Cobar and Willcania too. I think they were more road wise than the 'roos as very few dead goats compared with the number of skippies.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R