Author Topic: Lincoln LX Mk2 (or similar) or Jayco Swan/Eagle/Hawk Outback?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
Lincoln LX Mk2 (or similar) or Jayco Swan/Eagle/Hawk Outback?
« on: September 17, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »
Tossing up between the two and having a hard time so figured I'd post up and get some input here.

Two adults, Two toddlers. This means setup needs to be easy enough solo. I've seen the Ezytrail setup solo in around 5-10 minutes (no awning). I haven't seen what the Jayco is like though?

Tow rig is a 93 GQ Patrol Wagon, 2500kg towing limit. Have EBC already fitted.

Budget is around 20k. Less is a bonus, but we are planning a lap of probably 12 months or more so would rather spend a touch extra and like what we're in.

Have a small 3.8m Punt with 10HP Four stroke Honda which would be good to take with. Would prefer not to put this on the car if I can avoid it. Will also be hoping to take the kids and maybe our bicycles along.

We plan to free camp as much as possible to keep costs down, so will be taking solar panels with us, and likely upgrading battery capacity (have a 215ah AGM in our soft floor currently, so will want to add that to next camper, weighs 72kg though). Ideal trip would see us doing GRR, Oodnadatta, Old Tele, etc - but would also have us spending some time on bitumen. Time isn't a concern, I'm happy to crawl along the corrugations if it means saving the camper from falling apart. We're happy to only drive an hour or three every week or so.

Pro's of the Ezytrail
-210L water storage
-2.5t ATM
-Fold off boat rack
-No wind up cables to break

Con's of the Ezytrail
-External kitchen (this is also a pro I guess)
-Not as much internal storage room maybe?
-HEAVY (1900kg tare)
-Price, doesn't seem to be any MK2 available second hand so new is likely only option

Pro's of the Jayco's
-Nicer interior
-Maybe more internal storage
-Much lighter TARE
-Price, second hand can find older models (1999-2010) for 10-15k.

Con's
-Usually only 100L water storage
-SMALLER payload
-boatrack is on roof, meaning unloading the boat every setup
-internal kitchen means no quick lunch stops

At the moment we are leaning towards the Lincoln mainly because of the fold off boatrack and payload benefits. I'd love the lighter Jayco, but once we have water, heavier battery and boat on, we're likely over our ATM already. Which means upgrading, which means spending more money, negating one of the benefits of saving a bit of coin in the first place.

So, any other pro's/cons I'm not thinking of? Who has one or the other, sell me on the idea, or out of it!?

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
Re: Lincoln LX Mk2 (or similar) or Jayco Swan/Eagle/Hawk Outback?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
Gidday mate, half ya luck going on a nice long trip. For me, there is no way I would be taking a rig where I had to unload the boat every time I wanted to set up- hell I could hardly be arsed popping the top on mine after 3 months. So for me, would need a boat loader or alternate boat transport option. Additionally, by your stats, the additional water is invaluable and a kitchen set up for lunches on the run is very handy.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 04:26:37 PM »
Personally, I would not take a pop top Jayco, with a boat on top, anywhere near the Gibb. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad road but, I reckon that setup is looking for trouble on a lot of outback roads.!

I have a boat rack on my Goldstream and definitely don't do o/night stops. ;D
As for the kitchen setup, we don't use the internal kitchen unless it's to boil the early morning billy. We have a portable gas stove with 4.5 kg bottle which is quicker and easier to use for a meal during travel than lifting the roof, pushing the beds out a bit, to get access and firing up the stove. Most people we know with pop tops or small, off road vans, very rarely if at all, use the on board stove. Non-use also keeps the interior cleaner.

I would love my Goldie to have a pull out kitchen but the portable cooker on a table is the next best thing.

Happy Travels, whatever the decision.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:28:53 PM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
Ezytrail Campers Owners page on facebook

Lincoln lx secondhand $15900 ion SA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1213308812030813/permalink/2866496346712043/?sale_post_id=2866496346712043

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
Ditch the boat.  It's 2 small for up north to be of any real benefit. Also the  fuel you save from not adding the extra wind drag could be put towards hiring a boat or charter  somewhere.

By leaving the boat behind could then give you more options on a van.
If you need to do all the heavy lifting alone, if me if be looking at a small poptop  van. Jayco StarCraft or the likes. Don't under estimate the luxury of a inside loo and shower.

Joe.
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »
It’s one thing camping for a couple weeks, living out of it for 12 months is another level. Basically you will be in the camper rain hail or shine, for that I reckon the jayco is the go. Once the beds are pulled out living space is fantastic.

BUT if you’re taking a boat the jayco is out. Lifting on/off each time you move will get old after the first week. You really need to be sure that you want to take the boat. Lots of those roads you mention have no places to use the boat so you will be dragging it around the country for maybe 20 uses.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
Can always add a slide out kitchen to a jayco which is what i want to do when time to upgrade.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »
Can you maybe hire one for a couple of days each and see what you prefer to pack and unpack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper