Author Topic: Query on Jayco Penguin  (Read 1872 times)

Offline suziq

• Swag User
Query on Jayco Penguin
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Hubby is thinking of reversing the axle on our 2009 on road Jayco Penguin. Would go off road possibly, but only in a sensible manner. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Suziq.

Offline 2003gxl

• Tent User
Re: Query on Jayco Penguin
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I have a mate who done the same with his jayco eagle, he has taken his on sensible offeoad tracks and so far so good. The interiors are  made the same its just the bigger size chassis and shock absorbers which probably soften the rugged tracks etc. Just my 2c worth anyway ???
Greg
2005 Jayco Dove Outback by 2003 Prado gxl 3ltr TD Auto and Alloy Bullbar , IPF Extremes, Dual batteries, Safari Dtronics Chip / snorkel,radiator bash plate,uhf, Mandrel Bent Exhaust 2inch Lift & Gdyr MTR 70 series play tyres on steelies

Offline Just some guy

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »
Hi Suziq, i have a penguin that has the axle over spring conversion done and it is good.  It adds a significant amount of clearance.  We have done some rough dirt roads and minor creek crossings (nothing seroiusly rough or deep though) and the only problem we have had was 4 of the 6 rivets that hold the door on broke - this happens on the off road jaycos too!

If you have an annex you will have to make the walls longer so it still they still reach the ground - otherwise, GO FOR IT!
Please keep in mind - I'm just some guy.  I don't know nothin about nothin!

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »
Presumably you'd want to lift your tow ball height by the same amount to keep things level.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.