Author Topic: Victa 80v cordless mower - Now 82v  (Read 19582 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Victa 80v cordless mower
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
If ya want a good electric mower with plenty of grunt.....

These are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuoS6axodxQ
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
Or one of these, for the slightly larger block you need to mow in a hurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVkTyew_bC0
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »
Ha-ha, was wondering when you'd chime in Jeepers.  :cheers: Classic
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
Digging up an oldie.
I ended up buying an 80v Victa cordless mower about a week after the last post on here. It was the last one on the shelf so Bunnings knocked $100 of the price for me which got me the mower, 2 batteries and a charger for $600. A couple of months later, they started running out the 80v range as they said it was only a promo thing with Victa. So this sucked that I'd just bought into a system that would now be phased out, but it meant the other skins would be getting cheaper.
     I picked up the 80v straight shaft whipper snipper for $75 down from $299 originally (it's a brilliant, powerful and light line trimmer). A week later I grabbed another battery which had been reduced from $259 to only $50 and got another charger for only $25. I was eyeing off the 80v chainsaw which started at $399 and every couple of weeks when I was back at bunnos I would check the price out. They dropped to $299, then $199, then to $99 then down to $50! I waited until the last one was on the shelf and then asked the Bunnings guy what the best price was that he could do. He said, "how does 20 bucks sound?" Needless to say, i grabbed it there and then. So now I have the mower, snipper, chainsaw, 3 batteries and 2 chargers which are all performing well after just over a year.
    The reason i brought this back up is because Bunnings now have the new Victa 82v range in store and it appears to be almost identical, but it unfortunately looks like the batteries aren't interchangeable which is a real shame as there's a new 4.0ah battery which would give ample run time to do my whole yard on one battery. But a little birdy in Bunnings today told me that you only need to file off some plastic to make the batteries fit so I may have to try this out.

Cheers

Grafy
My Trailer Build

The following users thanked this post: sol, filcar

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Victa 80v cordless mower - Now 82v
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »
I noticed the 82v stuff on the shelf at the smaller of my two local Bunnings about a year ago. The big one hasn't got them in yet. The Kobalt 80v stuff that masters sold was almost identical and the batteries just needed a small modification to fit in the Victa so is probably the same as that. I am pretty sure it is all just rebaged greenworks stuff out of the US

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 08:32:18 AM »
Very interesting fellas !!

Next time I need a new mower, this is what I'm going to change over to.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »
I noticed the 82v stuff on the shelf at the smaller of my two local Bunnings about a year ago. The big one hasn't got them in yet. The Kobalt 80v stuff that masters sold was almost identical and the batteries just needed a small modification to fit in the Victa so is probably the same as that. I am pretty sure it is all just rebaged greenworks stuff out of the US
Yep tryagain, just rebadged Greenworks gear and Greenworks do a 6.0ah battery which would be even better again.

Very interesting fellas !!

Next time I need a new mower, this is what I'm going to change over to.

Definitely worth a look archer63. I've had no dramas with my gear so far.
My Trailer Build

The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
Stuff that get a mowing contractor    :cup:      There all Great blokes     :cup: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
Yep tryagain, just rebadged Greenworks gear and Greenworks do a 6.0ah battery which would be even better again.

I had my eye on some of the chainsaws (were about 6 left) at my local bunnings and were down to $50 but were also waiting for the Kobalt batteries to get cheaper when masters were ramping up their discounts, then one day walked into bunnings and they had all gone and the same at masters, would have been good for the camper but alas wasn't meant to be.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
Stuff that get a mowing contractor    :cup:      There all Great blokes     :cup: :cheers:

I've heard of a few mowing blokes of questionable character, known for cutting other blokes grass 😉
My Trailer Build

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
I'd be interested to work out how the got to 82v. I understand that in the states they market 18v stuff as 20v (36v as 40v) becuase of the nature of the lithium batteries and their open voltage or something.

Makes sense that 80v might be marketing speak for 4x18v. 82v could be something different, meaning that while the batteries might be able to be filed down the internal voltages could be different.

Offline Tinbutt

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 07:39:53 AM »
Wife wanted an electric mower at the end of last year so needless to say we ended up with the new 82v Victa,  I was deadset against it having seen how Shit electric mowers have been in the past.

Got it home, charged it up and went out to show her just how Shit they really are.   

Let's just say I was totally wrong,  It handles our yard without missing a beat and has done so for the last 4 months,  and the best part of it, she enjoys using it that much that she gets out and does the lawn leaving me to do the rest of the gardening at the same time :D

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
I'd be interested to work out how the got to 82v. I understand that in the states they market 18v stuff as 20v (36v as 40v) becuase of the nature of the lithium batteries and their open voltage or something.

