Author Topic: Cape road nearly open  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Cape road nearly open
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:27:30 AM »
Hi all, The road to Weipa could be open to 5ton and single lane by Easter, I will wait a few more weeks if I go up.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:29:30 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline rjo89

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Cape road nearly open
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
We're leaving Melbourne on 1/5 for 7 weeks, should hit the PDR by 8/5. Fingers crossed she's right to go by then!

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »
yep the Archer is dropping and should be cross able soon, they have started working on PDR, by the time you get there they should be grading and working on the road flat out, if I go up with my mate and two sons we mite go after voting or when I have heard the road is right to go

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:25:08 AM by Craig Tomkinson »

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
We are leaving cairns on the 20/5 so also watching closely. The Queensland live traffic page has regular updates on the road status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
The Cook Shire has a good page for road conditions on their webpage
Stay safe and play fair.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:24:32 AM »
With the amount of flooding the Cape has had especially some so late in the season, think the Tele Track will be even more interesting this season.

Also wonder on how much of the newly laid PDR from last season has been washed away?   

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »
Pdr partly open with 5t limit. Archer river still up. Check out " cape york adventures" page
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:12:55 PM by kizza1 »

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »
first 4wd from Weipa out today, and water over the at archer river is nearly gone just a dribble,

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:24:44 AM by Craig Tomkinson »

Offline rjo89

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
Hey Craig,

Got any more updates re: road openings?

Cheers

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 07:03:56 AM »
PDR Update 22/4:
Road Open with Caution due to Water over the Archer River Crossing.
Peninsula Developmental Road 4WD only, recommended High Clearance Vehicles due to Rough surface & boggy conditions.
Subject to a 5 tonne GVM limit
PLEASE DRIVE TO CONDITIONS
Stay safe and play fair.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 06:10:00 AM »
PDR Update 22/4:
Road Open with Caution due to Water over the Archer River Crossing.
Peninsula Developmental Road 4WD only, recommended High Clearance Vehicles due to Rough surface & boggy conditions.
Subject to a 5 tonne GVM limit
PLEASE DRIVE TO CONDITIONS

PLEASE DRIVE TO CONDITIONS.....But many choose to do 110kph, overtake in dust and run bends wide....wonder how many have prangs this year.. :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:39:19 AM »
PLEASE DRIVE TO CONDITIONS.....But many choose to do 110kph, overtake in dust and run bends wide....wonder how many have prangs this year.. :cheers:

I don't dissagree with you about speeding , but the road is 100kph rated . What really pisses me of are the people doing 40kph on a stretch of road that is in fair to good condition , and be safely driven at 80 to 100kph . These slow drivers are in many cases more dangerous than some who travel at the rated road speed .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »

I don't dissagree with you about speeding , but the road is 100kph rated . What really pisses me of are the people doing 40kph on a stretch of road that is in fair to good condition , and be safely driven at 80 to 100kph . These slow drivers are in many cases more dangerous than some who travel at the rated road speed .

Your right Duggie.  In many places the road is sign posted for 100kph.  However plenty of the numbnuts who travel don't slow for oncoming vehicles, drive at speed through dust, hoping they,ll be right and are generally just arseholes that aren't really wanted up there anyways.  Common sense and respect for others on the road , that is very busy in the tourist season, is all that's required. If the slow ones, who are probably enjoying the scenery and surroundings, pull to the left to let others pass then all good.  If a road is in "fair" condition then maybe 40kph is needed to keep mechanical things in good order. People need to chill out...its a holiday destination..not a bloody race!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 01:09:08 PM »

Common sense and respect for others on the road , that is very busy in the tourist season, is all that's required. If the slow ones, who are probably enjoying the scenery and surroundings, pull to the left to let others pass then all good.  If a road is in "fair" condition then maybe 40kph is needed to keep mechanical things in good order. People need to chill out...its a holiday destination..not a bloody race!

Again I am not dissagreeing , but more times than often , the slow ones are on CH40 and when asked if allright to come past , they ignor the request . But are very quick to call up and abuse you when you manage to get around them .

As for road in fair condition , if your vehicle is set up right , traveling at 80 to 100kph is smoother than at 40 .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »
I think this is the thinking that most annoys me, for some it is a holiday, but for those that live there it is not.
For them and others it is a main road, and it is marked at 100klm if you want to travel at forty maybe you should not be on the road or at least look in the mirror.

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
For those wanting an update, the Pascoe River on the Frenchmans track is currently at 2.5m.
Stay safe and play fair.
The following users thanked this post: kizza1, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
In a normal year when I go up Weipa in my old 1HZ non turbo 80 series loaded towing my 5m tinny loaded,With all my tires let down to 28 to 30psi,  I find 75 to 90ks on the strait road a great speed and through the dip country and corners l go a lot slower, But I always let faster traffic go as you can here them coming if you are on CH 40 or see the dust and there lights, I love the drive theses days as the road is just fantastic It takes me around 10 or 11hours from Julatten on the table land to Weipa, compared to the 80s, use to take me around 3 to 4 days to go from Mt Molloy to Weipa, driving daylight to dark, Craig

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:19:31 PM by Craig Tomkinson »

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 01:59:08 AM »
The "good old days" Craig

If we were the first vehicle into Iron Range airport after the wet in the mid sixties, a quick good trip was 4 days, 3 nights from Coen airport to Iron Range airport and often the same amount of time from Cairns to Coen.

Even when the track was dry, we would shovel at least a ton of sand or more out the Wenlock into the 6WD international to go from Moreton Telegraph Station to Coen Airport to pick up gear that Tootsie used bring up from Cairns, leave Moreton at sunup arrive at Coen airport by 8pm if lucky, load the truck up next day and return to Moreton on the 3rd day, Remembering that the OTT was the only track then! first 20km out of Moreton could take up to 3 hrs if badly washed out, the trucks were tippers, so all the trays were bolted through, down to the chassis rails with high tensile U Bolts otherwise they flexed so much the trays would fall off the trucks!

Last time I was there just for a break, Came from Chilli Beach to Hahn River roadhouse in daylight with leisurely stops at the Archer (memorial plaque to Tootsie there) Coen and Musgrave on the way, and a Victorian who camped at Hahn River near us overnight was complaining how bad the road was!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:12:24 AM by bkim »

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 06:27:18 AM »
....and a Victorian who camped at Hahn River near us overnight was complaining how bad the road was!

Those Victorians are pi55-weak, aren't they? ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:48:15 AM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
Thats sounds like you had wild old tracks in the 60s old fellow, the 80s the road I use to go up on would of been like bitumen road to when you worked up there then, The biggest trouble when I first went up was no one had heard of letting your tires down like I do today, I had 1982 diesel Hilux with 750 x 16s 10 ply steel trecks at 60psi loaded up with motor bike and gear, and later the same on my HJ47 tray back fully loaded with tucker and gear and towing an old army trailer loaded with gear, but I never got a flat tire in all the years travelling around up there, Craig     

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 01:21:57 AM »
Hi Craig,

Don't worry, we used to get the comment from the old timers about how easy we had it compared to the old days, in those old trucks, the internationals were imported specially from Canada, petrol powered about 4 MPG, top speed (if you could stand the noise) 75 kph, steering wheel over 800mm diameter, soon learnt how to hold the wheel in bulldust patches.

There was an old trucker in Coen and his offsider used a Mercedes 7 ton FWD truck with about a 7m tray, still had the merc motor but an AEC gearbox and the diff out of another pommy truck, must have had a gearing about a 1000 to one (or so it seemed), watched it fully loaded (only about 10 ton!) pull a fully loaded semi (35 ton) over the Bamboo Range without any effort after the semi did it's clutch.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
I caught a lift with the mail man from Portland Roads to iron range airport for a flight out in the 80’s. The drive was ok but the sights at the airport waiting for the plane were something else. And it was the hospital flight. I’d rather walk back next time haha.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 07:24:13 AM »
Thats sounds like you had wild old tracks in the 60s old fellow, the 80s the road I use to go up on would of been like bitumen road to when you worked up there then, The biggest trouble when I first went up was no one had heard of letting your tires down like I do today, I had 1982 diesel Hilux with 750 x 16s 10 ply steel trecks at 60psi loaded up with motor bike and gear, and later the same on my HJ47 tray back fully loaded with tucker and gear and towing an old army trailer loaded with gear, but I never got a flat tire in all the years travelling around up there, Craig     

Craig, when I was up around there in the late 70's, in my Government Toyota, the vehicle had Road Track Major tyres and the theory of the day was to increase the pressure in rough or rocky areas to stop the side walls from pinching. We would run around 55 psi in the gibbers too, which was extremely comfortable  ;D
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 01:05:59 PM »
Yep thats why we had the PSI up to, so side walls did not go, Great old days gents hey, Craig

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
Craig, when I was up around there in the late 70's, in my Government Toyota, the vehicle had Road Track Major tyres and the theory of the day was to increase the pressure in rough or rocky areas to stop the side walls from pinching. We would run around 55 psi in the gibbers too, which was extremely comfortable  ;D

That was in the days of bias ply tyres. Yes, you would increase pressure to help the tyres survive getting sidewall cuts. All changed when we went to Radial ply tyres. Now we drop pressure to survive getting sidewall cuts.

Dan.