Author Topic: Cheap Fridge/Freezers  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Cheap Fridge/Freezers
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has a relatively cheap 12v compressor fridge that they've been happy with?
(Or had a bad experience that you can share so I don't make the same mistake.)

I have a 60 litre ARB in my ute which gets a fair bit of use, but I'm thinking about getting a smaller, cheaper unit to use both in my hybrid camper, and also occasionally when we go somewhere in my wife's ASX. It's probably only going to be used a few times a year, so I don't really want to shell out a grand or more for one of the big name fridges.

Ones I've seen on the internet and are considering are:

Devanti 55 litre (plastic case) from Kogan. It has a Secop (Danfos) compressor with a 3 year warranty, and the specs look pretty good. $511 delivered including a soft cover. It looks very similar to the cheaper Dometic/Waeco units.
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/2-in-1-55l-portable-fridge-and-freezer-nw-outdoor/

Evakool Koolmate (steel) KM55. It's obviously one of their Chinese made units, and has a Chinese copy of the Secop compressor. 2 year warranty. $399 plus $40 delivery. A cover is an extra $30, as is a 240 to 12v adaptor.
https://www.evakool.com/bundle-km55-koolmate

Has anyone had either of these units, or something similar you can either recommend or advise me to keep away from?
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
Re: Cheap Fridge/Freezers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
I got a 50L sphere free with my swan. I've mentioned it in the fridge thread. I only use it for day trips or sitting by the pool because I have a waeco cfx for camping. It does work, but there are 2 things I don't love about it -

1 - It gets a full 5 degrees above the temp you set it to before the compressor kicks on. I set it to zero for drinks and it can be anywhere between 0 and 5.
2 - After about a year of infrequent use, LCD segments are failing. I've just about lost enough of them that I don't know what the temp is, so hopefully it remembers that it's set to zero forever now.

That's the extent of my experience with cheap fridges, FWIW.
The following users thanked this post: Merts

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
Thanks Hookie.

The other unit I wondered about is the Waeco CF40, (which people either seem to love or hate.) :)

Anaconda have them at a special 'club' price of $599 including a cover.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
I would buy the CF40, it is the old model but is a good price and probably not that much less efficient than the new model.
Last time I checked Anaconda was only one of a couple that were still selling this model and chaepaer than the other by a couple of hundred.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »
I was going to mention the cdf35. We have 3 of them in the family. You won’t kill one any time soon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:17:29 PM by GBC »

Offline Homerj

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
I bought a cheap Chinese one off Ebay to go in the camper but can't recall the brand.  It was loud, power hungry, had a crappy lid and ran almost constantly, even at night when the weather cooled down. After one trip it was banished to the shed and was replaced with a Waeco cfx 40 which I reckon is a really good fridge.
I'd go for the cf 40 and bag at the price you found, my cf 50 in the car has been fine for many years.
2005 Pajero with a few bits and pieces.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. As it happens BCF now have the new Waeco CFF45 on special for club members for $599 too. That might be best as from what I've read they are more efficient and the lid is much better.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:15:24 PM »
Hi Merts, I payed $200 for a upright 55lt second hand Chinese fridge, its very quite when running when the 4wd is stopped,  but driving along the compressor has a rattle inside it like a tin can trying to escape, it runs no more than a engel, I have not tested it to see what amps it uses,   Ive had it in the back of my old 80 series for a few weeks and it gets hot in there but it kept the drinks icy cold and the freezer bit was frozen, How long it will last I have no Idea, Craig   
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted a comment.

FYI, I purchased a Waeco CFF45 from BCF at lunchtime today. They had one on display plus one in a box.
The bloke I spoke to said they'd been very popular (they had sold 8 the previous weekend). I took the one in the box.
I reckon had I waited until Saturday (tomorrow) I'd have missed out on the current stock.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
Ha, I got the email from bcf today, stopped by to mention it!