Makes sense that 80v might be marketing speak for 4x18v. 82v could be something different, meaning that while the batteries might be able to be filed down the internal voltages could be different.

I think from memory there are 23(?) 18650 cells that make up the battery pack, the cells are wired in series to make up to 80ish volts, the cells don't give off constant voltage so they're usually rated at the average voltage across their discharge curve from 100% to full discharge, for most Li-ions, that's from 4.2 to 2.7. A lot of the batteries discharge curve flattens out around 3.6 volts so that what many of them are rated at but you add 0.1v what you claim each battery is and you easily gain an extra 2v rating for the pack. 

From memory, I heard rumours of issues between Victa and the manufacturer so I am guessing the slight tweaking in design/specifications is to do with licencing, this is mostly just speculation though.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
Ok My current health situation brings me here .. Get a mower guy in $50 + each shot for about 12 months worth [ 2 mows a month so about 24 give or take ] of mows or fork out for the electric ..
 Even after Ive healed up pull starting the mower will be on a barred list for a good 12 months .. Wife /  family cant start the current petrol mower either ..
Those that have Battery powered mowers, How have they been stacking up ? over how many years  ? .. Battery troubles replacement parts etc etc ..
Our 10 + year old Rover 4 stroke Briggs is feeling a bit of age and I cant do the pull start thingy with the O'l girl .. Yard mow is Ok in around 45 minutes with some double passes needed over a single carport area if left for too long between mows .. Preferred cut  grass length is about 50mm out the back and a bit shorter front ..
The old 3.5 Briggs used to do it reasonably well ..
Would say an 80+ V battery mower something be roughly the same torque as a 3.5 Briggs  ? [ cant find the specs on Briggs for torque ]

TIA
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:25:40 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 05:52:54 PM »
Hi,
    No chance of making it electric start?
I took the winder of an old mower and used an electric drill and a bodged socket in the chuck to spin the recalcitrant mower till it started.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
Ok My current health situation brings me here .. Get a mower guy in $50 + each shot for about 12 months worth [ 2 mows a month so about 24 give or take ] of mows or fork out for the electric ..
 Even after Ive healed up pull starting the mower will be on a barred list for a good 12 months .. Wife /  family cant start the current petrol mower either ..
Those that have Battery powered mowers, How have they been stacking up ? over how many years  ? .. Battery troubles replacement parts etc etc ..
Our 10 + year old Rover 4 stroke Briggs is feeling a bit of age and I cant do the pull start thingy with the O'l girl .. Yard mow is Ok in around 45 minutes with some double passes needed over a single carport area if left for too long between mows .. Preferred cut  grass length is about 50mm out the back and a bit shorter front ..
The old 3.5 Briggs used to do it reasonably well ..
Would say an 80+ V battery mower something be roughly the same torque as a 3.5 Briggs  ? [ cant find the specs on Briggs for torque ]

TIA

Edz, just as an alternative have a look at the EGO 56volt range, they have a mower which is self propelled and gives a run time of approx 1hr from memory.
Hope your recovery is coming along nicely.

:cheers:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
Given how I usualy improvise most things the drill idea would work great Aust, Id just have to get someone to work on the top of the mower ATM though ..
Cant bend or put too much strain between the chest and the hips for the next couple of months ..
Thanks Potts , Yep pushing up on 5 days post OP , Trying  the best to rest the Torso section as much as possible  .. Funny how it effects most everything you do .  :'(
Besides a Shiny new toy is always nice to play with, Even if it is in a very limited capacity . :laugh:

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 08:34:36 PM »
I reckon this would be the easier way to go:

https://www.stihl.co.uk/VIKING-Products/120891/iMow-Robotic-Mower.aspx

If that's cost prohibitive, then I reckon that option 2 is one of these.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:33 AM »
80v Victa still going strong after lots of use. No problems so far. I see Bunnings have just released an 18" deck version of the 82V mower for $499 which is a fair bit cheaper than the 21" cut model. Might be an option for you.
My Trailer Build

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 04:42:22 AM »
Thanks Graffy thats what I wanted to hear , Yep the 18" Deck is  one of them I was looking at, at the Big green shed and youtube vids etc..
Hows that camper trailer of yours holding up  now over the years  ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:45:22 AM by edz »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 07:30:30 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
I've been happy enough with a ryobi 36v mower. I bought it 2nd hand too see if it would cope with the lawn. It is a little underpowered, but in reality it's only a problem when I've left the yard a bit long, and only for the thick bits. It'll do my 350m2 of lawn on a 5ah battery, except when I need to do two cuts on the long stuff. It's light, quiet, easy to start and requires almost nil maintenance. I won't be going back to petrol.