Author Topic: Turn your headlights on!  (Read 22440 times)

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
Turn your headlights on!
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
This is a long post, but well written and thoughtworthy, from someone who works for our company.  Makes sense to me, what do you think?

A National Road Safety Initiative to consider.

Written by D----- A---

Something has been bugging me for sometime now and I wonder why nobody has ever considered it to maybe reduce the Australian Road Toll. I am a 41 year old simple father of two children with a lovely wife who has held a driver license for 23 years and average 70,000kms a year on Australian roads. I am a Motor Mechanic by trade and have been the owner of many motor cars and motorcycles over the years which may have highlighted the initiative in my mind considering how far we have come in the motoring industry even over the time of my driving history. Everyday on my roads I wonder sometimes just what some people are thinking when I see them driving early morning, late afternoon, in low light conditions and heavy fog without their headlights on. Bear with me and please take the time to think back and ask yourself have you ever had a close call or what if?                                               
Everyday all around Australia there are accidents involving all road users, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, cars, buses and trucks that can and do result in financial loss, injury and loss of life and I wonder how many of these instances could have a different outcome if it was mandatory for all road users to drive or operate their vehicles with their headlights on every time the key is turned on. I wonder how many times the police have heard “I didn’t see him, her or them” and I wonder how many accidents that involve families like mine that have not survived a trip down an Australian road and have come to a horrific end on a perfectly straight road, I wonder what if they had their headlights on and the oncoming vehicle had it’s headlights on would they have seen one another before having the head on. Take note of just how hard it is to see some cars, bikes etc on the road these days due to their colour and how the blend in to the surroundings, then have you ever had to ask yourself as you peer around the tail of the vehicle your about to overtake “ is it clear up ahead” “is that car coming or going” or yeah I have got plenty of room to overtake only to find that the vehicle is on top of you ever so quickly and you were worried although you wouldn’t admit it to your family. Every night I see the aftermath of a horrific tragedy on the news and wonder if there could have been a different outcome.

I own a Harley Davidson motorcycle that as soon as the ignition is switched on the headlight is also illuminated, it doesn’t even have a headlight switch and for the sole reason of safety to make motorcycles more visible to other road users and to help protect the rider, well why are not car drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers and cyclists not as important to implement the same measures adopted to help protect the operator and other road users to make them as visible as possible whilst driving? Just tonight I saw four vehicles on my way home in the pitch black with one headlight working on the highway and one black Commodore station wagon with absolutely no lights on at all, this is a common occurrence on the roads that I travel. Wouldn’t it be good if the headlights were on all the time during the day so you could be warned that you have one out and not find out about it when you need them the most? I wonder how many times have you seen a vehicle drive down the street without their headlights on due to streets lights and then finally switch them on after they realise just how dark it is when they run out of street lights? I wonder how many times drink drivers have hopped behind the wheel and driven off without their headlights on and have run into an innocent party due to lack of visibility for both parties?

I have worked in the mining industry and noted that any vehicle that drives into a mine site MUST have their headlights on all in the name of Mine Safety yet when we drive out the gate the headlights are off and you are in the rat race with other shift workers who have completed their 12 hr shift in a hurry to get home which has resulted in other road user fatalities. Take a drive between Mackay and Moranbah and take note of all the signs someone has put up on the sides of the road every time a motor vehicle has had an accident along that stretch of road, let me tell you there is well over a hundred signs and the words Fatality send a shiver up your spine. An ever increasing number of drivers on the road these days are turning on their headlights which you will notice especially on long weekends, maybe the travellers feel safer knowing that they are more visible in heavy traffic conditions, but what about just the drive to the shop or going to and from work don’t you think it can happen to you then or don’t you think about it at all. Having your headlights on is not only to protect you it may protect the elderly pedestrian or child that didn’t see your vehicle. If the government was really serious about road safety and agreed to make all vehicle manufactures implement an auto headlight system into all new vehicles coming into our country to meet an amended Australian Standard for the vehicle then the question is why hasn’t it been done a long time ago?  The vehicle manufactures are only happy to implement auto wipers, voice activated radio controls, GPS, 6 airbags, reversing sensors, reversing cameras, abs braking, stability control and many more features that are too numerous to list yet we miss the thing that makes us visible to other road users and the thing that really could save you and your families lives from the person who says “I didn’t see him”. We need to start somewhere sometime soon and phase in these measures.

