28 (37.3%)
25%
26 (34.7%)
50%
16 (21.3%)
70%
5 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Do you ever leave the camper at home and pack a tent?  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
Re: Do you ever leave the camper at home and pack a tent?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »
Boy's Trip each winter - swags.

Mobile trips to places un-kamper friendly - swags x4

All trips even with Kamper the kids use their swags - easy setup.

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
We lived in the NT until mid '07 and used to swag it. But when cane toads made it across the border Mrs T refused to sleep in a swag, as she wasn't prepared to risk waking in the middle of the night with a toad sitting on her.  So since then it's been a camper trailer and we've taken to it like ducks to water.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
We have a 4 man dome tent & air mattress - even on long trips we usually take them - just in case we want to leave the CT behind.

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
gave our good tent away to friends when our CT arrived, haven't needed to replace it yet, but i see a time a long way down the track that we will need to take a tent with us, we still have a tent but it is roughly the same size as our CT and takes twice a long to set up so it will live in the back shed for the rest of its days unless someone wants to part with a bottle of Canadian Club for it  ;D
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
Well there you go.  That was a real surprise.  I would have thought the preference on a short overnight stop would be the CT, as it would be faster to set up, and bed is already made.  Considering the tent I was considering was the Black Wolf Turbo, it sounds like it won't be a waste to have it in the quiver.

Interesting topic this one. Good on you for raising it.

Just like you I also thought the quick stops = CT wins gold every time. I say that because we've not long returned from our around Oz trip and there were lots & lots of one night stops. Not just that but sometimes it was arrive late & depart sparrow fart and the CT was perfect for quick set-ups and fast get aways.

Why then I asked myself have I been looking lately at those nifty looking swags at Coffs Harbour camping stores, and in particular a double swag? There's a certain appeal there for me but then the CT has it all with:
* super quick set-up (quick awning only or none) - 2 minutes
* very comfy off the ground bed (leave it made-up) -
* good kitchen & pantry
* water on tap - no need to bugger the old back lugging 20L water around
* reasonable space when the weather is crook - tent or a swag would be hell for me in the rain
* place for the dog on his cushion
* pretty quick pack-up & leave - around 5 minutes

Best things for the swag seemed to be
1. Better fuel economy (no CT in tow)
2. Comfy sleep (or so I'm told).
3. Reach more the more difficult destinations.
4. Small space only required for camp set-up.

Best things with tent:
1. Better fuel economy than a CT.
2. Good for hard to get to places.
After that the negatives seem to out weight the positives.

After 3 months away I now understand & appreciate the value of comfort. Yes a CT costs more in fuel but it's worth every cent.

Cheers - Wayne

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
I take my camper trailer so i can sleep in a swag.

Sounds strange i know, but if i'm going to a bike comp which is an overnighter i sleep in a 'tent-cot' but i take the camper trailer because the bike can be carried on the drawbar but most importantly the camper trailer has the full kitchen and power setup for lights. The tent cot is quicker to setup and put away when you're on your own.

I could take the lighter bike trailer but the camper trailer is a bit heavier so the bike doesn't get thrown around as much and i don't need to spend any time packing the jeep with camping gear as the trailer is already setup. There's nothing worse than having to pull everything out of the camper trailer, sort it out and put it in the jeep and then put it all back in the camper's kitchen when i get home.

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline Blue Bravo

• adventure before dementia
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »
We had an on road camper first and we used to take a tent so we could go "off road". Mrs Bravo got over the tent and gave permission to buy the Off Roader. Still I took the tent to the Tight Lines Tour as I was by myself and I enjoyed it. It will stay in the garage with all the other stuff that will come in handt one day.
Glenn

A member of the leisure class

Offline maca76

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
We leave the camper behind sometimes only when we want to take the boat, over the last 2 months we have used our tent twice and camper once, as where we were going had great boat fishing.

