Author Topic: Chainsaw Safety - Should the use of PPE be legislated?  (Read 40697 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Chainsaw Safety - Should the use of PPE be legislated?
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
Why do we need seat belts then?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Crookedpete

• Swag User
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »

Why do we need legislation against common sense?
If I wish to use a chainsaw without PPE, I expect the RIGHT to do so without law intervening.

I reckon you are entitled to that right, .........

.........provided I have the right not to have to contribute my tax dollars towards your rehabilitation if you arrive at the emergency department missing a leg, and you agree not to sue me as your employer if you had an accident at work and weren't wearing PPE I'd provided and trained you to Use.

Until recently, I managed a hardwood sawmill. Chainsaws are bloody dangerous, even in experienced hands.

Until people accept responsibility for their own actions/stupidity/lack of common sense, I'm happy
to see PPE legislated. Particularly, when the rest of society bears the burden and cost of their stupidity.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
And why not let drivers be hoons in our streets ???
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »

they apparently come in pretty handy for stopping people flying through windows.
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:19 AM »
Don't you think there are enough rules?....

There should be free training programs offered,  some rescue outfits may already do just that.. Maybe they could be listed if they exist. 
I did do a chainsaw training course in the NZ'd Army Engineers many years ago and still use my knowledge in the correct use and maintenance or saws today,,, Notice I did not mention safety...  The safety that was taught on this course wasn't PPE but how to use a saw correctly..... Needless to say I use a Chainsaw without PPE all the time, where people can get awfully unstuck is not knowing HOW to use a saw, in those cases you should use PPE if you want to survive, I choose not to as it is bulky/expensive and often not on hand at the time, also where I often cut PPE can get in the way in scrub and as long as you know how to control saw and you always maintain a safe saw you will be safe.....   

If we are careful we will turn into robots not unlike the support staff I have to deal with in the subcontinent where to do anything you need doco rather than common sense....

How about just legislate "Common Bloody Sense"   
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
...as long as you know how to control saw and you always maintain a safe saw you will be safe.....   

Ignorance is bliss

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
I suppose reading this thread that there is every likelihood my first aid business will flourish:) as will the need to supply items to control blood flow;)
First aid training and supplies.
First aid is NOT a bandaid solution.

Offline cdustbehindme

• Tent User
  • Nothing like an Odysee
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
 :cup:  hahaha GLC, that is gold! 
The perfect campsite IS out there.........

Offline morcon

• Tent User
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »
No to legislating. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT do any of the good folk who wear full PPE everytime they start a chansaw up wear a fire proof racing suit, helmet and 5 point harness everytime they drive their car? It would be much safer if you did and would also reduce the extent of injuries if involved in an accident. Accidents will always happen.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
Re: Re: Chainsaw Safety - Should the use of PPE be legislated?
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
This thread really needs some 6 b&s....

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »

Why do we need legislation against common sense?
If I wish to use a chainsaw without PPE, I expect the RIGHT to do so without law intervening. I don't see why a 3rd party needs to interfere.

Don't get me wrong I do agree with you, but the above could be argued this way.

You injure yourself because your not wearing correct PPE.  You call up the taxpayer 000, to request a taxpayer funded ambulance take you to the closest taxpayer funded emergency ward, so taxpayer funded doctors can tend to you.  Why should the poor PPE abiding taxpayer have to shell out for you stupidity?

Sounds over the top, but it could be legitimately argued.

A few years ago at the height of the diy tv show craze I was chatting with a emergency department nurse.  He said if he had his way, 9" angle grinders, 9" circular saws and extension/step ladders would be banned from weekend warriors.  Said they were some of the most common things to fill the emergency ward on a Sunday arvo.

Ive been using chainsaws for 20 yrs without incident, I use em in thongs, I use em half cut,

That's nothing...  I once use a chainsaw without filling in a SWMS!  Talk about a real daredevil.
 ;D

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
FOR F#@K SAKE .......enough!

how do I get this and Pat Poopahans TV  Show off my posted replies list
Don't reply to a post.

Your post has been deleted so you will not see this post.  ;D
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline mnemonix

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »
I injure myself so I call 000 to request an ambulance, paid for by my seperate ambulance cover policy.
To take me to a private hospital, as part of the health fund I contribute too anually.
Why should the poor law abiding tax payer have more losses of liberty forced upon him?
I am a tax payer, and a quite high contributor at that. This has nothing to do with cost saving.

Once again, there is no need to legislate against common sense. The most dangerous thing in the world is a human.
We are the cause of accidents.

Don't get me wrong I do agree with you, but the above could be argued this way.

You injure yourself because your not wearing correct PPE.  You call up the taxpayer 000, to request a taxpayer funded ambulance take you to the closest taxpayer funded emergency ward, so taxpayer funded doctors can tend to you.  Why should the poor PPE abiding taxpayer have to shell out for you stupidity?

Sounds over the top, but it could be legitimately argued.

A few years ago at the height of the diy tv show craze I was chatting with a emergency department nurse.  He said if he had his way, 9" angle grinders, 9" circular saws and extension/step ladders would be banned from weekend warriors.  Said they were some of the most common things to fill the emergency ward on a Sunday arvo.

That's nothing...  I once use a chainsaw without filling in a SWMS!  Talk about a real daredevil.
 ;D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
To take me to a private hospital, as part of the health fund I contribute too anually.

In an emergency ambos will take you to the closest available ER, most likely won't be private.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Crookedpete

• Swag User
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:22 AM »
I injure myself so I call 000......

Just make sure you tourniquet your leg with some 6B&S cable, while you are waiting. Anything else wouldn't be thick enough to properly stop the blood flow.
 ;D

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2011, 06:33:16 AM »
I injure myself so I call 000 to request an ambulance, paid for by my seperate ambulance cover policy.
Why should the poor law abiding tax payer have more losses of liberty forced upon him?
I am a tax payer, and a quite high contributor at that. This has nothing to do with cost saving.

Once again, there is no need to legislate against common sense. The most dangerous thing in the world is a human.
We are the cause of accidents.

Okay, I'll play the devils advocate.

So what your saying is it should be compulsory for all chainsaw operators to have private health cover and high tax paying job?
What about the dole bludger who borrows his neighbours chainsaw?

It's like the common argument about smokers clogging up the health system and wasting nonsmoking taxpayers money.  Smokers argue that they pay hefty cigarette taxs to contribute towards the health system and that it's their right to choose to smoke.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2011, 06:41:16 AM »
To those who are talking about 'common sense' I would pose 2 philosophical questions -

What is 'common sense'? And why do you believe it to be 'common' in the first place?
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2011, 06:52:45 AM »
Agreed Symon, I firmly believe a lot of people today have no common sense or initiative.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
Agreed Symon, I firmly believe a lot of people today have no common sense or initiative.

Absolutely, and the won't get it through laws and regulation.

Cheers
Parry

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2011, 07:10:39 AM »
the trouble with common sense, it is  normally found when looking though hind sight.
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
The way I see it 'common sense' is a myth, a fallacy, a fantasy dreamt up by those who want to justify something without reason or evidence.

It is highly dependent on experience - and the fact that everyone's experience is different is the reason why you cannot use 'common sense' as a justification for anything.  What is 'common sense' to you is different to my version of 'common sense'.  Hence nothing is 'common', so the fantasy of this magical common body of knowledge that everyone 'just knows' is totally false.

Once you understand that fact, you get to understand why 'due diligence' in WH&S legislation is worded the way it is.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:25:17 AM by Symon »

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »
The way I see it 'common sense' is a myth, a fallacy, a fantasy dreamt up by those who want to justify something without reason or evidence.

It is highly dependent on experience - and the fact that everyone's experience is different is the reason why you cannot use 'common sense' as a justification for anything.  What is 'common sense' to you is different to my version of 'common sense'.  Hence nothing is 'common', so the fantasy of this magical common body of knowledge that everyone 'just knows' is totally false.
X2

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »
Really? I would think, 'hey that mower/saw/brushcutter is loud so I should protect my ears' would be a pretty simple concept. However I guess considering the number of people who have their headphones too loud, probably not.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Spurio

• Swag User
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2011, 08:09:15 AM »
I believe the pollies need to introduce a natural selection bill that waivers compensation for any act by a person(s) whos actions could be nominated for a darwinian award.

As a species, natural selection should be encouraged !!!!

They could set up a summit, a conference, a review panel ............

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »
Really? I would think
That's the key issue here D4D

YOU THINK in relation to what you have learn't from your experience, but so many don't think or have the experience which makes it un-common sense.

Common sense is a fallacy created by individuals who arrogantly think that because they have a certain knowledge, that everyone else should automatically posses that same knowledge ::)

bubba :cheers: