Author Topic: Holy ******** hell. Be careful with gas bottles !!!  (Read 2120 times)

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Holy ******** hell. Be careful with gas bottles !!!
« on: December 04, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
Saw this on the news today.
FFS, think about how you carry gas bottles  :'(

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsBrisbane/videos/1771531896308658/
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Holy ******** hell. Be careful with gas bottles !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »
Posted this on one of the facebook pages about the Bypass of Coffs.  With every excuse they have about why for tunnels the big down play of Dangerous Goods.  They didn't like it. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:15:51 PM »
 Brings back a horrific memory for me. I lost a mate and plumbing partner in 1997 to a gas explosion.
He drove a Hi ace van with a sealed cargo area. Had filled up the small LPG the evening before, it obviously leaked over night and on him opening the drivers door the next morning blew him into the next world.
I attended the scene and the memory of the damage to properties in the surrounding area was like a war setting and something that is etched into me.

I note that the fire officer in the 7news clip suggest/ carrying LPG in the small confines of a boot.
Not sure a leaking cylinder in the boot is a great place, small area less chance of smelling leak, small contained area perfect environment to explode.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Brings back a horrific memory for me. I lost a mate and plumbing partner in 1997 to a gas explosion.
He drove a Hi ace van with a sealed cargo area. Had filled up the small LPG the evening before, it obviously leaked over night and on him opening the drivers door the next morning blew him into the next world.
I attended the scene and the memory of the damage to properties in the surrounding area was like a war setting and something that is etched into me.

I note that the fire officer in the 7news clip suggest/ carrying LPG in the small confines of a boot.
Not sure a leaking cylinder in the boot is a great place, small area less chance of smelling leak, small contained area perfect environment to explode.

Totally agree with you.  Also the smaller the cubic area, the quicker it will get to explosive potential.
Best idea was expressed by another fire officer on T.V.
Only load the bottles after making sure the taps are securely shut. 
Then travel with windows open so the vehicle is well ventilated.
Don't leave the bottles in a vehicle overnight for any reason.

Not good about your Mate.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:20:42 AM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »
Quote from: rags
yea I was listening to the firey bloke when he mentioned most people have dual cabs and store in the back...  its still a sealed area. :( Roofrack in an old milk crate sounds good to me.

Sorry to hear bout ya mate Rags.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
I lost a mate

Sorry to hear that Rags.

I've seen mention of that incident (or another the same) & yes, it's a mess
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:03:07 AM »
Also the smaller the cubic area, the quicker it will get to explosive potential.

It will achieve the Stoichiometric ratio of 15.5:1 quickly, but will also exceed it quickly. Once you get past the optimum concentration it won't explode as there isn't enough oxygen in the mix, but it will burn around the edges. If it does explode, then the smaller volume will do less damage and it will probably be contained by the vehicle structure.

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on opening the boot though. A poor connection to the boot light might be enough to ignite it as all the air rushes in as the lid opens and your face would be right in the fire ball.

Plumbers vans seem to be over represented in gas accidents, if you are lucky its using the central locking, unfortunately more than a few are from opening the side door.