Author Topic: New camper decisions, decisions...  (Read 46896 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
New camper decisions, decisions...
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:54 AM »
Carrying on from the discussion here (thanks Matto) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264.msg450247#msg450247 I am potentially going to replace the Goldstream with a soft floor.

So far I have looked at a few.

Aussie Jays 'Crusher' (new)
Pros - Good price, well built trailer
Cons - Can't fit Prado wheels as tent won't reach ground, non Aussie tent

Customline Deluxe Off Road (new)
Pros - Well built trailer and tent, can modify to fit Prado wheels
Cons - Not a fan of the ladder to get into the bed

Tambo Marlo (2nd hand)
Pros - Well built trailer and tent, step for bed entry/exit
Cons - Can't fit Prado wheels as tent won't reach ground
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:25:25 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: New camper decisions, decisions...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
I'd say the wheels not fitting is a 0% issue at all.

First thing - is it worth investing in? if you never used the last one, is this one going to sit there cause parole is not granted too?

Keep looking around.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:49:49 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
Come up to Rosehill Super Show; all the brands will be there.

What features are essential for you?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
I'd say the wheels not fitting is a 0% issue at all.

Non-constructive comments ignored

I already have the wheels/tyres and I had them matching on the Tambo and I want that again.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
Quote from: D4D
I already have the wheels/tyres and I had them matching on the Tambo and I want that again.
So would that stop you buying a better trailer than one with playdo wheels?  I'd think its nice to have, but far from a deal killer if the right trailer came up at a bargain price.

Anyway wouldn't be long before you were due to replace playdo would it?

drop by for coffee, ya knows where I work.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Whay the change back to a soft floor mate ??
I Drink & I Know Things

KingBilly

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »
Customline Deluxe Off Road (new)
Cons - Not a fan of the ladder to get into the bed

Mate, would recommend the east/west bed option as no climbing over the missus getting into and out of bed.  Then just get the cheapo Bunnings ladder I got.  Problem solved.

Also check out the Trackabout.  Very similar product and may just suit what you're looking for.

KB

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
Not a soft floor, but there might be a Cub Drover coming up soon.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
The walkway is a great feature, especially when you've got children. It makes it easy to get in and out of bed, without crawling over your missus, and give heaps of accessible space for travel storage.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Canaussie

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
Have ya looked at lifestyle Extenda or the budget walk through??

Sent from Billy's iPhone using Tapatalk
Vinnie D4 2.7L 2012
Boogie Lifestyle extenda 2012

Mods.....what mods?

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
You're welcome D4D.

Easy solution to the wheel issue - just pack a shovel to dig wheel ditches. Although you might not be welcome back at the caravan park. The wimps will say "just deflate your tyres", but there's no fun in that.

Seriously though, I see the attraction of matching wheels. I paid more and leant on Johnny's generosity to get the camper wheels and tyres matching the Pathy's exactly. I can see Lost's side as well (probably about the only time you'll hear me say that). For us, the rationale was that if we did a long trip, we'd have heaps of spares. That's really the core of it - no one "needs" blingy mud tyres on a camper for the camper's sake.

If you're looking second-hand, then you don't have the luxury of getting the camper made to suit the wheels. Which means the question of "are you going to do any long trips where you might need to swap tyres?" is really the crux of the matter. IE, for us, it was just extra money that we paid when buying, and it got made to suit - no downside (other than the money...). Maybe we never will do said long trip, and the camper has certainly got less use this last year than I had hoped.

You might hate me for this, but I'm actually going to reference Lost's comment above - what are your plans for actually getting out and using it? If it's just a cheap weekender for once every two months, then I seriously wouldn't be bothered about the wheels/tyres. So long as it's got some sort of decent-quality, LT tyre for the stronger sidewalls, I'd go with it. Carry a plug-kit, and if you're really concerned strap on a spare tyre carcass somewhere and throw a pair of tyre pliers in the toolbox. I know you're not afraid of the tougher tracks, so that might be a good compromise, if a bit bulky.

Likewise the walkway -v- standard decision. I love the walkway in our camper - I wouldn't swap it for the world. It is A.W.E.S.O.M.E. But, it makes the trailer very long. And they're more expensive. Again, I'm happy with the compromise, feel I can avoid most damage by picking the right lines, and am happy to repair any cosmetic damage. But I'm not sure I'd want to tow such a long, heavy camper up through the high country, for instance.

Out of the ones you've listed above, I'd have the Marlo. I'd throw the tyres/wheels you already have on eBay to offset the purchase price.

Teabag had a Customline in the past, and speaks very highly of it. Of the ones I've seen, I tend to agree with him. If matching the wheels is just something that you want, then you may have answered your own question.

Just out of curiosity, what size are the Prado tyres? It's not like you're running 35's - I would imagine any tent would be able to take an inch or two taller tyres and still work OK? Maybe not completely square, but so long as you don't belt the pegs right in and tear off the loops...???

Good luck,
Matto
(Who's not yet ever needed to swap a wheel between car and camper, and probably never will)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline BLKWDW

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
Can those 2 trailers that wont fit your wheels because of the height be fitted with airbags so once at camp you can dump the trailer so the tent will fit.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »
You already know the answer to your question. Once you have owned a Tambo you can never own anything else D4D.   >:D >:D >:D 

On the wheel front I would not be surprised if they didn't fit and had enough drop on the canvas. The Omeo is a standard tent and I run the same wheels ans tyres as the patrol and on the weekend I had the drop side up 40mm and the tent was fine.

I would not have anything but a walk up after owning both. The extra length can be a problem but that is only on the extreme level which would be about 2% of my campers life. Track about would be my next in line as Tambo are no more except on the second hand market

GG

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »
D4D you know you want a 200 mate so forget the wheel issues.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »
I don't know what your budget is, but Adventure Offroad Trailers are a fantastic design.

