Author Topic: G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.  (Read 253952 times)

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
Re: G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.
« Reply #275 on: October 07, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »
Tourer77:

Reckon that's a good idea? Its something we're also considering and perhaps even leaning towards at this stage. In terms of ease of use - may even be easier than a switch on the shower head. If you've got the head on a holder it would be easier to twist a valve in the hose rather than having to flick one on the shower head without moving it out of position?

Instant & never ending hot water. Anywhere.

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #276 on: October 08, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »
Bart

Further thought.

Currently the shower rose clicks round to different positions for "fine, medium & hard" spray (I know that's not exact but you get the idea  :D).

How about modifying that slightly to be: Off, fine, medium, hard, off? Take the switch out of the handset completely & control everything from the "dial" on the rose - easy to twist for little hands but positive click positions so it doesn't just flop around.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »
Yup, we could look at that too. In fact we may have thought about it already - only concern may be that with soapy hands it'll be hard to grip hard enough to twist.

www.joolca.com.au

Offline oompa01

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #278 on: October 29, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »
Hi all.. sorry struggling to search this thread but I think I have an issue with the solenoid not opening.  No clunk and the ingition firing but no flame.  What are the suggestions?

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #279 on: October 29, 2016, 05:44:05 PM »
Battery power??
Or lack of ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline oompa01

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #280 on: October 29, 2016, 06:32:44 PM »
Battery power??
Or lack of ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ill give it a crack in the morning but new batteries and I can hear the ignition just no gas
The following users thanked this post: LetMeOutaHere

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »
@ oompa01

Can you please send me a PM with your contact number and I'll either buzz you myself or get one of my tech. support guys to give you a call to go over some troubleshoot steps :)!

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Monyx

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »
@ Bart
have pm'd for price on hottap outing + bag.
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #283 on: November 25, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
Thanks Mark - got it :)!

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
I wanted to get the creek screen filter accessory, but the Boss wouldn't let me spend $70 on a 'bloody filter'  :-[

While at the big green shed this weekend I found a good substitute that got her approval lol

I found a Pope Bubbler watering head for under $10 -
http://www.popeproducts.com.au/product/bubbler

This is filled with holes, and also has a fine metal mesh inside - plug it in and it works fine in reverse! The mesh keeps the floating gunk off, works fantastic. With a bit of the missus old stocking over it, should filter pretty finely too!

Now to just mount it through a bit of foam as a floating platform and let it float out into the river  :cheers: :cheers:
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)
The following users thanked this post: JeanetteT

KingBilly

« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
Good find, is it heavy enough to stay on the bottom of a bucket or creek?  Or will it float?

KB

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
Good find, is it heavy enough to stay on the bottom of a bucket or creek?  Or will it float?

KB

It is incredibly light, but with the hose it was heavy enough to stay in the bucket I tried it with. That why I want to mount it through something - make sure it stays vertical then in the river/creek

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
Nice find! Pretty cool idea with the stocking and foam - I love DIY! Keep us posted how it goes :) If they have a bigger one of them maybe look into one (using your similar set up) as the surface area might be a bit restrictive on amount of water it will suck through?

In saying this, I could definitely be wrong - and probably am if you've already tested her out ;)

Actually very interested to see how this set up fares - keep us all updated :)

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
Nice find! Pretty cool idea with the stocking and foam - I love DIY! Keep us posted how it goes :) If they have a bigger one of them maybe look into one (using your similar set up) as the surface area might be a bit restrictive on amount of water it will suck through?

I had actually thought of that Bart - I did before and after testing and it didn't seem to impede the flow at all. But, if I go the stocking route I might just drill a few more holes in the dome top, as its not going to be used as a sprinkler, which will give more input area  ;D

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Before drilling the holes have a close look. There might not be any filter behind your holes.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »
Ozsnowman....that's got to be the best pic of a bloody hose I've ever seen...cool  :cheers:

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
Before drilling the holes have a close look. There might not be any filter behind your holes.

Yeah I don't think there is, which is why I'll only do it if I go ahead and put some stocking over it to further filter it :)

Ozsnowman....that's got to be the best pic of a bloody hose I've ever seen...cool  :cheers:

LOL would love to claim credit, but I just nicked it off the official website hehe
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
I had actually thought of that Bart - I did before and after testing and it didn't seem to impede the flow at all. But, if I go the stocking route I might just drill a few more holes in the dome top, as its not going to be used as a sprinkler, which will give more input area  ;D

Very smart to do before and after testing and come to a good conclusion. Seems like this is a win already!

Good point by corndog, definitely want to have some filter behind the holes.

