Author Topic: Holiday Dilemma  (Read 9144 times)

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
Holiday Dilemma
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
Not happy JANNNNN.

We were just about to take 4 weeks off to tour the Kimberly, like leaving Monday. But my "relief" driver is now unable to commit. Grrrr months of planning...
Unfortunately I just cannot put any "blow" Joe behind the wheel. But me, "normal" Joe am allowed.

Regardless I still need a holiday,  done the sums  and decided I can afford to park up for 2 weeks.

Sooo the dilemma.

1. Still do the Kimberly but at a much quicker rate of knots. Doing so I'll prob have to for go doing the Munja tk. Which personally was about 50% of my draw card to the region.  The more remote the better..
Soo do people think/feel the 2 weeks will allow enough time to see most things with out rushing. I want a holiday not a quick wam bam thank you very much mam. I do enjoy a  few sherbets so driving place 2 place every day just wont work.
Is it worth holding off (again mind you) untill next year. Take the 4 weeks and experience the Kimberly region with time and better appreciate what good old Oz has to offer..???

OR

Take my 2 weeks just mossy on down to Lorrella springs.
Set a base camp and just ponder along as we please....Fish, camp fire, able to use my genny (ha) for aircon and plenty of swimming holes.
Lorrella springs is also a another place that is high on our "to do list" so we would be getting there soon or later regardless.

Yes its a a VERY hard discussion. To fabulous places..

2 weeks moving just about every day and doing the Kimberly.??
Or
2 week's just roaming a 1 million acre property at a easy pass??

Ps I live in Darwin so its only a day drive yo start the Kimberly trip,  or a day and half to Lorrella Springs.

Joe..
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Holiday Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »
What about hitting somewhere like the Mornington Wilderness Camp, has everything in one place, and the do the Bungles on the way home. Theres places like Windjana or Geike  you can do an overnight or 2 stop over.
Take the opportunity to take a holiday, wherever it is, you dont know whats around the corner. Lifes too short, and no one ever said on their death bed I wish I had spent more time at work.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
No use rushing and regretting going at all. and missing places you really wanna go..

Go elsewhere where you can relax and enjoy yourself.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: arjay

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »
Hi.

The Mornington Wilderness Camp,  is that's 1 of the places that don't allow caravans? 
The bungles on this trip was not high on the agenda as also No dual axles vans / trailers. Not stress about the camping just i have the Van and I'll like to make it pay for it self.

Joe

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
I agree with Bird.
I think you will regret when you are rushing in the Kimberleys.
Take your time, better to take a 2 week break now and enjoy the peace then rushing for 2 weeks and miss all the great places.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
I was at lorella last week, not many fish being caught. And it was getting busy.

Offline Two Words

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »
Lorella is a good destination,  if you have an off road trailer, go to roper bar to start,  then go via the savannah way to Towns River for a couple of nights,  then on to Limmin Bight Fish Camp for a few more nights and then in to Lorella for a couple and out to King Ash Bay near Borroloola and out home on the black road,  an easy couple of weeks with an easy trip home.
Two Words

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »
Lorella is a good destination,  if you have an off road trailer, go to roper bar to start,  then go via the savannah way to Towns River for a couple of nights,  then on to Limmin Bight Fish Camp for a few more nights and then in to Lorella for a couple and out to King Ash Bay near Borroloola and out home on the black road,  an easy couple of weeks with an easy trip home.
Two Words

Sounds half interesting. Just might look into yr idea in a bit more depth..

Joe

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:02 PM »
I don't know about Lorella Springs (although it does sound tempting), as someone who did the Gibb River Road in a week, I can tell you that, while I do not regret doing so because we still had a grouse time, I would have loved to have done it slower and more thoroughly.

Luckily, we plan to return in the not too distant future.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »
Quote from: Two Words
Two Words
That's more than 2 words, but some top info there!
Joe - this is your plan now dude ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
Wont know for sure yet, be talking it over with the "Boss" tonight. She's also after a slower paced holiday. The more i stew it over, a Lorrella springs trip looks like it has more benefits for a 2 week period then high tailing through the Kimberly. Just hard to change your mind once so far into your planning...

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
Port Essington in the Garig Gunak Barlu NP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZshq9cPTE   :cheers:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
Port Essington in the Garig Gunak Barlu NP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZshq9cPTE   :cheers:

Looks like quite a spot. But as i know absolutely nothing about the area as of yet...  We are  towing a off rd caravan brick by ourselves which if not carefull  could just end up being alot of hard work.
But defiantly a place to put on my hit list.

By next year we'll be selling our off rd van for something alot smaller and practical. More suited to adventures you just mentioned.