We recently bought one at the Perth C&C show, the model we bought was the Grand Tourer, I also had a few extras added to it and pick it up in May
We intend to do the big lap in the near future and I was tossing up between a caravan, campervan or a camper trailer. We decided on the latter, because it can get into places some of the others can't, easier to tow and a little lighter on fuel.
After looking at quite a few different types and designs I didn't see anything that really grabbed me. The idea of climbing over each other to get into or out of bed put me off a lot of them.

The GT's bed is folded in half and housed in a waterproof compartment in the bottom of the trailer, it slides out, rotates around and unfolds, complete with tent. The passenger side of the trailer has a full length kitchen all at waist height, the other side is 1100 litres of storage space. Whatever is loaded on the roof rack, stays on the roof rack, there is no need to remove anything when setting up or packing up.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
Some interesting replies...

Chester - We haven't decided to get a soft floor just looking at alternate options.

KingBilly - I would be interested in having a look at your east/west bed option, any pics?

Lost - I have just looked at what options are around for replacing the 120 and nothing meets my requirements so I plan to keep the 120 indefinitely hence the wheel matching.

BigJules - Walkways are great but they make the camper/tent too big for what I want as I am looking at a smaller and lighter camper.

Matto - Most tents are made for 30-31 inch tyres, the 17s on the Prado are 32 inch, it was Jason from Aussie Jay's who said his tent wouldn't fit.

GGPatrol - On my Tambo Cooper, Keith had to fit a custom axle due to the offset of the Prado rims, I doubt I'd be able to get the Marlo modified to suit.

achjimmy - You know I'd buy a 200 in a heartbeat if it would fit in the carpark at work

As I said we're in no hurry, still looking at options, might keep the Goldstream if I don't get offered a good price.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »
It makes it easy to get in and out of bed, without crawling over your missus......
What do you mean Jules? That's all the fun.. Just roll a leg over while you're at it and makes for a good night  :-*  >:D

D4 I reckon the customline is a goodthing. I camped next to one over Christmas and they look well built and finished. Was quiet impressed for the modest price and options Also had a geezer at JCATS lifestyle on the weekend and also impressive. Always liked them too.

Decisions Decisions. Be interested to see which way you go.

:cheers: BD
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:40:18 PM by Black Diamond »
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

KingBilly

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
KingBilly - I would be interested in having a look at your east/west bed option, any pics?

Will find some on the weekend and post.

KB

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »
I dunno BD - I tried that trick one night. When I came around about 10am the next morning I was lying in a heap on the floor with a broken nose and a nervous twitch. Haven't been game to try it again.

D4D - I did wonder whether the offset would be a problem. The Pathy runs a weird offset too. I wonder if the stance on fitting wheel spacers on a trailer is different to fitting them to a car? Prob not.

I'm surprised to hear that a trailer made for a 31" tyre wouldn't work with a 32. The 32 will lift the trailer, what, a max of about 15mm? I would have thought the tent could deal with that. But, if the dude who makes them says otherwise, he'd probably know more than me.

Re: the East-west bed, I think from memory Crazy Dog had done something similar to his old Trackabout. He fitted a board that was hinged off the bed base, about a foot under the bed. When he was setting up he lifted the mattress and folded the board out - it was about 2' long. He then simply swiveled the mattress, and the foot rested on the extension board. Gave him neat little "bedside tables" either side of the bed too.

Good luck with your camper chasing. I'm sure whatever you get will be good.

Cheers,
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Armadillo & Customline Campers

• Tent User
  • Aussie Made, Aussie Owned, Aussie Tough.
    • Customline Camper Trailers
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Hi D4D,
We have 2 options for an east/west bed.
One is 2 single mattresses as in the pic.
Or turn the hole queen size mattress with an ally surport which slides in the side of the bed base, and is stored under the matterss when packed up.
 :cheers:

Rod.....
www.customline.com.au
Rod@customline.com.au
www.armadillocampers.com.au
https://scontent-a-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10479144_653750608056996_765917182289645688_o.jpg

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 02:31:53 PM »
Most (i am not saying all) of the trailers I have looked at have been 235/75/15. This equates to a 29.1 inch diameter of wheel and tyre.    Putting a 32 inch tyre combo under a hard floor trailer will make a difference. The difference would be that the hardfloor would need to travel down further (approx 75mm) past where it should have to make contact with the ground.  This may require a modification to the floor of the trailer.

My statement is all theory; I have yet to test it myself.

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
A guy from work picks up his Crusher tomorrow. Boy is he pumped! I reckon value for money buy Aussie Jay.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
............The difference would be that the hardfloor would need to travel down further (approx 75mm) past where it should have to make contact with the ground.  This may require a modification to the floor of the trailer.

Some hard floor campers have adjustable legs...........
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Most (i am not saying all) of the trailers I have looked at have been 235/75/15. This equates to a 29.1 inch diameter of wheel and tyre.    Putting a 32 inch tyre combo under a hard floor trailer will make a difference. The difference would be that the hardfloor would need to travel down further (approx 75mm) past where it should have to make contact with the ground.  This may require a modification to the floor of the trailer.

My statement is all theory; I have yet to test it myself.

The increase in height from a 29" tyre to a 32" tyre would 1.5" or 38mm.  On a hard floor camper you could just stick a block of wood on the ground. 

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »
The increase in height from a 29" tyre to a 32" tyre would 1.5" or 38mm.  On a hard floor camper you could just stick a block of wood on the ground.

Thanks for that.  You are right.  typo on my behalf.  I halved the 75mm (3inches) in my head but typed 75 instead of 38.  Didn't notice i did that until you pointed it out.  Cheers Muz.