Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1730104 times)

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Finished, well almost, converting my mates rear bar to a tandem wheel carrier. Karmar swinger on the left and old tjm on the right.. Looks ok, looks strong enough, but just doesnt look even enough.. I think the right hand arm has the wheel carrier too much in the centre, he wont care.. Currently on holiday.
But i like things to be even, so might have to do some more cutting and pasting and move the wheel holder over..

Picked the rear bar up second hand. It had one wheel swing with it.

I then got his single kaymar bar, cut the arm in half, turn it around and welded it back together. As the bend went the wrong way.
I then cut off the end.
Cut off the axle hub off the upright section that bolts to the old bumper bar.

Welded the axle hub onto the end of the swing arm, as the old rear bar has the axle hubs going downward, which is very annoying.
Fitted it all, repainted the rear bar when i scratched it and painted his towbar..

2 days work stripping it down and refitting..

Another days work a couple of weeks ago preparing the bar and other swing arm ready..

Still got a day or 2 work on the rest of his 80.. Gotta do some mods and maintenance and remove some more window tinting..

Tapa talk is annoying. 
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #551 on: July 21, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
Finished, well almost, converting my mates rear bar to a tandem wheel carrier. Karmar swinger on the left and old tjm on the right.. Looks ok, looks strong enough, but just doesnt look even enough.. I think the right hand arm has the wheel carrier too much in the centre, he wont care.. Currently on holiday.
But i like things to be even, so might have to do some more cutting and pasting and move the wheel holder over..

Picked the rear bar up second hand. It had one wheel swing with it.

I then got his single kaymar bar, cut the arm in half, turn it around and welded it back together. As the bend went the wrong way.
I then cut off the end.
Cut off the axle hub off the upright section that bolts to the old bumper bar.

Welded the axle hub onto the end of the swing arm, as the old rear bar has the axle hubs going downward, which is very annoying.
Fitted it all, repainted the rear bar when i scratched it and painted his towbar..

2 days work stripping it down and refitting..

Another days work a couple of weeks ago preparing the bar and other swing arm ready..

Still got a day or 2 work on the rest of his 80.. Gotta do some mods and maintenance and remove some more window tinting..

Tapa talk is annoying.
Either you are a really good bloke or your mate has a big load of dirt on you and is using is as blackmail. >:D
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D l got $$ on the Dirt File    >:D      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #553 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
Been friends for 35 year, i have been asking him for years to let me help you get ya trailer and 80s up to scratch.
We have recently just bought the rear bar second hand.

I talked him into buying 80s cruisers instead of what ever crap he was going to buy.

He is a very kind hearted person and has helped many many other ppl, so its my way of helping him.

And he will give me either some fire wood or the trees to create fire wood from, as he lives on a bush block.

He is also offwork due to illness

Its kind of fun working on 4bys and trailers, i have enjoyed being creative in adapting the swing arm etc. i have ran out of jobs or ideas around my place and have a break with my trailer builds so i had the time, tools, workshop and the skills to get all this done, so why not do it.. Hey..
If u bring ur rig up, wait 35 years, i too might fix it for you..

Tapa talk is annoying. 

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #554 on: July 21, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
I've been carting this light around for years , always saying I'll put it on as a reversing light . So hit it with a wire wheel today to get some of the coal dust ect out of the brass casting .It's coming up a treat .. So with the new tray on with an old light .

cheers

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #555 on: July 21, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »
Finally Napanangka allowed me into my tools to do something, just cut a few bits of wood with a hand saw to prove I could do it.  I guess I am going to have to wait a while yet before I am ready for that kind of thing, but at least I tried.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Trex_s4m1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • need more toys! :D
« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
Take it slow mate. Good you are getting back into it.
I started making a ozpig style thing out of my broken air compressor. Pics to follow soon

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #557 on: July 21, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »
Well I'm at it with my bar again

Sent from the machine that goes..... Bing!

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #558 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »
Removed the tint on my mates 80, back windows, this time, yes its still here, then detailed the inside only..

Tomorrow i gotta take a look underneath and see if i can see why its pulling to the right..

Wont be able to see much, but can look for bent steering arms, cracks in chassis etc..

Hmmmm

Tapa Tapa talk is not as good as using safari.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #559 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
I can finally post something relevant in this thread!!!!
The controller on our Webasco diesel heater broke a while ago. The service guy from the CT dealer cut the old controller off to return it to Webasco and they replaced it under warranty. I noticed after he had cut the controller off that the connector actually plugs in, so unplugged the remaining bit so that I could source a new one.
Turns out that the part is Webasco specific and it was easier for me to connect the cables back together rather than try to get a new connector.
Step 1. Read Simon’s electrical 101 thread http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=2236.0 and figure out how to join the two ends together and how to best solder them.
Step 2. Re-read simons thread to make sure that I am about to do the right thing.
Step 3. Cut back the insulation from the plug end, this is the shortest end so will determine the length of the join.
Step 4. Cut back the insulation from the cable end and join the cables together. Not much to work with and doesn’t look anywhere as neat as Simon’s, but good enough for a novice.

Step 5. Try to solder the joints, first soldering iron no good, second will only just do (mental note to get a proper soldering iron). Test heater, all good.
Step 6. Heat shrink all cables to ensure no shorting, also I understand this will also help with joint strength.
Step 7. Heat shrink all cables back together and test.
So this is the first real thing I have done to the CT and it all worked out OK in the end.

Took pics along the way, only one of them turned out OK.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #560 on: July 27, 2013, 07:17:31 AM »
Well, I finally did it. Six years after building my shed I got a mate to run power to it. :cheers: Guess what? We are putting the house on the market next week. Always the way. :-[ The only bonus is, that if the house sells & we get the place we are hoping to get(Grandmothers house) I'm putting in a 18m x 9m shed. With power. 8)
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #561 on: July 27, 2013, 07:24:48 AM »
U cant have a bigger shed than me.. Hhahahah

Actually thats a good size, mine is only 7.5 wide. And its too narrow to park the car in and have room front and back..

Luckilly i made that section a drive through so usually dont have too much in from of where i park my rig..

Having said that i do currently have a half built trailer on its end and my gantry there atm..

Usually dont have anything..

My shed is 16 long but 5m is designated for storage or games room. So workshop is 7.5x11m

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
Make sure that u build it up. I wold say atleast a 3.5m high

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

Great advise the higher the better.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #564 on: July 27, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

Haven't decided on a wall height yet. Planning on putting in a 2 post hoist in the new one so height will be an issue. Also planning the 4.5-6m being open bay so the main section will be 12 x 9.
Cheers, Mike
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #565 on: July 27, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
was just looking at my shed a few minutes ago...i guess i should go down there and finish cladding the back wall on it today  :-[ :-[
put some undercoat on the front gable weatherboards yesterday arvo when i got home from work though, want to paint it properly before screwing the gable flashing in place so i don't have to paint around it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #566 on: July 27, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »
was just looking at my shed a few minutes ago...i guess i should go down there and finish cladding the back wall on it today  :-[ :-[
put some undercoat on the front gable weatherboards yesterday arvo when i got home from work though, want to paint it properly before screwing the gable flashing in place so i don't have to paint around it.
About time you finish the shed.. How many years has it been?? Lol

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #567 on: July 27, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
Our council only allows maximum 100m2 outbuilding, including carport or patio etc.
the maximum is 3m, allowed 3.5m if you prove you have a caravan or boat and apply for application.

I would love a slightly bigger shed, and one where I could actually hang stuff from, except this cheap flimsy tin thing I currently have.........a few more pay cheques required yet!

I am just slightly jealous of these well set up sheds.

My old kitchen I ripped out while doing the house renos is my work bench and storage, some of the storage in the sheds above make me very very jealous.

grrrrrr!!

Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #568 on: July 27, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »
Our council only allows maximum 100m2 outbuilding, including carport or patio etc.
the maximum is 3m, allowed 3.5m if you prove you have a caravan or boat and apply for application.

Doesn't the council know every man needs a shed and the bigger the better. ??? I would be lost without my sheds.

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #569 on: July 27, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »
I don't remember the size of my father's shed

The front wall was cladded for about 3m, then 2 industrial sized roller doors about 3m apart, then another 3m(?) cladding, and normal sized roller door, then about 4-5m of cladding. Was about 10m deep
This was (country) suburbia

I miss that shed, mines only a 6x3m garden shed...s'pose I wasn't to happy when he went either!
Bob and Robyn

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #570 on: July 27, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
About time you finish the shed.. How many years has it been?? Lol
funny you should say that...didn't clad the last of the walls today, grabbed the paintbrush and started undercoating the weatherboards instead. had some oil based primer under the house, i now have it on my face, in my hair, etc, etc, etc....lol...actually i have no idea how to get it off, the thinners wasn't working real well on my face, nearly knocked myself out with a good whiff of the rag at one stage....lol

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #571 on: July 27, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
Try some turps.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #572 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
Try some turps.
i ended up scratching most of it off with my finger nail, won't go too overboard yet as i may end up painting some more tomorrow, so will just wear more paint by the end of the day anyhow...lol

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #573 on: July 27, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
, i now have it in my hair, etc, etc, etc....lol..

Pmsl   Now i Know your lying. What bloody hair? Hahahaha  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:40:10 PM by oldmate »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Mr TheTaylors

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #574 on: July 27, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
Painted some wooden panels for Mrs TheTaylors.....

Got the chainsaw ready to cut up a couple of ton of firewood.....