Cheers Ryan  :cheers:

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »
If travelling solo for only a night or three, I'll generally swag it. Love the ol' B&W and just pull the awning out if weather's sus. Also, I can arrive late, drink with the gang, stagger to the 4by and still set my swag up in the dark - can't do that with the soft floor..... ;D

Next trip is 8 nights with the b&c in tow, so it's the trusty camper this time. Love 'em both though (swag and camper.... 8))

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »
Looks like there should be a few 'good tents' available for sale on this thread

Yep, I'm looking for a good tent  ;D

have never used a swag, but I understand they are a one person product, so a tent would suit better I think :cheers:

PM me if you have a (good) tent you can part with :worthles:

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
When we had a camper we did think of the idea of carrying a tent....you know in case we wanted to try some harder tracks and overnight somewhere away from the camper.
But the problem is that when you have your camper fully set up generally it's because all your stuff doesn't fit in the car, so from my point of view it would probably be quite a hassle transferring necessities to the car (like water, stove, food, sleeping gear etc etc) just to go away from the camper for a night!
Although I'd have to say traveling in rainy weather down the East Coast we did drop into a motel or two :D And in some ways the price you pay at a caravan park for a family of 4 just for an unpowered site, at times may as well just go into a cabin for an odd night if necessary :) Although that was then, the kids are older now so not likely to do that sort of thing unless it's a really really long trip.

Looking at buying swags at the moment (any recommendations for a good double for 2 people to sleep in?) for us probably to use in the single pole tent (Hybby's not a fan of inflatable mattresses. hiking ones not comfy enough and the 4wd ones are too bulky), and for the kids so we can kick them out of the tent (don't generally set up the two hiking tents we brought for that purpose as the single pole is just a lot quicker and easier), and if it's raining I guess we can all throw our swags in the one tent if the weather is that bad. (We don't have a camper trailer again as changed cars yet again...Troopy this time, looks like it's going to fit us all in with gear!).

But yes I reckon having an option to tent or swag it instead of a camper trailer is a good idea, but then you would probably start wondering if you really need the camper......I see them pretty much as just a bed on wheels, but of course when the kids move out and we retire my view will change as they will hopefully become a "home on wheels" :D
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »

Looking at buying swags at the moment (any recommendations for a good double for 2 people to sleep in?)

We've used a Darche Double Superdome for over ten years now.  It has given us great service.  Probably cost a lot more than $240 now tho!

http://www.darche.com.au/swags/original_superdome.html

You do need to get used to sleeping with your head just below the canvas tho, SHMBO puts up with it, but that said,  we mostly sleep with just the mesh above us unless its raining.

The superdome now also appears to have a lot more "footspace" than our original.

:cheers:

Mace

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
We've used a Darche Double Superdome for over ten years now.  It has given us great service.  Probably cost a lot more than $240 now tho!

http://www.darche.com.au/swags/original_superdome.html

You do need to get used to sleeping with your head just below the canvas tho, SHMBO puts up with it, but that said,  we mostly sleep with just the mesh above us unless its raining.

The superdome now also appears to have a lot more "footspace" than our original.

:cheers:

Mace

Thanks Mace, I've bookmarked your recommendation. From the bit of web research I've done since posting Darche seems to be a brand worth considering for sure. Also spotted the Burke & Wills ones which seem appealing.
Next step is to try and check some out in person hopefully.

2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline tinkera

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »
 Yeah still have all the tenting gear used it for a overnighter couple mth,s ago gee,s it,s hard to go back though you get spoilt with the camper anyway tents get used by my daughters and partners why because they asked for the use of the camper so they will be using the tents for a while to come or till I drop off my perch. Tinkera.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:41:01 AM by tinkera »

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
I only take a tent because I'm currently camper-less. On the odd occasion it was just my wife and I in her small car we took a tent, but my camper was so easy to set up it was perhaps simpler than a swag or tent.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
Yep, many times. Depends on the type of trip. I don't see the point of dragging the camper just for myself.

Swag for boy's trips......

Southern Cross Touring tent for longer stays but still only a boy's trip. (Will be used next year for the Cape trip, kids will be in the Grandparents camper....hehehe)

Large Southern Cross Double Ender Touring tent for Family trips when I can't tow due to either towing a boat or too hard to get camper trailer in......

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..