·        All new vehicles must have an automatic headlight system that can’t be turned off whilst the vehicle is running.

·        All used vehicles must have a simple modification completed as apart of roadworthiness before the vehicle can be purchased.

·        All current road registered vehicles regardless of size must have the simple modification completed by a nominated time ( maybe when registration is due)

·        All young people just starting out their driver training must be taught about the importance of being visible and how much of an impact it may have on their or other road users lives.

·        Ban the use of parking lights only while driving on the road.

Just look at the expense that all the different states throw at Road Safety every year trying to minimise the road toll like speed cameras, more police, advertisements and driver education, why not provide a rebate to all vehicle owners to have this implemented as soon as possible. I wonder if it may help to take a bit of the strain off our hospitals and doctors with the flow on effect.

If these measures could be implemented quickly and Nation wide we would find the transition is quick and my guess very effective in not only making some difference to the road toll but also to the suffering and injury to those who were lucky to survive their ordeal?

Now I know people are going to say that “their vehicles headlights turn on and off with the ignition” just like my Toyota Camry right now but the fact is it only works if the headlight switch is on and that is the weak link and there will always be those who forget or just won’t turn them on. I have purchased a second hand 2006 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab two years ago and discovered that the previous owner had the auto headlight modification installed which means that regardless of the headlight switch the headlights are on about 5 seconds after the vehicle ignition is turned on which I for one am only to happy to have. It is a fool proof system where only the low beam is activated when the vehicle is started and high beam can not be operated until the headlight switch is turned on manually meaning you can’t make the mistake of having your high beam on annoying oncoming traffic. Another vehicle I have is my work supplied 2008 Nissan Navara Dual Cab ute that the manufacturers have gone to the trouble to install a buzzer if the headlights are left on when the ignition is turned off, well why do they bother putting in a buzzer and not just a simple command to turn them off or even better a signal to turn them on when the ignition is in the on position and off when the key is off! It does have one very handy feature in that it has a dial with three positions for lowering the low beam when carrying a heavy load for combating lights shining in oncoming traffics eyes.

When you are out next take a look ahead and note how visible a vehicle is with his lights on and then the difference when one hasn’t and try and tell me how that couldn’t possibly help visibility to other road users. I see people driving with their parkers on, now these are next to useless as you can’t see them until they are nearly upon you. Parking lights are exactly as described Parking lights designed for the side of the road in a parking bay just as the heavy transport do regularly not as an on the road visibility fix and should be banned from use on the road as have fog lights now in Queensland when used when it is not foggy (this to me is wrong as least the vehicle is visible to oncoming traffic. Another point to consider if you use your parkers are that if the sun is behind you the parkers are useless but if you headlights are on they still can be visible. My eye sight is starting to fade and when I cover my right eye I can’t read road signs clearly yet I have just had them tested and was told I am fine and I don’t need glasses and am legally fit to drive in that condition, how bad are others eyes who don’t or won’t get them checked and are driving on the roads I travel?

Let’s think about these seriously for a moment and ask ourselves why?

·        Why do trains have headlights on all the time?

·        Why do planes have headlights on all the time?

·        Why do all police and emergency vehicles have flashing lights?

·        Why do all road work crews have flashing lights?

·        Why do workers wear high visibility clothing?

There is only one answer and it is TO INCREASE VISIBILTY TO OTHER PARTIES AND TO HELP PROTECT THE INDIVIDUAL!

Please tell me why we as road users can pass each other by time and again with two metres to spare at 100km an hr with no headlights on, that’s right 2 metres separation is all that’s between us as you pass by, 2 metres that determines life and death and only 2 metres room for error which is why I think visibility is critical. Critical because with an increasing population we have increasing road usage, critical because we allow foreigners or tourists to drive in our country who may not be as up to speed with our road rules and are used to driving for an example on the other side of the road and in vehicles with all controls opposite to what they are used to and critical to oncoming traffic for the users who breach the two metre invisible barrier that protects us and our families due to distractions from gadgets we commonly now have in our vehicles like phones and GPS’s.

I have had first hand experience of being inside a smashed up car holding the drivers head with his 83 year old mother beside him in the passenger seat whilst waiting for the emergency crews to arrive and know the feeling I had when the paramedics told me I had to wear rubber gloves and left me crouched on the back seat with a steering wheel and air bag beside me whilst they went to work, know the smell of urine and faeces, know the feeling while I held his head and they started to cut the roof off, know the feeling of wondering what my wife was thinking while she sat in our car with our two children for an hour and a half with emergency services all around her wondering where her husband is and know the feeling of attending his funeral straight after Christmas and the effect it had on me and his family even though I only knew him for an hour and a half. Don’t we owe it to our emergency services hero’s who deal with these types of tragedies everyday to try and give them maybe just small helping hand to stay more visible whilst on the road so that we all may just get home to our families safely.

Q. What are vehicle headlights for?

A. To increase visibility for the user whilst driving and to increase visibility of the vehicle for other road users.

Well then why do we turn them off when they just might save a life?

If we all want to be HERE FOR LIFE we need to start thinking of others as well as ourselves and increase visibility for all

Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Turn your headlights on!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »
It's a great idea and very well written it's something that I have been doing for many years, a carry over from riding motorcycles and in theroy you would think it would cut the road toll.

It can't hurt, whether it will cut the road toll, I can't say, the thing is I've heard that same line a few times when people have run into me and when your driving a bus or truck (which was the case a few times, you have to wonder where were they looking at the time and how much attention were they paying to driving their vehicle and not to their mobile or their passenger.

Unfortunately all the saftey incentive won't prevent morons having accidents.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »
 Good post.
 I always use headlights outside of the suburbs.
Sunset is getting later these days, but only a couple of weeks ago it was still quite dark around 5.00pm when many people leave work.
 My car has auto lights, so mine were on, but some clown in dark grey car without lights persisted in driving in my blind spot. Made it very hard to see him. He did get Bixenon flashed when I slowed down to let him go by.
But then again we have idiots who persist in driving in the dark with sidelights on, thinking their foglights look cool and sophisticated.
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline oli

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
I might not turn them on around town, but (almost) always have them on when on the open road. Have found from experience that it is far easier to be seen or see others coming from a distance due to lights.

It really annoys me when people flick their lights at me during the day though to tell me my lights are on...

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
Ive had a company car in the past that had daytime headlights, I found it the worst most annoying thing ever.  In the 8 months I had the car I had MORE people cut me off & pull out in front of me that in any other car ive ever had.   Sure I cant blame the lights entirely as I have no proof, but when I drove without the lights on (Forced off) it was noticeable that less people pull out dangerously close.

JMEYMMV

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
As the driver of a silver coloured vehicle I pretty much always have my lights on.  From a distance silver blends into the road perfectly and I always have problems with people pulling out in front of me - hence the lights.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »
This is a good read, and totally agree.

And adding to this, how many people turn on their head lights for on coming traffic, on a two lane road, when they know that the oncoming traffic has the sun in their eyes.

sun glare is a killer, but if you can see headlights coming towards you through the glare, and the tail lights of the person in front of you, it makes driving in these conditions a lot easier.

These are the sort of things that should be taught to new drivers.

:cheers:

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
Always have either the fog or normal lights on when driving around the forest....that split second maybe all it takes for the dirt bike riders not to be an ornament on the front of the bull bar !!

And I'd hate to have a dirty , bleeding bloke in the nice clean 4x4 enroute to hospital!! ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:35:08 PM »
Always have either the fog or normal lights on when driving around the forest....that split second maybe all it takes for the dirt bike riders not to be an ornament on the front of the bull bar !!

And I'd hate to have a dirty , bleeding bloke in the nice clean 4x4 enroute to hospital!! ;D

Been there, had to cart a bloke from Binacrombe to Goulburn with a compound fracture of the leg (quad bike accident) took me months to get the blood out :-[ luckly it was only a Hilux ;D

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline coxy1954

• Tent User
  • 2007 RA Rodeo LX
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
Excellent point pipeliner, something we can all do to assist every road user, most modern vehicles have a light shut off switch when the ignition switch is off, so no reason not to have them on all the time when the vehicle is being used.

Safe Travels Dave
http://myswag.org/gallery/v/coxy1954/

Offline nargun

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
If I was a motor cycle rider, I’d be resisting this idea with vigour; in a line of traffic a bike with its lights on during the day stands out, rather than being a black speck merging into the background. If everyone had their lights on, the bike wouldn’t stand out; is that a biker or the head lights of the car behind?

At night you can tell quickly whether your lights are on high beam or not (and how many stuff this up any way?). During the day you still have the capacity to dazzle oncoming drivers. The instrument lights on most cars dim when lights are turned on, some cars can be overridden, others can’t. Back lit LCD instruments can be hard to read in bright sunshine and be impossible during the day when dimmed due to lights being on.

If you need their lights on during the day to see another car you shouldn’t be driving and if you believe that if you have your lights on someone will see you you’re probably not sufficiently paranoid to be on the road (I was taught to drive on the premise that my driving skills were only as good as the worst driver in a 100 metre radius).

I do put my lights on at the first hint of poor visibility, and will put them on earlier if I’m travelling east before dusk.

In Scandinavian countries, it is compulsory to drive with side lights on during the day (a la Volvos and Saabs) and this makes sense in countries where daylight hours in winter are only a couple of hours long. A couple of decades ago in NSW there was a “Lights on for safety” campaign. There should be sufficient statistical evidence arising from that and from Sweden and Finland to tell whether this works or not. Let’s get the evidence before enacting more legislation

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »
I usually drive with headlights on.  Our commodore turns lights off automatically if left on when you stop the vehicle and open the door, in that car I don't think I have turned the headlights off in over 5 years.  My flacon only has that facility if you use the auto headlight setting which does not turn headlights on during the day and the Patrol is totally manual so I sometimes forget in both these cars until I see someone else off in the distance with headlights on.  It does make a huge difference to visibility.

I'm not one for posting links to Utube, etc very often but this was posted on our 4wd club site yesterday and in line with the road safety theme of this thread I think it is appropriate.  A bit graphic but I think a must see for every driver, specially L or P plate drivers who may not have been on the road long enough to have seen or come across accidents like this in real life...

Small | Large

It goes for a few minutes and I think that is the beauty of this, instead of a quick 15 second thing you see on TV, this really rubs it in...
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
It's a great idea and very well written it's something that I have been doing for many years, a carry over from riding motorcycles and in theroy you would think it would cut the road toll.
I agree. I always used my lights.
But on Aus.Motorcycles its seen as a bad thing to use your headlights on a bike during the day. Something about being complacent and making cars rely on lights.. WTF? Then agian 2x 100watt globes didnt save me from sausage slurper that wiped me out...

Aus.motorcyclians arent all from Tasmania and Bundeena, but must be close to...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
 :D I agree, I have headlights on especially on the highway and always in dull (rain/fog).

Funnily enough it wasn't that many years ago in Queensland that someone (I think Q transport) ran an intensive
"Light Up and Live" campaign, which actually seemed to work. Mmmm ...just don't use high beam and driving lights.
I thought the RACQ was going to try and get it running again.
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline hutchie62

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • I'll drink to that.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
I drive about 75,000 K's a year on country roads. I always have my lights on and do struggle to see some cars in the distance with out lights on, compared to cars with lights on.
2013 Cab Chassis Landcruiser with goodies, 2008 Cub Supamatic Drover.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
I never turn the lights off in my Cruiser. I appreciate that they just turn of when I take the key out and open the door, no bloody chimes. This only catches me out when someone else drives it, and turns the lights off. I don't think to turn them on again.

I disagree that if everyone used their lights it would disadvantage motorcyclists.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Brett B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • just cruzin
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
well said agree 100%
97 80 series and home made ct

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
Lights on all the time solves the "didnt see" problem and increase safety ? Think not , people will just become indifferent , bit like if it became law for everyone to wear safety fluro shirts ALL the time everywhere , after awhile Who is standing out?

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
Lights on all the time solves the "didnt see" problem and increase safety ? Think not , people will just become indifferent , bit like if it became law for everyone to wear safety fluro shirts ALL the time everywhere , after awhile Who is standing out?

I normally wouldn't criticise a post, but seriously...

Certain colours are simply more visible than others.  And lights stand out. It's not like we're all standing next to each other.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
I All ways turn my lights on in my Hilux and especially once I step out of the Suburbs during the day. some colour vehicles blend to easy into the Road and vegetation.
As for flat batteries..I cant believe how much some folks on this site will pay for their CT and Tow vehicles so less than $100.00 to get a warning chime wired if you don't have one fitted is pittance..just basic vehicle improvements
I work for a state Government Agency here in the West and it COMPULSORY ..that's right COMPULSORY as part of our OSH policy for us to turn on out headlights to low beam during the day..Simply headlights on save lives..also as a motorcyclist I wouldn't drive on the road..especially in the suburbs without my headlight on
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »
I normally wouldn't criticise a post, but seriously...

Certain colours are simply more visible than others.  And lights stand out. It's not like we're all standing next to each other.
I think what he is saying is Yes they are more visible, but over time people tend not to notice them as easily. It does happen daily in warehouses, and factories.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:44 PM »
Hi,
  the BIG problem with any compulsion is the legal ramifications of some one saying the lights were not on so I didn't see him.
I fought this vigorously as a motorcyclist back in the 1970s, and managed to get the regulation that some bureaucrat had sneaked on to the books repealed retrospectively and deemed not to have been enacted. (Tasmania)
I am not against voluntary usage of headlights in appropriate conditions.
Yes I know Volvo had always on running lights in the 70s, not so now. Yes I know some of the bus lines ran with lights on at about the same time and indeed Vic Rail ran headlights on their locos, it did nothing that was statistically significant to their figures - i.e. the benefit could not be measured.
I would not oppose LED or similar conspicuity lights built into new cars/bikes/trucks/planes/ships/subs etc if they were fail-safe and had multiple redundancy.  I would first have to be shown valid statistical evidence that the benefits were measurable though, and when you remove all  the single vehicle, OR non daylight hours collisions from the mixture, you are now working with a much smaller data set, and the benefits have to be that much greater to generate any statistical significance to the total data set.
cheers

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 09:11:58 PM »
Generally agree, being a motorcyclist, bicyclist and silver Prado driver! My only issue with lights in daytime, is I find it alot harder to judge how far away oncoming vehicles are when I'm about to overtake. Still, at least I know they're there.

Personally I use my car/motorcycle lights alot more than most - being an optometrist it scares me to see how bad some drivers' vision is (like the old duck who came in after parking her little red Volksy in the pedestrian mall right outside the clinic, turned out she was legally blind and still driving....) Rest assured, there are alot of people with VERY poor eyesight still driving, certainly in Victoria with no regular testing, so do whatever it takes to be seen.

Safe driving,

Cam

Set your chickens free

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »
If either of our cars or the bike are on the road......the lights are on.

All our new work vehicles now supplied have additional day time LED running lights that come on with the ignition......

Cheers

Chris
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline Jukebox

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I don't believe it should be compulsory as has been said it becomes the norm and people don't see something that is the norm.
Also its been proved (I think I read it somewhere) and I agree just in my mind that it is harder to judge the speed of a vehicle when the lights are on.
I'd leave at if you wish to turn them on do so. if not leave them off.
Lights wont make a safer driver out of an idiot.
Just my 2 cents worth.  :D

Jukebox
Landrover Disco 1 TDI
Finch 05 OB
Jukebox
Nissan Navara 2007 STX 2.5 & Jayco Finch O/B
Since 3/9/08