Author Topic: using generators at campsite  (Read 43323 times)

Offline Graza71

• Swag User
Re: using generators at campsite
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
We camped a couple of Easters back with our friends down south of Perth. Long story short, we didn't get away as early as we'd hoped to so the first area we wanted to camp was choc-a-bloc so we had to camp in amongst a whole bunch of other people at another area (the down-side to long weekends when you don't want to travel too far...). There was one mob there who ran an old clunker of genny that was about a 5kVA jobby (the old ones they use on building sites) to run their setup of 3 or 4 x 500w halogen lights (yep, you coulda played a game of night cricket without too much trouble...). Thankfully they didn't run it all day, but it did come on about dusk and stayed on until about 9 - 9:30. When they finally turned it off, it was quite humorous to hear the cheers from all around the campsite. Not sure if they got the hint but you could kinda tell they weren't the most popular campers there...
2006 R51 Pathfinder
2011 Outback Campers Classic

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
One Day you will be a GREY Nomad and suffer from the intollerant juniors. Mate some people have medical needs for a genny. I do but I do use concideration when using it, I am entitalled to use it 24/7 in national parks etc because I have sleep apnea and also need to keep a fridge at 8 deg and below for insulin and before all get on the bandwagon I am also a camper so be fair and Tollerant. Barnray

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
One Day you will be a GREY Nomad and suffer from the intollerant juniors. Mate some people have medical needs for a genny. I do but I do use concideration when using it, I am entitalled to use it 24/7 in national parks etc because I have sleep apnea and also need to keep a fridge at 8 deg and below for insulin and before all get on the bandwagon I am also a camper so be fair and Tollerant. Barnray

Tolerance and consideration go hand in hand.

I can't see why a generator would need to run 24/7. Surely a decent solar/battery/inverter setup could be arranged to minimize generator use, and restrict it to daylight hours.

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Marschy

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
Sorry Barnray, a medical condition does not give you 'entitlement' to running a generator 24/7 in National Parks.

Offline Darren253

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

Surly you could get by with generator for day use, battery and inverter overnight? How many amps do you need? I have 220amp/hrs of battery in my setup and this will run my fridge and 240v requirements for 5-7 days without charge.
2013 LC200 Altitude
2014 CC Exodus 14

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

As long as you get a good night sleep.  Thats the important thing.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »
Re : Grey nomads watching TV while camping.

I think that's the difference between 'campers' and 'grey nomads.' Campers are camping to get away from it all and spend time with the family / whatever, usually for a week or so, and so are not interested in watching TV and the like, grey nomads are long term travellers moving around the country who want to have all the comforts of home to hand. Cant't say I blame them, if I was away for twelve months I would probably want my home comforts and be able to watch TV from time to time.

Personally I find generators a pain in the arse, you go to some beautiful spot in FNQ to relax and take in the scenery and its spoiled by machine noise. We had some guy in a caravan last year running a generator near to us at Bramston Beach Council campsite, it was an old generator, we tolerated the noise because we didn't have much choice, but the fumes were blowing into our tents and where we were sitting and gassing us, it was quite bad. When we approached the owner of the generator he said we were the ones with the problem so why should he move the generator? He eventually moved it, but like someone said a little consideration goes a long way. Another time at Bramston Beach another grey nomad was running his generator next to us, not the end of the world but not exactly conducive to relaxing camping either, but fair play to the guy he asked us if it was okay which we appreciated and so we wore the noise for the morning.

I have not had any problems with grey nomads but I have to say up here in FNQ during the winter months they do seem to take over the campsites here, I think there can be a bit of a clash of cultures as 'camping' and 'grey nomading' are two completely different concepts with different modus operandi but we have to inhabit the same campsites on occasion.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:03:06 PM by baz1 »

Offline swoffer

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
God , I cant believe the amount of whining about gens here , you can hardly hear modern gennies for heavens sake .

Harden up a bit campers . ;D

KingBilly

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
God , I cant believe the amount of whining about gens here , you can hardly hear modern gennies for heavens sake .

It's not the modern ones which are the problem.  And on the night air, something happening a kilometre away sounds like it is just outside your tent.

People just need to be considerate.  Nothing more, nothing less.

KB

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »
.......... My blood is still boiling, another beautiful spot ruined by grey nomads!
Cheers AJ

Hey AJ, he sounds like an inconsiderate DH, but don’t label all grey nomads like that.  :angel:  We have had a lot of younger campers ruin a nice peaceful spot, in fact lot of young ones, not just grey nomads!  How about we just call them all 'inconsiderate campers'.  But I hope you were sure that person was not running a generator for medical reasons before you shut it off.

Generators have their place, but we all need to be considerate of others, but the way society is going, things are only going to get worse.
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

X 2! Live and let live.

