Author Topic: hi all  (Read 3103 times)

Offline jimchris4

• Learning the Ropes
hi all
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
i have just bought a new ezytrail camper trailer , and want to wire in an anderson plug on a 80 series landcruiser to charge my second battery on the trailer can someone please tell me if i really need to run it through a relay from the main battery back to the trailer.

many thanks

jimchris4
I'm Not Lost , Just Working On It

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: hi all
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
Welcome to myswag, and congrats on your new camper. You can run your Anderson direct from your aux or cranking battery without a relay. Just make sure you use big enough cable due to the voltage loss of the length of cable required. If you wire it to you cranking battery make sure you disconnect when you stop otherwise you may flatten your cranking battery.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »
G'day JimChris4 and welcome to Myswag. An isolator/dual battery management jigger is essential to prevent a low charge camper battery sucking charge from your starter battery when the alternator is not charging.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline jimchris4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
magic and thanks, i thought that i may be able to run it staight thought useing a 50 amp switch to disconnect it would that be safe.

jim

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
Hi welcome, where ya from?  there's Shit tins of info on here about electrical stuff just do a search, I wasted hours and hours trolling through it ;D doesn't mean I learned anything though still get zapped every now and then( plug leads bite >:D)

Troy
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline jimchris4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
oops forgot my manners, i,m from tin can bay in qld but love being away from home
 :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
jimchris4 Welcome to MySwag   ??? you did tell us you from Tin Can Bay on you 3rd post . Dig in find a place by the fire grasp a coldie in you claw & enjoy the ride This Is the best forum on the net  :cheers:
            Belive me it is  ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
Hi Jim and Chris, welcome to My Swag and its good to see yet another EzyTrail owner on here, :cup: I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline waz65

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »
welcome jimchris4 to myswag there's heaps of info here enjoy :)
2000 Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with mods

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
i have just bought a new ezytrail camper trailer , and want to wire in an anderson plug on a 80 series landcruiser to charge my second battery on the trailer can someone please tell me if i really need to run it through a relay from the main battery back to the trailer.
jimchris4

Welcome to Myswag.

The Anderson Plug on the back of my Patrol is wired just as you are suggesting, with a wire direct from the starter battery straight back to the Anderson plug, and then (when plugged into the camper), direct to the batteries in the camper.  I do however have an auto reset circuit breaker/fuse ($10.00) at either end (directly before each battery).  Some sort of fuse or breaker is required at both ends in case the wire shorts out somewhere along the line.

I've only run 6mm auto cable for this setup, as well as 30 amp breaker/fuse on the ends.  This set up has been doing the job of keeping the batteries in the camper charged for about 2 year now.

As has been said, if you intend setting yours up in a similar way, be aware of the possibility of flattening the start battery if the Anderson plug is not disconnected whilst camped.  Your 50 amp switch would be ideal if you want to leave the Anderson plug hooked up.

I'm not a believer in all the hype about expensive dual battery isolators/managers being essential for this sort of thing, and would rather keep it all simple and less expensive.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:34:33 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
Welcome Chris but I disagree about the isolator switches. I have a Redarc isolator switch in mine and I have used 6 b and s cable which is the max in a 50 amp plug. try looking at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8h7WrO2q7o&feature=player_embedded