Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 116099 times)

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
Windows 10
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:38 PM »
Windows 10 has just been launched and is free for existing windows 7 and 8 users if downloaded in the first twelve months.
I would be interested to hear for or against comments from our resident computer techs and IT experts before making my decision to switch to Windows 10. I am currently using Windows 7 and find it OK but i hate Internet Explorer with a passion as it continually freezes or shuts down without warning. I mostly use Chrome or Firefox because of this and believe the new Windows Edge is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I guess time will tell.

Cheers

Robbo :D

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:50:09 PM »
i've been running windows 10 via virtual machine since it was released as a beta and it has been getting better and better.

i have the latest build running now and it is excellent.

i will have no hesitation in upgrading our windows 7 machine when the time comes...

plenty of reviews (the verge, engadget, wired, ars technica, etc) seem to recommend the upgrade...

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
Have heard there is a glitch with Nvidia graphics cards, haven't checked it out though. I would say there will be a new driver released soon to fix it.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Tweekin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
Just installed it today , seems pretty good to me

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
I've also been running the beta for a while as a virtual and have the latest build installed.. It's pretty good but personally I won't be upgrading my Win7 machines for a while yet.

Couple of things I don't like (and these are techy type issue..)
You don't have ANY control over installing updates. Microsoft will push them out whenever they want and they will automatically install in the background.

Drivers.. If you have a manufacturers driver installed (the Nvidia is a classic example) and MS has there own version they will uninstall yours and install theirs. This is the "Nvidia issue" as theirs is buggie. If you re-install your own, the next time windows checks for updates... back to the buggie one :(

Ther is NO indication yet of how much "phone home" stuff is still in the RTM build. The beta was full of it so they could minitor what you're doing.

There are still quite a few other bugs apart fom these that will be addressed as patches.

Lots of stuff is being made available only through the App Store, so you HAVE to have a Microsoft account.

Edge the greatest thing since sliced bread?? Way to early to tell, and I'm a died in the wool Firefox user anyway.

I'll stick with my Win7 for the moment, thank you very much
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:19 PM »
As a matter of fact, I'm running it now :cup:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »
I am a big fan of Windows 8 so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if it is worth changing. My work tablet will never change, but thinking about upgrading the home laptop.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
Couple of things I don't like (and these are techy type issue..)

You don't have ANY control over installing updates. Microsoft will push them out whenever they want and they will automatically install in the background.

Edge the greatest thing since sliced bread?? Way to early to tell, and I'm a died in the wool Firefox user anyway.

you can actually stop windows 10 from automatically installing system updates, if you choose... (not sure why home users would want to... )

edge is already much better than ie11, so that's a good start... :)  and in some performance metrics, it outdoes chrome, firefox and safari...

but, YMMV...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »
Ther is NO indication yet of how much "phone home" stuff is still in the RTM build. The beta was full of it so they could minitor what you're doing.

not sure what 'phone home' stuff you are referring to...

the only way that microsoft was getting feedback via the insider program was by testers using the feedback application, which was very visible in the technical previews...

and also the normal crash reports, which windows has had for years...

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
I am a big fan of Windows 8 so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if it is worth changing. My work tablet will never change, but thinking about upgrading the home laptop.
I would upgrade. Heaps better and easier to use. Been running various versions from the fast and slow rings being part of the windows insiders for a fair while, along with Windows 10 IoT on raspberry Pi 2.
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
I would upgrade. Heaps better and easier to use. Been running various versions from the fast and slow rings being part of the windows insiders for a fair while, along with Windows 10 IoT on raspberry Pi 2.

In the end I don't think I'm getting a choice, looks like Windows update is downloading it now!! I just Google'd how to roll back if needed and looks easy enough to do. I'll upgrade the tablet and if it gets the tick of approval I'll probably do the laptop.

BTW I reckon 8 was easy to use! IMO I though 8 has been the best since 3.11!
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »
Whaddayouknow about IT you bogan, you drink too much Bundy   ??? :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
Whaddayouknow about IT you bogan, you drink too much Bundy   ??? :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D

Wonder does he think IT must "phone home"?!

Offline Bad Scott

• Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:17 PM »
LOL.
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline Bad Scott

• Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 07:55:46 PM »
Wonder does he think IT must "phone home"?!
No wonder I was getting it all wrong. I thought it was ET
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
you can actually stop windows 10 from automatically installing system updates, if you choose... (not sure why home users would want to... )

You used to be able to change settings using gpedit. You can still change the settings but they no longer have any effect. Haven't tried the reg hack yet.
Things have changed in the final build. eg wuapp.exe doesn't exist anymore. It did 2 builds ago. Also there is no longer a control panel applet for updates. (yes I know, Settings>Update & security, still no option to disable updates)

I agree, Edge is better than IE11, but that wouldn't be hard, would it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:10:12 PM by MrBitchi »
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:28 PM »
You used to be able to change settings using gpedit. You can still change the settings but they no longer have any effect. Haven't tried the reg hack yet.
Things have changed in the final build. eg wuapp.exe doesn't exist anymore. It did 2 builds ago. Also there is no longer a control panel applet for updates. (yes I know, Settings>Update & security, still no option to disable updates)

I agree, Edge is better than IE11, but that wouldn't be hard, would it.

like i said, i am not sure why home users would want to not install updates (drivers in the new OS, is a bit different), but microsoft provide a tool for preventing an update from installing:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
like i said, i am not sure why home users would want to not install updates

Me neither, but that's not me. That tool will allow you to temporarily disable a particular update, true, but it will not change the way general updates are delivered.

And no, drivers in the new OS are not different if Microsoft insists on being the sole supplier of said drivers.
In a production environment you don't want updates or new drivers installing unexpectedly.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
Me neither, but that's not me. That tool will allow you to temporarily disable a particular update, true, but it will not change the way general updates are delivered.

And no, drivers in the new OS are not different if Microsoft insists on being the sole supplier of said drivers.
In a production environment you don't want updates or new drivers installing unexpectedly.

agree totally on the updates/drivers installing automatically issue in a business production environment...

willing to bet that the microsoft-version of drivers issue will be resolved pretty quickly, especially if they want gamers to upgrade... :)

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »

willing to bet that the microsoft-version of drivers issue will be resolved pretty quickly, especially if they want gamers to upgrade... :)
Certainly hope so.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
edge is already much better than ie11, so that's a good start... :) 

I'm warming to it, certainly much faster than IE

Have you worked out how to move the tabs from the top to underneath the address bat like it used to be?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:46:49 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
I'm warming to it, certainly much faster than IE

Have you worked out how to move the tabs from the top to underneath the address bat like it used to be?

i'm normally a chrome user mostly, but edge is now my second browser easily...

haven't really tried to move tabs... will have to check it out...  if i get anything, i'll post here...

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »
Will W10 work with the multitude of programs i have? Eg, Quickbooks. Photoshop, Illustrator etc. I seem to remember an issue with W8 for Quickbooks.  Plus any cad programs?
Think I'll probably delay install until i hear about all the disaster stories.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »
I've just upgraded on my Surface Pro 2. So far so good.

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
Personally, I'll wait for SP1.  Let the early adopters work out the bugs I reckon.