Cheers,

Disco teddy
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
were all their tyres flat?? if not you let the team down not the tyres :)
i let the team down no deflated tyres but i should have fired up the metallica. we were camped just north of dubbo we have a gennie ourselves but never use it before 9am.
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »
I don't mind your gennie, if you don't mind my chainsaw :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Canaussie

• Tent User
using generators at campsite
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
A bit unfair as far as I am concerned, now where did that generator ninja go which used to frequent the forum

GG
Yes I pulled a little generator ninja last weekend and oh boy what a drama that created!! I turned off to gensets and just coped abuse. I turned one off at 830 bu I was unfamiliar with the rules till 930pm and he other I turned off and 1130. The one I turned off at 1130 remained off till he started at 630am site rules say 730 then he left for whole day. The one I turned off first, well he came up and asked if I turned it off and I said I did the. Coped abuse. Well he complained to mngt and all his mates and wow. The second fellow came and abused me and our family at dinner time with 4 children under 5. Said touch my generator again and ill be sorry, well I don't respond well to threats and so the conversation went down hill, with my mate getting in on it to. Now I know that I should have asked them to turn it down first, and I will next time! But geez do these ppl have no courtesy and 12v battery systems.

What is the point of camping if ya can't enjo the piece and quiet of the outdoors!! Well I wished I still worked for a generator company and cart around a 800kva cummins qst30 to him all day!!;-)

Billy

Sent from Billy's iPhone using Tapatalk
Vinnie D4 2.7L 2012
Boogie Lifestyle extenda 2012

Mods.....what mods?

Offline Canaussie

• Tent User
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:18 PM »
I had a run in with a grey nomad last weekend at Theresa ck dam that got pretty heated, he thought it was very inconsiderate us to switch his generator off at 10 pm after it had been running since 6:30 am, >:D hes lucky I didn't put my chainsaw through it, after I copped an earful about touching his stuff..... Generators are fine by me between 9-5, outside of that is just rediculous, and I won't put up with it!

.......... My blood is still boiling, another beautiful spot ruined by grey nomads!

Cheers AJ

I had your back while I was hidin in the camper! Lol

Sent from Billy's iPhone using Tapatalk
Vinnie D4 2.7L 2012
Boogie Lifestyle extenda 2012

Mods.....what mods?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
Whilst we're at it what about the snorers and people who cough up a lung whilst they're asleep...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
I don't mind your gennie, if you don't mind my chainsaw :)
Yes! That's what I reckon :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »
That's Ok! These are signs representing a full life, fulfilled, no care for cholesterol or excessive consumption.

A life well lived...........hang the consequences!

Offline BernieShelly

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
My gennie runs through the day to run out fridges mine and friends have had holidays cut short because batteries have gone down or have packed it in the wife and i wont take that chance again as i have said above when i run ours i try and have it away from other campers usually no one aroud us as we camp in a group anything from 2 to 8 familys

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
I reckon 0900-1700HRS is fine if one needs to run the genset, but outside of these hours could certainly aggravate others. From time to time one might need to stray, but just to watch telly is not on.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
we don't mind gennies just the inconsiderate people who run them at inconvenient times. we are on our 12 month trip around oz but have not needed to use the gennie ourselves as we have a12 volt solar set up and 3 battery system. needs to have no senior awhile before we have to break it out.

for Christmas bought hubby 12volt tv, he has only pulled it out once so far in 5 weeks, so many things to see and do.

we also have no problems with grey nomads, some are very friendly and considerate.

tonight we are camped near the river near Wellington, ahhhh no gennie tonight
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
So after reading this thread, one could consider the problem has nothing to do with the generator, but the person running it.................. :police:

O.K. my little rant.....
Who got there first?
Where were you - NP CP, SF, property etc?

Circumstance and situation have a lot to do with it and since I wasn't there, I don't know.
But in response to the original post, assuming all situations as expected and the owner of the offending stinkpot was just being inconsiderate, I believe you have a right to ask him to be considerate.
But if it turns pearshaped, be prepared to act or suffer the consequences.

I've had good response and bad responses.
I'm sure everyone has, but sometimes you just have to analyse the situation and take whatever action you feel appropriate.
If they persist, then perhaps your tourettes may have a bad bout while you enjoy an early morning coffee outside their window.................. ;D

Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
I rocked up at a campsite a few weeks ago in an area that is designated no generators, some less experienced campers had a yammy 2kva running a proper 240 volt house fridge and a bunnings portable air conditioner in their tent.
Admittedly it was friggen hot, and nobody else around.
I told them if I got any complaints, they would have to turn it off.

In the sites I manage, that's usually how I work it, no complaints and off by dark. Any complaints and one warning, then tell your story walking.

I have just come from a weekend at big river, nobody anywhere near us, I ran the little  Honda for an hour to charge up the stupid coleman hot water unit, these things are designed to go flat half way through a shower.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:08:58 PM by Andrew_C »

Offline Toy pradopetty

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
Totally agree about the time thing regarding generators. I do have to ask though - those of you who turn other people's generators off- are you approaching the owners first and asking them to turn them off with no response or just turning them off without any correspondence with the owners at all ? I do have a Honda 20 and won't use it once it gets dark. Start up time would be anytime usually after 8 and I normally run an extension lead to behind a tree where it really muffles the noise so I don't intrude on others weekend. Being considerate is definitely the key.  Will I need a flame suit now ?

Cheers
Frank

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
WARNING ADULTS ONLY  Would this Tourrettes be kinder what your thinking off ...     
Tourettes Karaoke R.E.M's 'Losing my religion' Small | Large

WARNING ADULTS ONLY
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "