Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 306940 times)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #1325 on: September 06, 2020, 11:04:58 AM »

So your critisizing the premier for not shutting down island borders? Yet pissed off with border controls. Qld is going great guns with the current virus. Our case numbers are no where near the 2 southern states and community spread is under control.  Recent polls show great majority of Queenslanders are happy with the border protection. Isnt that the job of a state premier ..to look after their state first?  I can understand your frustration but you are just one in many million who is frustrated.  Unfortunately this virus is no where near being under control. Check out how the Spanish Flu was handled and the devastating effect it had when people relaxed their attitude to it. I have kids and grandkids in Melbourne and country Victoria . One of them would never survive the virus, because of his medical condition.   Qld health is doing a great job and you can rest assured that the islands will receive prompt attention to stop any outbreak.  I,d rather be in Qld than NSW or Vic while the virus is still present.

Here is an interesting article on just how important it is to not be in a rush to "get back to normal"..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-06/victoria-coronavirus-covid-19-lockdown-restrictions-modelling/12633906

The below article captures nicely the arrogance of the Qld Premier.

Tom Marland - food for thought and thought for food
2 September at 05:36 ·
“Only for our people”
I’m a proud Queenslander.
But I am, and always will be, an even prouder Australian.
In 1900, when Sir Henry Parks drafted the rabble of the Australian states together as one Federation - it was the birth of our great country.
Parkes dreamed of a nation united in common purpose, values and shared gain.
In 1915, when young Australians sailed off to Gallipoli and died in foreign trenches they sacrificed under a common flag.
In 1939, when we fought on foreign shores and defended our own island nation against foreign oppressors we did so as Australians - not for our post codes.
I love barracking for Queensland in the state of origin just the same as I barracked for Ricky Ponting scoring a hundred, Ian Thorpe winning gold, Shane Warne turning them square, Lleyton Hewitt fist pumping at the Australian Open, Daniel Ricciardo in the formula one or Des Abbott or Nova Peris in the hockey.
It’s fine to be parochial for your home state but we are all still one people living in a country girt by sea.
No matter what your politics, you can only be ashamed of our Queensland Premier in her handling of the border lock outs in Queensland.
'People living in NSW they have NSW hospitals. In Queensland we have Queensland hospitals for our people,' she said.
We have people from NSW literally dieing because they can’t get access to the closest hospitals which happens to be separated by a line drawn 150 years ago.
We have parents in NSW who can’t bring their kids home from boarding school because the closest schools are in Queensland.
We had, up until a week ago, farmers who couldn't access stock because of a border that has no relevance to their communities.
We have family and businesses separated - not because of the risk of Covid - but because some moron thinks a border is more important than the risk itself.
Victoria has been hard hit by Covid. More accurately Melbourne. There has very few cases let alone deaths outside of the Melbourne metropolis. Despite this, country Victoria is in a draconian lock down that serves little purpose or makes little sense.
NSW or more accurately Sydney has a few clusters. But there has been hardly a case let alone a death north of Newcastle or west of Penrith.
And while our Queensland premier is spruiking bread and circuses over landing the AFL grand final her state and her country weeps.
Our Queensland economy was a basket case prior to Covid and is only now being propped up by Federal Government support - funded by all Australian tax payers.
A true Australian or a politician with half a brain or heart would be offering support to their neighbours while they are suffering - not kicking sand in their eyes for their own political gain.
Queensland has had 1000 Covid cases and 6 deaths. Compare this to Victoria with 20,000 cases and 576 deaths or NSW with 4000 cases and 50 deaths.
It would make sense that those who are outside of Covid hotspots in those states would be allowed entry to Queensland for medical assistance rather than overload an already overloaded system in their own states defined by imaginary lines.
The sad irony is that all state hospitals are funded by our federal government.
The recalcitrance to reason by our Premier is bad enough. But the constant self-interested gloating is both sad and embarrassing.
Actually it’s shameful.
Here would be a real sign of leadership - instead of gloating about “winning” a AFL grand final in Brisbane by default for a sport very few Queenslanders follow yet alone care about - offer all of those tickets and free flights to country Victorians who are outside of the Covid hotspots who live and love and breath AFL.
How about open the borders to kids and parents who live in NSW yet school them in Queensland but pose zero risk to the spread of Covid.
How about offer all of the free beds that are currently in our hospitals set aside for a Covid spike that was never going to happen - to people who need our help, who are outside Covid hotspots but are just unfortunate to live south of our border.
Covid has redefined the world we live in.
Let’s just hope that the silver living is that we will also redefine the Governments we elect to govern us and those imaginary lines drawn 150 years ago.
We are in this together - as one country, as one people.
Let’s never allow lines in the sand to define us again.
In the great words of Sir Henry Parkes:
“In one hand I have a dream, and in the other I have an obstacle. Tell me, which one grabs your attention?”
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1326 on: September 06, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »
As expected for VIC swaggers, pretty much the same rules as now until 28/9. Things then get a little better like the stupid 5km rule gone, but not a lot of change until 26 October. So Dan's basically added another 6 weeks of stage 4...
https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-roadmap-metro-melbourne
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1327 on: September 06, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
Quote from: D4D
As expected for VIC swaggers, pretty much the same rules as now until 28/9. Things then get a little better like the stupid 5km rule gone, but not a lot of change until 26 October. So Dan's basically added another 6 weeks of stage 4.

think we all knew it would be extended... no surprises there, just the length ... that new end date would be just in time for the "important horse races" wouldnt it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #1328 on: September 06, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »
As expected for VIC swaggers, pretty much the same rules as now until 28/9. Things then get a little better like the stupid 5km rule gone, but not a lot of change until 26 October. So Dan's basically added another 6 weeks of stage 4...
https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-roadmap-metro-melbourne

"Things then get a little better like the stupid 5km rule gone" not until the 26/10
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1329 on: September 06, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
"Things then get a little better like the stupid 5km rule gone" not until the 26/10

Read step 2 in the link I posted above again, 28/9 5km rule gone

Changes from 'Stay within 5km of your home except for permitted reasons such as work or education if these can not be done at home'

To 'Only leave home for 4 reasons: school or work (if these can not be done from home), care or caregiving, to purchase essentials, exercise'

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #1330 on: September 06, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Read step 2 in the link I posted above again, 28/9 5km rule gone

Changes from 'Stay within 5km of your home except for permitted reasons such as work or education if these can not be done at home'

To 'Only leave home for 4 reasons: school or work (if these can not be done from home), care or caregiving, to purchase essentials, exercise'

Step 1 States "Stay within 5km of your home except for permitted reasons such as work or education if these can not be done at home" Care giving you can
travel furhter than 5K now, I would not try the excersize one on the police, seen them booking plenty down the beach trying that one on.

Step 2 doesn't mention the 5K rule but from nine msn

"When will the 5km travel restriction end?
October 26: no restrictions on reasons or distance travelled."

Dan in his presentation made no mention of it in the September part, he stated the distance rule for others than those with
a permitted reasons goes in October.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:13:40 PM by HKB Electronics »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1331 on: September 06, 2020, 04:30:02 PM »
Step 2 doesn't mention the 5K rule but from nine msn

"When will the 5km travel restriction end?
October 26: no restrictions on reasons or distance travelled."

I'll take the advice from the VIC gov website before a media outlet. I only need to do 1 trip outside my 5km radius to pickup a bike, I'll be printing out that site and taking it with me on the 28th just in case.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1332 on: September 06, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »
Ok, seen the Victorian opposition leader Michael O'Brien, doing his political best attacking what Dan has come out and said about the "roadmap". Fine, I would like him to come out and tell us all what he and his party has a roadmap to get out of this. They would have information needed,  they have all the same ministers. How about they go one better and let us all know if they have the answer, Publish, release what their maps is. Hanging s**t on the other side on a health problem like this is not on. Come on Michael, give us the other option of getting us out of this. Sure both sides of the fence,  and the ones sitting on top of the fence would like to know. After all Melways publish road maps, doesn't stop Gregories from giving us thier version.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:45:54 PM by corndog »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1333 on: September 06, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
Ok, seen the Victorian opposition leader Michael O'Brien, doing his political best attacking what Dan has come out and said about the "roadmap". Fine, I would like him to come out and tell us all what he and his party has a roadmap to get out of this. They would have information needed,  they have all the same ministers. How about they go one better and let us all know if they have the answer, Publish, release what their maps is. Hanging s**t on the other side on a health problem like this is not on. Come on Michael, give us the other option of getting us out of this. Sure both sides of the fence,  and the ones sitting on top of 5he fence would like to know. After all Melways publish road maps, doesn't stop Gregories from giving us thier version.

The focus of the plan is too skewed to lockdown, as well as the health concerns Dan needs to think of the business concerns. Regardless of what the other side of government is saying Dan has no plan for business, this should have been front and centre today. His Union mates who voted him in are asking for the same thing, a business recovery plan. It is going to take a long long time, if ever, to get the Victorian economy back to any form of growth. The long term business and social impact is going to be huge. Victoria will be a business backwater. Multinational companies and entrepreneurs/start up businesses will be too scared to invest and move their HQs interstate. No investment = no new jobs. Immigration will dry up, keep in mind it has been immigration that has been driving our boom, construction/services/education industries all shrinking = less existing jobs. Melbourne once was the most liveable city, not any more.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:47:21 PM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1334 on: September 06, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
So what is Michael O'Brien and the Liberal parties plan. That is all I'm asking and the answer from them is all I want. They have a better way, tell us that way.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1335 on: September 06, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »
So what is Michael O'Brien and the Liberal parties plan. That is all I'm asking and the answer from them is all I want. They have a better way, tell us that way.

Of course he doesn't have a plan, he's not in government and is trying to win political points. He is asking a valid question and as per my previous post it needs an answer and quickly.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1336 on: September 06, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Well there you go. They have no plan, it's all about political point scoring, ask questions to which they have no answer to themselves, hang s**t on the answers given by the enemy.  Going by that I'd be totally lost, no idea of where I was, no idea on which way to turn, no idea in which way to go, all from a party that has no recourse on anything that happens as they are not in government.
Now that is a roadmap to follow.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1337 on: September 06, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Well there you go. They have no plan, it's all about political point scoring, ask questions to which they have no answer to themselves, hang s**t on the answers given by the enemy.  Going by that I'd be totally lost, no idea of where I was, no idea on which way to turn, no idea in which way to go, all from a party that has no recourse on anything that happens as they are not in government.
Now that is a roadmap to follow.

Welcome to politics. As I said in my earlier post, if you can put your political alliance aside, he is asking a valid question and it needs an answer and quickly.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1338 on: September 06, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »
Quote from: D4D
Welcome to politics. As I said in my earlier post, if you can put your political alliance aside, he is asking a valid question and it needs an answer and quickly.
While I agree, Dan opened th gates early last time and see where we are.. cant blame him for being gun shy.

To me I think he hopes it will fix itself. Borrowing more and more isnt the answer.

Over all I think hes done a pretty decent job of all this since it aint happened in our lifetime and I dont vote so dont give a Shit who is in.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1339 on: September 06, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
While I agree, Dan opened th gates early last time and see where we are.. cant blame him for being gun shy.

The sub-optimal management of the returned traveller hotel quarantine process is why we are where we are today.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #1340 on: September 06, 2020, 06:38:11 PM »
The sub-optimal management of the returned traveller hotel quarantine process is why we are where we are today.

Correct...
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1341 on: September 06, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
Ok, seen the Victorian opposition leader Michael O'Brien, doing his political best attacking what Dan has come out and said about the "roadmap". Fine, I would like him to come out and tell us all what he and his party has a roadmap to get out of this. They would have information needed,  they have all the same ministers. How about they go one better and let us all know if they have the answer, Publish, release what their maps is. Hanging s**t on the other side on a health problem like this is not on. Come on Michael, give us the other option of getting us out of this. Sure both sides of the fence,  and the ones sitting on top of the fence would like to know. After all Melways publish road maps, doesn't stop Gregories from giving us thier version.

