Author Topic: BOS Jockey wheel experience  (Read 15374 times)

Offline Spud7017

• Swag User
BOS Jockey wheel experience
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
Gidday

I've searched the forum for information on the BOS jockey wheel and associated accessories but I cannot locate any comments relating to direct experience particular on dirt travel.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding their ease of use,  durability,  quality,  amount of flexible and maintenance. 

I was initially very interested in the ARK xo but understand their ease of use may suffer once exposed to dirt etc...

Thanks in advance.....
These are a few of my favourite things.....😉
VW Amarok Highline
BRS Offroad Hybrid Van
Elsie the English Staffy
KTM 1190R Adventure

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: BOS Jockey wheel experience
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
Looks interesting... looks expensive.
But im shocked nobody in the last 20 yrs hasn't made a good jockey wheel that wont sink like a rock in soft sand...

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spud7017

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
I agree. One of the attractions to the BOS is they are virtually a closed unit limiting the impact of sand.....
VW Amarok Highline
BRS Offroad Hybrid Van
Elsie the English Staffy
KTM 1190R Adventure

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
I agree. One of the attractions to the BOS is they are virtually a closed unit limiting the impact of sand.....
Im more talking about moving in sand/soft ground... everyone I've seen, as soon as you have to turn when pushing it into place - its game over
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: sjared

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:38:24 AM »
Ok - I will be going for the whole BOS experience in FEB 2016...

Whilst I can't comment firsthand till then - this is what I can say atm...

According to John; (owner LCT);  who has spoken with the company - BOS are selling approx 8,000 units pa atm...

The bos has a patented gearbox system - which either uses an 18vt CLUTCHED drill; or a crank handle...

I recommend anyone interested - give Bronwyn at BOS a call - as she is very helpful... and a wealth of information. ..

A standard set up with a couple of different change options is going to cost you a tad over  $400 inc shipping ...

Regarding the different wheel options - Bronwyn told me that the hard nylon wheel is best suited for hard ground surfaces like concrete etc...  whilst the air tyres operate great in sand and muddy environments. ...

I am intending getting the duel wheel options for both; as well as the (no wheel)plate option...   This is mainly because I have a Purple Line unit - and the existing Alko is starting to get chewed out... and also I want hastle free set up ...  aka get to the beers quicker. ... :)    we more or less 95% free camp in all terrian environments. ...

If you do a search - you will find a post I did with more info; (its on one of the LCT threads)

(ps - I am in no way associated with BOS).. 

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.
The following users thanked this post: Spud7017

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
I like a jockey wheel that is simple to use, and swings up out of the way and is above the bottom of the chassis in case of rough terrain.
The Bos looks fancy with the dual wheels on it, but I'm not a fan on having to get something out of the 4wd just to operate it.
The main problem with any jockey wheel on soft ground is changing direction, and while a fatter wheel would help, it won't solve the problem in all cases. If the van comes off the 4wd, it usually stays where it was unhitched, so I rarely ever need to move it while camping.

Pump up wheels are better in soft stuff , but are prone to going down....or worst still, if you have a flat while camping, you're screwed unless you can fix it.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
I like a jockey wheel that is simple to use, and swings up out of the way and is above the bottom of the chassis in case of rough terrain.
The Bos looks fancy with the dual wheels on it, but I'm not a fan on having to get something out of the 4wd just to operate it.
The main problem with any jockey wheel on soft ground is changing direction, and while a fatter wheel would help, it won't solve the problem in all cases. If the van comes off the 4wd, it usually stays where it was unhitched, so I rarely ever need to move it while camping.
we stayed at a van park in South Aussie, where I had to unhitch and 180 the trailer to use it, or have a view of the ally fence.... took 6 of us to move it, thankfully the people to the left/right of my site had been through it and came over to help.. :(
Just a PITA..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »
Mine arrived on Friday, so far the van hasn't left the lawn yet but will give it a go on the weekend. Bos are great to deal with, it's fair to say Bronwyn has some great knowledge about the topic and is pretty passionate about jockey wheels! Although they aren't the cheapest it appears to be more solid than the bent ark wheel it is replacing. I like how you can add accessories to the standard set up to suit your requirements at the time. They are Aussie made and appear to be pretty solid.

Offline Spud7017

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
Thanks JBH.  Your photo suggests the main tube looks considerably sturdier than the cheap Alko I currently have on my Van.  Be good to hear how you go on the week-end.  Did you buy any of the wheels and if so are you happy with first impressions ?

Cheers
VW Amarok Highline
BRS Offroad Hybrid Van
Elsie the English Staffy
KTM 1190R Adventure

Offline moose2367

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
Or, you could make your own.  Just to clarify, i didn't make this one, it came with a big tandem chassis i just bought, 7m x 2.4 with 35's and came with 40's as spares.

Surprisingly, it moves very easily on the grass at home, for the weight of the chassis anyway.

It a toyota jack with an axle welded on the bottom which goes up into a tube, it's a bit bulky but good for home.  Not sure what i will use out bush.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 07:19:51 PM »
Or, you could make your own.  Just to clarify, i didn't make this one, it came with a big tandem chassis i just bought, 7m x 2.4 with 35's and came with 40's as spares.

Surprisingly, it moves very easily on the grass at home, for the weight of the chassis anyway.

z

It a toyota jack with an axle welded on the bottom which goes up into a tube, it's a bit bulky but good for home.  Not sure what i will use out bush.
Grass is a touch different from soft ground.

any form of dirt/sand will be a whole world of hurt.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:48:47 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spud7017

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »

Struth looks like the front end of a 747...........
VW Amarok Highline
BRS Offroad Hybrid Van
Elsie the English Staffy
KTM 1190R Adventure

Offline moose2367

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
That's what i think too, so have a few mates that i sent photo's to.  It's a 4.5T trailer though, not much chance of moving it when i finish modifying it and have it loaded

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:46 PM »
I have been running a bos jockey wheel for a while now. Best thing I have found so far. They are not removed just the wheel or plate is taken off, takes a nano second. The fold down jockey wheels  are dodgey on heavy draw bars and have resulted in some nasty injuries be careful?  I posted on here some time ago about our bos370 jockey wheel just can't find it.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:36:07 PM »
Our bos370, remove the spring clip and the main body of the Jack is clear of the ground by a country mile. Either use the handle to wind down or the ryobi drill which also drives the alko drop jacks and the Peggy pegs in to the round.  Glamping at its best, leaves max time for  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:39:16 PM by achjimmy »

Jim

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
How do you put a wheel on it while it's already holding the van up with the plate ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 11:44:04 PM »
How do you put a wheel on it while it's already holding the van up with the plate ?

The idea would be select wheel or plate before you unhitch, you could try do it mid air... Like throwing a ball up in the air and clapping before it comes down... Kidding. Blocks of wood or an axle stand under the drawbar or I also have a motorised wheel for moving the van around at home. so two clamps, therefore being able to change it while the other wheel is on.  Bos also sell pretty solid drop jacks that would support the weight if you were keen.  I grabbed a couple of different length extensions and a set of twin solid wheels for moving around inside the factory, where it will live when not being used. May end up looking at the other wheels at some stage.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 06:35:41 AM »

I don't even have the wheel option just the plate. It's brilliant no more sinking in soft sand!  If I want to move the van I hitch up, not remotely interested in busting a boiler trying to push it. But as above you just put a stand under or in my case use the other clamp. Over three vans I VE had std jockey wheels, swing away 10",  trail mate and ratchet type. The BOS with a drill is the best by a fair margin. I read somewhere they are releasing a long travel model which will be better for some. As above Aussie designed and made in western Sydney.

Jim

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
I can't see where it is bigger or stronger than others, but for some the ratchet drive must be good.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 10:35:18 AM »
I am just not sure on "Clamp On" jockey wheels / stands and the like, especially as I have 2 small kids..

I just have this fear that they may try and unscrew the clamp and everything comes down on them, A work colleague years ago lost most of his shin when one of these slipped..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
I am just not sure on "Clamp On" jockey wheels / stands and the like, especially as I have 2 small kids..

I just have this fear that they may try and unscrew the clamp and everything comes down on them

your kids would have to go to the Arnold Schwartzanigger gym to undo one of the clamps that you've tightened up and with the weight of everything on it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »

I just have this fear that they may try and unscrew the clamp and everything comes down on them, A work colleague years ago lost most of his shin when one of these slipped..

You can't unclamp my bos jockey stand. It's fastened in with a security bolt instead of the handle bolt. It stays in there all the time. 

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
I can't see where it is bigger or stronger than others, but for some the ratchet drive must be good.

It's physically about the same size. In terms of stronger I guess it is because it's geared so it will lift a higher load iirc . But for me it wasnt about being stronger it was about Convienence.

The ratchet wheels are totally pain IMO handy if you do want to move it but they put a lot of strain on the clamp too, especially the single clamp type.

Jim

Offline Spud7017

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
Ordered mine yesterday after clearing the xmas bills.....

Spoke with Bronwyn, she has the making of a bloody good politician !

Thanks for the comments fellas..........

Spud
VW Amarok Highline
BRS Offroad Hybrid Van
Elsie the English Staffy
KTM 1190R Adventure

Offline Paddington

• Sleeping Bag User
    • McGuckian's SPOT
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
Ordered mine yesterday after clearing the xmas bills.....

Spoke with Bronwyn, she has the making of a bloody good politician !

Thanks for the comments fellas..........

Spud

Hi Spud

We get our BRS in October. Did you get the longer BOS jockey wheel set and which wheel?

Cheers

Peter