Yeah I don't think there is, which is why I'll only do it if I go ahead and put some stocking over it to further filter it :)

This might be a bit sneaky, but if you could open the cap off the filter, do you think you could find and fit a fine mesh screen twirled into the inside? While you're there, you could also put a weight in to help submerge (if it would fit and if you did want to take this route - not really sure how much room you got in there). Otherwise, I'm sure you know what you're doing - thought I would drop a couple suggestions while we're all here :)

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #293 on: January 19, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
This might be a bit sneaky, but if you could open the cap off the filter, do you think you could find and fit a fine mesh screen twirled into the inside? While you're there, you could also put a weight in to help submerge (if it would fit and if you did want to take this route - not really sure how much room you got in there). Otherwise, I'm sure you know what you're doing - thought I would drop a couple suggestions while we're all here :)
Damn good idea, thanks Bart!  :cheers:

If I cant get in to it, I'll pop some glue onto some sinkers and drop them in the hose connector end :)
The following users thanked this post: BennoA

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Try for mesh and sinkers together, as opposed to no mesh and sinkers as with no mesh you'll get larger debris clogging things up (when on bed of creek/ river/ etc.). Whereas, with no mesh and floating I think you'll come across less larger debris.

Keep us posted :)

www.joolca.com.au
The following users thanked this post: Ozsnowman

Offline SteveSA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #295 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:52 PM »
G'day Bart,

I've been following this thread for months and I'm impressed by the user reviews of your product and your commitment to the service and advice you've provided over an extended period of time. Kudos to you!

My rig is a Jayco Swan and I intend to plumb a HotTap to the sink, the existing external shower and the tap on the draw bar using the onboard 9kg gas cylinder and the water supplied from the water tanks and from the mains water circuit. Straight forward huh?

Water supply from the mains circuit takes care of itself but it's the supply from the water tanks that has me a bit stumped. My intention is to tap into the water line on the outlet side of the onboard Shurflo pump which is rated at 10L/min. Given the HotTap maxes out at 6L/min I guess it should be sufficient to allow cold and hot to flow at the same time. Any thoughts?

Can you also PM me a price for the Outting, Jacket, Screen Filter and an additional Gasknect (for the BBQ) please?

Regards,
Steve
2008 Prado D4D GXL - 2016 Jayco Swan OB
(with a few tricks)

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
Hey Steve, apologies for the delay! Also, thank you for the kind words :)

Also, firstly, did you mean you want to plumb the HOTTAP to each: the sink, the external shower and the external tap on the draw bar?

This is an interesting question, made even more interesting with the type of tap you have.

So, water flow wise: 10LPM - 6LPM = 4LPM. So, if you are maxing out your HOTTAP, you'll get a max of 4LPM to the cold side of things. Only thing to note here is; if you have a high flow tap (let's say 15LPM or so) then your cold line will have less resistance (as opposed to your HOTTAP hot line) and may result in more water flowing through. Which means less water for your HOTTAP, which means potentially tricking the HOTTAP to shutting off as it isn't getting enough flow.

I know that you can get lower flow taps which should work not too bad with the set up. Something like a 10LPM should work as that is the max your pump can give out anyway.

If you have a mixer tap, these get a bit tricky too (with flow and stuff I mentioned above). Seeing as you are interested in the HOTTAP OUTNG, would it be possible for you to tap in the included pump (and then have two pumps, one for hot and one for cold)? Otherwise, if you have a low flow tap I think you would be ok with your Shurflo.

Is this the type of information you were after? Let me know what you think about what I said?

Let us know about if you want to plumb this to all three things - this would add another interesting spin :)

BTW, anyone with any additional information or know how, please drop a hand :) I could be incorrect in some of what I said and I am happy to learn too!

Will PM now :)

www.joolca.com.au

Offline SteveSA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #297 on: January 24, 2017, 10:09:45 PM »
Hi Bart,

Thanks for the info. Yes that is correct - the sink (mixer tap), the external shower and to a second external tap on the draw bar.

Originally I had thought to use the existing external tap but after looking at it more closely I've concluded it's way too complicated. Much easier to run a second, dedicated tap.

Currently, my sink has a cold water only tap and the hand siphon pump type tap. I'll be removing the siphon tap and use the existing hole to install the mixer tap. I'll leave the existing cold water tap and install a filter system on that line for drinking water.

The external shower has two cold water lines running to it - one each to the cold and the hot. I can re-route the one attached to the hot water to the new mixer tap (cold side).

The hot water line from the HotTap (installed in the unused jerry can holder on the drawbar) will have a branch just after the outlet to the new external hot water tap and the main line will run back through the kitchen floor. That will then split to the now vacant external shower hot inlet and the mixer tap hot inlet.

Your thoughts on the flow rate of the mixer tap is something I hadn't thought about and the potential to cut off flow to the HotTap bears thinking about. I'm not sure what the mixer's flow rate is but I'm confident it isn't a high flow tap. It will be easy enough to test anyway. Besides, even if it is around 15LPM I'm thinking I could run the full 6LPM (ie Hot only) with just a nudge to the cold side and that should allow for enough control. A case of trial and error.

I think to start with I'll hook it up using just the Shurflo pump. I'd rather not have to introduce a second pump if I can avoid it. It can definitely be done though. I'd have to run two supply lines to the HotTap - one from the mains circuit (with a strategically placed one-way valve) and a second from the line that runs between the tanks and the Shurflo pump. Tapping into that line would be easy enough but I'm not sure if the Shurflo would object to the reverse flow from its inlet side... anyway something to think about if it comes to that.

I have a couple of questions about water ingress too... my intention is to travel with the unit wrapped in its jacket. Will this be sufficient protection from rain/spray off the road/tug or is there any advice you can offer?
Also, in the event of a water crossing, are there any sensitive bits that are particularly venerable (ie, battery compartment, ignition electrics)?
FYI the lowest point of the installed unit will be a little above the floor level of the Swan/Jayco. Anyone with a Swan knows not to do a water crossing so deep that the floor would get wet so I'm not talking about submerging the HotTap - more about worse case scenario, incidental water splashing against the bottom of it.

And finally, there is nothing in my Inbox so unless I'm looking in the wrong spot, I didn't receive your PM. Could you send it again please?

Regards,
Steve
(with a few tricks)

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
Hey Steve,

Firstly - apologies for the delay in response, we ended up taking Friday off as well to have a 'long weekend' off!

It seems like you have your work cut out for you. A lot of custom stuff with the water side of things and I like how well thought out this is. Will you be using flexible hosing or rigid piping for the water lines? Aside from this, it seems like you have a very well thought out idea on how things are going to be. I like it!

Yes, very good point. Trial and error will quickly find the sweet spot and you'll be able to use the Shurflo on its own.

Now, to give you a bit of insight into unit operation (for anyone reading with a similar HWS this holds true too):

The HOTTAP flow rate is between 4LPM to 6LPM (will be a bit of deviation here and there as with anything). So, if I'm supplying 4LPM of water to my HOTTAP (or other portable water heater) then I'll be able to happily use it on the low flow setting, pushing up to about the mid flow setting. Once I go higher my unit will cut out as it is being starved. It is expecting a higher flow and it isn't getting it. This is why our supplied pump meets the max flow of the unit. The HOTTAP (and other portable systems) have a flow regulator on the water inlet - reducing anything above 6LPM down to a maximum of 6LPM (so mains won't give you a 'fuller' shower over a 18LPM pump over a 6LPM pump).

So, this is where the sweet spot comes into play. If you use the 6LPM setting, you won't want to drop too much below that supply flow otherwise the HOTTAP will cut out. Having an extra 4LPM (or so) to play with means that this should actually be possible. I always give a word of caution beforehand so that there is always room for recovery. Though, it seems like you know what's up!

The Jacket is awesome for general protection. From rocks getting flicked up to rain, it is actually very decent at what it does. I don't doubt that we have had people run the Jacket through all sorts and we actually haven't had anyone come back and say the Jacket didn't do what they needed - I'm sure this gives an idea of what to expect.

Now, in terms of full protection - I would make a sealed cover/ case for it. A lady once told me that the 'notorious' red dust even crept up into the floor of her camper. So, the Jacket (having an opening in the back to slide of the unit) won't keep this out. At the same time, it won't keep it 100% water proof so you wouldn't want to get the HOTTAP dipped in too much water. Though, some water splashing shouldn't be too much of an issue as the bottom panel is sealed with a water proof zipper. Have a look on our site for some of the images of how it wraps around - specifically the back opening. I'm sure you will be able to gauge how much cover this would provide for what you are thinking.

The battery box is on the bottom RH corner of the unit, main control board on the bottom LH of the unit, and electrical wiring is in between. So, pretty much all electrics are on the bottom of the unit. We have added some form of water resistance to the CB, but it is not completely water proof. We actually have stock of spare parts for everything in the HOTTAP so if anything does fluff up, we got you covered. A splash of water here or there should be OK, but a splash is relative. My a lot could be your little, and vice versa. Haha! I'm sure everything will be ok though. Haven't had anyone give us a call for a submerged unit yet.

Hrm, weird. Can you PM me first and that way I'll PM you back. I might honestly not know what I am doing in terms of messaging people initially - haha!

www.joolca.com.au

Offline SteveSA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
G'day Bart,

PM sent.

As always, thanks for the info. I'll be using semi-rigid 12mm pipe into John Guest fittings.

Good to hear re submerging issues. I doubt anything I put it through hasn't already been done.

Cheers,
Steve
(with a few tricks)