Not sure the Vic Opposition or any Opposition Government, would have the information needed.   When you consider the National Cabinet only consists of the Prime Minister and all State Premiers and Territory Chief Ministers.   No Opposition members in attendance.   How many of the decisions made by Premiers of Chief Ministers have been made without State/Territory Governments sitting to discuss anything.   That is one of the complaints about Covid is the lack of Parliament sitting days.  While playing Politics I doubt Premiers/Chief Ministers would sharing much at all with their Oppositions.   

Similar to the Federal Government giving it's expert Health advice on what the State/Territories should be doing but the State/Territory Premiers/Chief Ministers just go off and do their own thing regardless of what the Federal Government has advised.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #1342 on: September 06, 2020, 07:14:24 PM »

This is the main problem and his team let Victoria down big time which has also overflowed to other states, luckily being contained compared to Victoria. I am not sure of the answer, and any party is not as well. Its a non win situation which ever way you turn and until someone comes up with some sort of vaccine we are all going to lead a difficult and controoled life.

I and almost all Victorians are more than over the crap we are dealing with but I am unsure what the answer is. Its going to be a hard road to the end and a very long and slow recovery.

For those in Vic, keep going, keep safe and talk to anyone when it gets hard.

GG
The following users thanked this post: D4D, GeoffA

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1343 on: September 06, 2020, 07:45:29 PM »
Quote from: GGV8Cruza
Its a non win situation which ever way you turn
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1344 on: September 06, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
I can't imagine what other people are going through, but it's getting pretty tough in our household.

Our 11 year old autistic grandson came to live with us in January for a more settled lifestyle, he can facetime 2 other kids

Our daughter had her ivf baby11 weeks ago, she is suffering post natal depression, no friends can visit her to see her baby, nor can she go out.

I suffer severe depression from things I saw 40 years ago, and I/we never know when that might kick in, things can get very ugly when it does.

My wife is hanging on by her fingernails, doing homeschooling for the grandson, trying to help the daughter, and all the while watching to see if I fall in a heap

No this isn't a call for help, we will get through this, as "Slim Dusty's" song says, "time heals all wounds, but leaves a scar" but I am very angry about the incompetence  that allowed this to happen and the "captain of the ship" is doing his damndest to blame other people
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1345 on: September 06, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
Too true I wish they would just get on with it and admit that they cocked it up then get on with trying to get stuff back to some sort of normal pretty much every press conference is the same with old mate saying we don’t know how long this is going to take but we are with you, bullShit they are with us, this government is useless. watching friends businesses take a hiding for no fault of their own is heartbreaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1346 on: September 06, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »
I can't imagine what other people are going through, but it's getting pretty tough in our household.

Our 11 year old autistic grandson came to live with us in January for a more settled lifestyle, he can facetime 2 other kids

Our daughter had her ivf baby11 weeks ago, she is suffering post natal depression, no friends can visit her to see her baby, nor can she go out.

I suffer severe depression from things I saw 40 years ago, and I/we never know when that might kick in, things can get very ugly when it does.

My wife is hanging on by her fingernails, doing homeschooling for the grandson, trying to help the daughter, and all the while watching to see if I fall in a heap

No this isn't a call for help, we will get through this, as "Slim Dusty's" song says, "time heals all wounds, but leaves a scar" but I am very angry about the incompetence  that allowed this to happen and the "captain of the ship" is doing his damndest to blame other people

Exactly why blanket fixes never work, each family/household is different, with different needs and wants.   Take care mate.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #1347 on: September 07, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »

Similar to the Federal Government giving it's expert Health advice on what the State/Territories should be doing but the State/Territory Premiers/Chief Ministers just go off and do their own thing regardless of what the Federal Government has advised.   

I think you will find the states also have their own expert medical advice relating to their states which may differ from what the federal advice is, it doesn't necessarily follow the federal experts are automatically right

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #1348 on: September 07, 2020, 12:24:56 AM »
The below article captures nicely the arrogance of the Qld Premier

You are completely entitled to your opinion, but I can't say I have met too many people around QLD who share it, I think a few other states also threw their hat in the ring for the AFL final
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:28:28 AM by bkim »

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #1349 on: September 07, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
"Sub-optimal".......that's a nice way of putting it
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic