Author Topic: XTrail Ranger or alternatives  (Read 7437 times)

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
XTrail Ranger or alternatives
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
Gday folks,
well the time has come for me to stop sleeping on the ground and move up in the world, I am currently looking at and XTrail Ranger and hoping they can come to the party with a reasonable price. I have not seen any bad reviews on these campers which is great but I'm also not the best computer person LOL.
The reason I am posting this is to get some peoples thoughts on the XTrail or other campers.
A little about me: I am an avid 4x4er and don't really shy away from challenging tracks and will need a CT that will stay in one piece weather it be in the Vic High country, crossing the Simpson or up the Cape(I plan on doing all of them). it will have to house myself the boss and couple of small people, and have water a kitchen and power. I'm looking around the 15k mark but lower is better and what ever it is has to be in Brisbane by mid Feb (I'm in the Army and currently in Afghanistan and will have leave for 5 weeks when I get home in Feb so a trip is on the cards as soon as I'm home).
I am liking the Xtrail Ranger alot and would love some feed back on it but also feel free to point me towards anything that may suit.

Cheers Ben :cheers:

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
Re: XTrail Ranger or alternatives
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:13:46 PM »
G'day ben and welcome aboard myswag.
Search would be your friend with the XTrail campers. A few members have thier campers and I cant remember a bad word bieng said about the build quality, Service or general experience of dealing with Xtrail campers. They have a thread in the showroom floor and a few owners in My Camper section. Good luck with your decision and best of luck over there and safe home. We look forward to hearing of your travels.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
G'day ben and welcome aboard myswag.
Search would be your friend with the XTrail campers. A few members have thier campers and I cant remember a bad word bieng said about the build quality, Service or general experience of dealing with Xtrail campers. They have a thread in the showroom floor and a few owners in My Camper section. Good luck with your decision and best of luck over there and safe home. We look forward to hearing of your travels.

Hey mate thanks for the welcome, I have done the search thing just after any other opinions or advice I can get for my situation as I dont have too much of an idea of what im looking at I just know what I like.

Cheers Ben

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 07:27:01 AM »
Welcome Ben, I am an Xtrail Ranger owner and love it, it suits all I need and I have had no major problems.  Dealing with the company or after sales service has been a pleasure and I feel thats one of the most important things in making any purchase and it shows they have pride in their product.  I bought the Ranger sight unseen except for the recommendations and what I found on the web and had several changes to suite me needs.  I had an earlier thread with several photos and will try and find it for you, but feel free to ask any questions.  There are a lot of other options out there and it is really up to what suits you and the family.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
Ben, this is the thread  http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8136.msg120459#msg120459 Shows some of the changes.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:05 AM »
I have an Xtrail Xplorrer off road but originally i did intend to purchase the ranger, but ran out of cash. I am very happy with my camper and if you look at these posts,

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8021.0
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8814.0

I have not had a chance to take it out camping but the trailer has already tracked up 600km towing from Melbourne to Hobart

The campers are well built and well priced, and although the tents are imported, they are one of the best imported tents i have seen, great standard features that others charge as options.  

Good luck with your decision, but i don't think you can go wrong with the Ranger, they are a great camper.
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
Welcome to MySwag Phantomxr8. I have NFI about the XTrail, I just wanted to say well done on the job you're all doing over there. Be safe and enjoy your time off.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »
Cheers Guys also looking at the Ranger Campers CT also now setup the same as the XTrail it comes in a bit cheaper that's with all the same options, both look well built but I am still leaning towards the XTrail just hope they can come to the party with a good price if they can (I have made them an offer halfway between the two prices) I will be putting a deposit down on one or the other next week so I have one by mid Feb.
Another question I have is who is a good carrier to get a CT from Melbourne to Brisbane? as either of my two choices will be coming from down there.
Oh and D4D  :cheers:

Ben

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »
GIC ay, cought no comment.

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:52:13 AM »
GIC ay, cought no comment.

The original plan was a GIC Ranger but after hearing a few stories of things twisting, things falling off cause they were pop riveted on, I scrapped that plan.
Sam from XTrail gave me the price I was after so I will be putting the deposit down tomorrow  :cup: quite chuffed  :laugh:

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:13:29 AM »
WELL DONE, i think you will find Sam is a very reasonable bloke to deal with and the support is great. When i saw the ranger in his shop i fell in love, but cash was another story. BUT i still ended up with a great package so win win i guess.

Keep us posted.

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
Woo Hoo the Deposit is paid the CT is standard except for ticking the boxes to add the Inverter, Charger, anderson plug, water level gauge, DO35 coupling and I have asked to have an extra battery added.....

Now the wait begins :)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 05:55:32 AM »
Are you there yet ? Phantomxr8. why dont you flash down & collect it your self ? your overnight accom on the way home is sorted already  ;D  Also the first set up could be done miles from home so nobody can watch you fumble about . When you get home to show the gang its budda bing budda boom , done ! They will be inpressed with your skills or natural talents  ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:59:11 AM by speewa158 »
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:07:48 PM »
Are you there yet ? Phantomxr8. why dont you flash down & collect it your self ? your overnight accom on the way home is sorted already  ;D  Also the first set up could be done miles from home so nobody can watch you fumble about . When you get home to show the gang its budda bing budda boom , done ! They will be inpressed with your skills or natural talents  ;D

Trying to talk in missus into her and I going down to pick it up  then a few days in the Vic High country on the way home to Brissy, cheapest quote to get it home B4 I get home so far is $1500 WTF  ???
The only problem I can see is it wont be weathered yet so heavy rain could be a problem

Offline Compass

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »
Methinks you're better off putting that money toward a trip down to pick it up. At least you'll get some fun out of your hard-earned. ;D
2015 Toyota Prado
2012 Kimberley Kamper Platinum