Cheers Joe

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
Quote from: callmejoe
Ps I live in Darwin so its only a day drive to start the Kimberly trip
just re-reading this...

You lucky bastard!!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 05:00:56 PM »
just re-reading this...

You lucky bastard!!!!

Well if it makes you feel any better I drive to Broome then back to Darwin weekly. I definitely don't struggle getting out of bed early every morning to watch the sun rise over the ranges.

Its a horrible job. 4 days a week. Just horrible.

Hope that helps.

Joe.

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
gosh joe, if this had happened three weeks ago I could have sent a mate along to help with the driving - he was up visiting his daughter in Darwin and he's not working at the moment

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
Wont know for sure yet, be talking it over with the "Boss" tonight. She's also after a slower paced holiday. The more i stew it over, a Lorrella springs trip looks like it has more benefits for a 2 week period then high tailing through the Kimberly. Just hard to change your mind once so far into your planning...

Lorrella Springs is " Definitely on our wish list"......Please send pic's if you end up there ..... :cup: :cup:

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
Gezzzzzz...Just looked at the name more closely .....thought it read camel toe    .... ;D ;D ;D

>:D >:D >:D >:D...Cheers Tracker.... ;D ;D

Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
gosh joe, if this had happened three weeks ago I could have sent a mate along to help with the driving - he was up visiting his daughter in Darwin and he's not working at the moment

Yeah,  replace drivers, unfortunately, need to be fully accredited,  company trained,  company's doctor medical,  company assessed bla bla bla. Then the training, a minimum of 1 month, which 1 would need. Its a hands on jobs when loading/unloading. Which puts alot of experience drivers off. Plenty  of newbies,  already in the company but operating singles would  love a crack. But arrrrr sorry not in my truck, way to much invested..

But thems  just the way it rolls. No different from working for any other company really.  Has only ever been a sticking point for my bloomen holidays.

Joe

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
Gezzzzzz...Just looked at the name more closely .....thought it read camel toe    .... ;D ;D ;D

>:D >:D >:D >:D...Cheers Tracker.... ;D ;D

Pay that. Butttt arrrrr NO.

Offline Cleggy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 05:52:15 PM »

This is a great spot, especially if you have a boat and love to fish.

I drove there 15 years ago and it was probably the worse road I've ever driven. Rattled teeth from the top jaw it did.

Is probably a a lot better now, but along way towing  a dual axel trailer if it's not recently graded.

Offline Two Words

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »
Sorry for the novel.

We did Garig Gunak Barlu NP on Coburg Peninsula a couple of years ago, however a spot needs to be booked and paid for with Arhnem Land entry permits issued prior to crossing the East Alligator River at Cahills Crossing, [it is tidal and can be dangerous, and it is infested with snapping handbags]. Entry permits are usually issued for a week only during the dry season.
There are two separate camping areas at Smith Point,  one [five sites]for those with generators,  and five for those quiet folks without. Just five camps are permitted in each area at one time, a Ranger and or Traditional Owner will call at each camp during each day, basically to collect refuse and advise campers of notable places to see and things to do. There is a small museum of local historical artefacts and relics of past settlements from visiting macassan fishermen located at the Ranger Station at Black Point.
Our neighbour at the generator camp took fifteen hours to negotiate the track from the crossing to Smith Point as he was reluctant to damage his new Hi-Lux and a five meter boat on a trailer fully loaded with 200l drums of outboard fuel, our own trip with a modified GU Patrol and a KK Platinum took five hours due to the condition of the track,  it had not been graded at that time for more than two years.
Camps are clean and spacious,  composting toilets in each area and solar hot showers are available. There is a boat ramp at Black Point.
This trip is best done with a reliable seaworthy boat as the fishing is superb,  there was no provision for fuel and food,  visitors need to be totally self sufficient in every way.  At the time we visited, [September] caravans were not permitted due to the condition of the track, from memory it is about 350km from Jabiru which is the closest regular fuel and food supply. Irregular fuel supplies can sometimes be purchased at the Oenpelli Settlement. [Diesel and Opal petrol only].
We will visit again, there is much to see and do in a totally pristine environment.
A bucket list "must do".
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 09:57:04 PM »
Well dilemma solved. Sort of..

Packing the van and heading towards Mataranka. Then towards Roper and wing it from there.  Lorrella springs is our goal. Going to bit of adventure.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 10:00:28 PM »
Well dilemma solved. Sort of..

Packing the van and heading towards Mataranka. Then towards Roper and wing it from there.  Lorrella springs is our goal. Going to bit of adventure.
good work mate... get out and enjoy it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 12:01:14 AM »
road through limmen was being graded at the weekend, so its a pretty good run, enjoy.