Author Topic: Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle  (Read 47654 times)

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
I managed to pick up a Model 12 Lithgow 5 shot.

James

Geez mate, looks like, or very similar to my 10th birthday present, brand spanker it was too. minus the tripod and scope!

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »

Im thinking of buying a .17HMR, anyone have and experience with these?

With regard to .17HMR ammo there seems to be a problem with brass cracking and the powder absorbing moisture. When this happens it may only send the projectile halfway down the barrel. Shooter thinks its a missfire and crankes another round in. When this is fired it hits bullet already in barrel and you can guess the rest.
Good warning on this ammo on shooters website.
http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/13677-17-hmr-ammunition-warning-please-read/

As they state in warning you need to check every round.

Offline GMac

• Swag User
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »
Apart from the warning regarding some current ammo, the .17 hmr seems to be a lot of fun.

I have a Savage .22LR, a Ruger .223 & a Tikka 7mm/08

Is a good hobby that I plan on introducing my boy to when he is bit older!!

Greg

Offline christofurry

• Swag User
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
Thanks for the heads up regarding the ammo!

We brought a Savage 93GV in the .17HMR and topped it with a Redfield 4-9-40mm scope with an Accu-range recticle. So its a blued heavy varmit barrel, with a standard timber stock. I fell in love with the stainless thumbhole version, but then reality set in and I remembered I dont like stainless, and the missis is left handed...

In regards to how it shoots, all I can say is WOW!

For such a small little projectile does it hit hard! Its fast, flat and roll's rabbits a couple of times!

Its had a couple of trips to the range, and at 100m I can shoot 1 MOA groups, everytime. This is a working gun however so its no range queen, and 100m rabbit head shots off the car door are easily done.

Will grab some pics next time its out

Chris
Often seen driving a highly modified HDJ105 dragging a Trackabout Safari

Offline uncyspam

• Swag User
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
My Krico 120E and 400A are my favourites... I loved my CZ 452, but the 455 isn't half as good...

One of my mates has a savage 93R which is ok, but not a patch on the Krico for accuracy.

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
1974 Brno Mod 2.  Will shoot 5 cent coins at 50m all day which is obviously enough for Minute-of-bunny out to about 75m.  I use Winchester Power Points almost exclusively.  Although lately I have been using sub-sonics for the kids.  Just got onto a new property only 1.5 hours from home and it is full with bunnies, foxes and the odd goat and pig.  Can't wait to get out there. 

Also keen to get into the National Parks when they begin to be opened up.  They are packed full of feral game and will provide plenty of shooting.  Will be fun to watch the figures of feral animals taken from the National Parks.

Cheers
CB
2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »
Ahhhh, the memories, Thanks for jogging the old brain.

Like many have said, Dad bought me a .22 when I was 15. OK, it was only a Stirling (semi-auto)  but I loved it. Central Queensland - rabbit and roo shooting with Dad. The mongrel was a crack shot and I was capable but well short of his league. Took a few foxes and even had to drop a pig once with it.

I bought myself a Krico .22 Mag in 1979 and thought until reading these pages that I might be the only Krico owner in Oz. Also have a 1917 SMLE .303 and a Howa .270 plus an air rifle.

Still enjoy "subterrainean chicken" and deer hunting (for meat not coat hangers).

Cheers
John
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »
Reviving this old thread ..

I've recently re licensed and my daughter  got her's at the same time .. The missus has had hers for years ..
The missus kept an early Gamo .177 and the single shot breach break .22hornet after all the changes but we never really went shooting...

I've been wanting to get into a bit of target shooting so we upgraded the Gamo to a new CFX .177 , wow what a nice slugie at a bit over 1000fps ..

Then on Monday we decided to buy 3 consecutively numbered New Lithgow LA101 crossover rifles in .22lr .. Now it's the wait..  I went along to the local range last weekend for the first ever time on a range just too see how it all works, looking forward to a bit of target shooting...

Someone in here mentioned a rabbit shooter from Yunta ....
I shot with an old bloke from Olary/Mannahill who had re barreled a couple of .22  over his time .. He would set a string of traps on a furrow of oats , then go off and shoot for a while , come back pick off the foxes feeding on the trapped rabbits , reset the traps , wring the necks of the trapped bunnys , and repeat ,, getting his racks full , well before I could shoot my 50 or 60 pair for a night .. Only ever managed 100 pair once or twice ...

I also brought a Akkar Churchill 30" sporter over&under 12g for the missus for xmas and we have been smashing clays a couple of arvos a week .. great fun ... but am looking forward to the .22 for cheeper arvo entertainment ..

Cheers

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »
Nice work on the Lithgow's!
Dad has a Model 12 repeater, as well as a single shot, and my uncles single shot. I've got a '58 model 5 BRNO and a '72 model 2 BRNO. I've shot them all a lot and the Lithgow is better IMO. If I had to buy a .22, I'd be looking for and old Lithgow, or a new one if I could afford it.

I've also got a Krico .22Mag

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
Having this thread dug up reminded me....since this started I picked up a .22 PWS T3.....it's obvious I miss my 10/22. ????

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline chappo555

• Swag User
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
Easy answer. My new lithgow crossover. Awesome and aussie made.

Offline chappo555

• Swag User
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »
Hey FNQ bunyip. Try CCI green tag in the lithgows. I've set four up now and they all love it.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »
My dad's old Winchester bought by his dad in 1944, the week he was born. I was using it up until 2003, and was the rifle I learnt to shoot on using the original iron sights.

Sadly I had to leave it in the UK with my mum and it's since been deactivated.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2015, 05:51:21 AM »
Also had a 10/22. It was great, until I bought a second hand Chinese copy of a BRNO from a bloke at the local pub.
That thing was the most used and abused rifle I owned. It was deadly accurate. Far more accurate over a distance than the Ruger, which was hardly used after that.
Everyone used to laugh at this thing, until they had a shot with it. Bit like owning a Chinese camper trailer. ;D

(just had a quick google search. Was a Norinco JW-15 I think? )
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »
Hey FNQ bunyip. Try CCI green tag in the lithgows. I've set four up now and they all love it.

I'll grab a brick next trip to Kans.. Cheers

Offline mtb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Learnt to shoot with Dads new 1980 Brno model 2, open sights.

Used to dream about having a scope on it. Saved my rabbit and fox skin money (sold 9 fox skins in 1987 for $200) and brought a Tasco 4x40 scope.

My son is learning with it now. Great memories.

Mtb

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
I have a BRNO Model 2 set up as a bench rest rifle with a 6 x 24 scope on it.
The Misses has a Marlin micro groove .22 magnum.
Eldest son has a Winchester Pump action .22 (he's left handed)
Youngest son has a Miroku Lever Action .22
Plus just bought a Winchester model 94 30-30 carbine lever action all newly hot reblued, going to broker it this weekend.
Not to mention Swedish Mauser 6.5x55, and an under/over 12g

Then there is the pistols................................

For shootin bunnies the sons .22 Lever action is my favorite, and going to do it at Easter, not long now.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »
Any recommended forums for gun talk / chat ..??
general good reading ,friendly , like it is here .

cheers

Offline GXL4X4

• Tent User
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »
Hi I have a CZ Brono 22  forsale in great condition it's only 2 years old it's only had about 30 rounds thought I'm not at home but if any one is interested email me gxl4x4@bigpond.com I am in Yea Victoria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk