Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 145943 times)

GeoffA, paceman and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Black174

• Swag User
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #850 on: September 20, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »
I expect the 375 as a percentage of electric car sold between 2010 and 2023 is just shy of zero percent.

But good point, will be curious to understand what the percentage of each category the 2942 represent.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #851 on: September 20, 2023, 12:39:39 PM »
Quote from: RebsWA
Why dont you massage those figures to make them stats meaningful. IE proportion of ev, trucks and cars, what caused the fires, how many ice vehicles just spontaneously self combusted, how many other assets were destroyed in each event etc
I agree with you, but probably in the too hard basket....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #852 on: September 20, 2023, 06:34:32 PM »
Rumours are rife in the UK at the moment that the planned 2030 ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be pushed back five years to 2035.

It was originally set at 2040, then brought forward 10 years.

I must admit that I will be relieved, if it actually happens, but not everybody is happy.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #853 on: September 29, 2023, 10:39:46 AM »
The EV industry has a very dark cloud hanging over its future-
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/uzbekistan-lightning-strike-killed-injured-tashken-b1110093.html

Not to mention they're backing up in new car showrooms as the top end of the market is satisfied and there's no more FOMO buyers-
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/australian-car-dealers-spruik-strong-electric-car-supply
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #854 on: September 29, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »
Rumours are rife in the UK at the moment that the planned 2030 ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be pushed back five years to 2035.

They're not rumours-
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/20/rishi-sunak-confirms-rollback-of-key-green-targets
Just facing up to the bleeding obvious with affordability-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/24099905/second-hand-ev-prices-falling-driver-lose-confidence/
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #856 on: October 02, 2023, 09:40:40 AM »
I read that yesterday.

With regard to the premiums, I can only think that they must have picked on a couple of extremes. I’m seeing more and more electric cars around (they have a green stripe on the number plates) and they can’t all be paying £5k a year. My neighbours have one and I would have heard about it if they were paying way over the odds.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #857 on: October 02, 2023, 09:54:27 AM »
From what I can gather, first insurance is organised with the finance through the dealership and gets a preferential rate, it’s only on renewal that the rates go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #858 on: October 02, 2023, 11:24:14 AM »
If this is actually true, Farkles....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #859 on: October 02, 2023, 03:36:03 PM »
ygtbfk me, right
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #860 on: October 02, 2023, 08:56:41 PM »
I read that yesterday.

With regard to the premiums, I can only think that they must have picked on a couple of extremes.
They probably are extremes in terms of young single male owners/high points collectors/etc with the higher risk of writeoff vis a vis an ICE prang. However even for Rating1 type owners the higher cost of repairs and writeoff risk can be incurred by comprehensive insurers covering the uninsured at fault when there's no prospect of extracting damages from them. Five thousand quid premium is 9500 smackeroonies in our money and that's out of the question for average folks.

There's no doubt in my mind if you want house and contents insurance in the future they'll be asking the hard question as in- Please describe all types of lithium batteries normally kept on the premises-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyY-tnohLiY
Insurance underwriters are getting mighty nervous and picky nowadays particularly with all those ambulance chasers around looking for a feed.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #861 on: October 03, 2023, 06:48:25 AM »
If this is actually true, Farkles....

Because he's lived & driven in Oz <5 years so = an under 25 y.o. driver ???

& I've heard the name Sunshine West (which probably isn't a good sign ???), but don't actually know anything about it - good or bad area ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #862 on: October 03, 2023, 09:40:24 AM »
Quote from: Fizzie
Because he's lived & driven in Oz <5 years so = an under 25 y.o. driver ???
I spent 2 weeks last mth in Brissy, every second car round Eagle Farm was electric or hybrid...
Every taxi bar 1 (this one was driven by a conspiracy theorist and I was scared - he was talking about links between whats going on these days and some leader of prison camps in WW2.) was driven by Dino Shafeek <30... they cant all be paying that much for insurance and taxi's would pay more than that!

& I've heard the name Sunshine West (which probably isn't a good sign ???), but don't actually know anything about it - good or bad area ???

https://redsuburbs.com.au/suburbs/sunshine-west/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #863 on: October 03, 2023, 04:52:30 PM »
Here's the real cruncher (and JD Power would have the figures) that a mass market EV will cost owners around $3000 Ozzie more a year to own than a mass market ICE car- 
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/mass-market-ev-ownership-costs-18-percent-more-than-gas-cars-report/ar-AA1hB2O9#image=1
So EV insurance rising at a greater rate than ICE insurance is compounding the problem for most with inflation biting everything.

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #864 on: October 03, 2023, 05:25:26 PM »
Five thousand quid premium is 9500 smackeroonies in our money and that's out of the question for average folks.

That was really the point I was making. £5k/$9.5k is out of the question for average folk, but I see plenty of average folk driving them up here.

There's no doubt in my mind if you want house and contents insurance in the future they'll be asking the hard question as in- Please describe all types of lithium batteries normally kept on the premises-

Houses with integral garages are likely to be seen as a higher risk.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #865 on: October 03, 2023, 07:52:45 PM »
Houses that are not insured are not uncommon, you hear about many after any natural disaster, I would also believe that the same thing will happen with EV insurance, with people only having compulsory insurance and counting on someone else’s insurance to cover them in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Black174

• Swag User
« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2023, 03:02:03 PM »
My renewal notice for a 2019 Tesla 3 Performance is $1,225 full comprehensive insurance.
45years
basement parking
Australian Citizen
Zero claim history (10+ years)
Insurance is with CBA

I struggled to get anyone to insure me when I bought the Tesla since it was new and they had no data on electric cars in Australia.
CBA was the only one willing to give me a quote in 2019.
Also, if you have the Performance version then you need to be older than 30, otherwise CBA could not provide a quote.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #867 on: October 04, 2023, 04:41:48 PM »
It won’t be long before you are not allowed to park them in basements or charge them in attached garage’s
As for lithium mining🤦???,and they make a huge fuss over blood diamonds
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #868 on: October 06, 2023, 04:45:00 PM »
It won’t be long before you are not allowed to park them in basements or charge them in attached garage’s

OK Nostradamus-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/electric-car-charger-ban-recommended-by-owners-corporation-conglomerate/ar-AA1hLSCP
Ball's in your court climate changers?

Offline Black174

• Swag User
« Reply #869 on: October 06, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »
Doubt if there are any climate changers on this forum.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #870 on: October 06, 2023, 11:36:18 PM »
Yes a growing problem for the enthusiastic Teals Greens and Minister Bowen and Co to deal with. Bottom line is the EV fan club can't let the problem drift along to become a Grenfell Towers type disaster but where's the solution for them?

I see the smart money has been cashing out and taking profits for some time-
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-elon-musk-berkshire-hathaway-sells-byd-stock-electric-2023-5
I don't believe your professed explanation for that Warren particularly as Tesla have even adopted BYD's LifePo blade battery for greater safety-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGESKhtZD0

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #871 on: October 07, 2023, 12:06:48 AM »
'I was kidnapped by my runaway electric car'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67005620

It was probably the Chinese testing out their embedded sabotage software.

I had something similar when the carb froze up on my old Morris Marina.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 12:11:19 AM by DandyD »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #872 on: October 07, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »
'I was kidnapped by my runaway electric car'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67005620

It was probably the Chinese testing out their embedded sabotage software.

I had something similar when the carb froze up on my old Morris Marina.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #873 on: October 11, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »
Insurance premiums/refusal will present the greatest threat to EV adoption-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets/outdoor-school-camps-at-risk-as-insurance-providers-deny-coverage-to-venues/ar-AA1hZVe1

It's not that lithium battery EVs are any more likely to catch fire than ICE cars it's just that for whatever the cause they present a catastrophic outcome when massed together as we've witnessed with the Felicity Ace and Fremantle highway RoRo car carriers. Insurers will work it out long before our climate changing elites with Strata Corps, carparks, mass venues, etc. Sell Tesla, BYD, etc and buy Toyota with world's best hybrids using NiMh modest batteries is my educated guess.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #874 on: October 11, 2023, 07:56:31 PM »
Well Toyota San certainly ain't stuffing them into Oz guys-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyIZtdrPR8