Author Topic: Combustion Heater Installation Questions  (Read 1368 times)

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Combustion Heater Installation Questions
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:22:28 PM »
Hi Swaggers.
I would like to install a combustion heater in our home. The ideal place is in the centre of the house but our house is 2 storey. Directly above the ideal spot is one of the bedrooms and if the chimney was to go straight up it would be away from a wall so couldn't be boxed in.
Does anyone have experience with a install in a 2 storey house. Can you install the flue/chimney horizontal in the ground floor ceiling/upstairs floor space with fall/rise in the pipe work to then exit out the side wall up to above the upper roof.
How hot would the pipe work get.
Can it be lagged.
Can you install a inline fan to help with smoke extraction.

If it was possible I don't mind opening the plasterboard up to aid the install of chimney pipe work.

Looking forward to some advice.

Offline Murph

• Tent User
Re: Combustion Heater Installation Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
No .   Come out the end wall at 45 deg and triple skin the whole flue . It will not be cheep . I would suggest a H cowl to,assist with the drawing on the fire and no you can't put a fan in line .   This is NOT a DIY job ! Pro install and I would contact your council for a permit ,make sure you have all permits and certificates in place for the insurance company.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:59:13 PM by Murph »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Combustion Heater Installation Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
Here is the flue on our fire, fire is located in downstairs living room, the flue passes thru floor area up in to the bedroom up above and thru the raked 40deg pitch roof to outside, the number of flue skins increase  as it rises. Double skin from fire to underside of downstairs ceiling, as it passes thru the floor joist it jumps to triple skin with a drop box around it so like fourth skin. The joist area is lined with a fire rated fibro product. The triple skin then continues up thru bedroom before exiting thru roof ceiling, here it is triple skin with drop box again. The flue upstairs gets luke  warm to touch with a hot fire, but the room can get hot. I installed this 23 years ago and has worked well. When installing flues/fire places the length of flue can impact on the fires ability to draw.
My wife would say "excuse the mess in the picture"