Author Topic: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine  (Read 43663 times)

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
just grabbed a copy and first impressions it looks good. :)
might be the next subscription having just let pat's old mags expire for first time in 8 years.  ;D

Did it come with a DVD?
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
in between all the product placement adverts portrayed as 'infomation'...

Oops, stuffed the previous quote...

I meant to ask this guy if he'd read the magazine...

Offline yorkie

• Swag User
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
Did it come with a DVD?

no, do not expect to get a dvd if the content is good quality.  8)

smile and wave boys..... :)

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
no, do not expect to get a dvd if the content is good quality.  8)

;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »
Quote from: Pat Callinan
Oops, stuffed the previous quote... I meant to ask this guy if he'd read the magazine...
if you meant me, then the current new magazine no I havent.

I gave up on advertising material in the guise of a magazines years ago. Yes we all know mags need adverts to survive, but I can get ads on the interwebs... free.  How about just put ALL the ads down the back away from the interesting stuff. Thats how a few of the bike mags ran for years, and worked well. I'd even pick one up at the newsagents while waitin for the Pizza to be ready..

When you open a magazine and you don't get the index on the very first page, when you have to wait something like page 4-5 of the same ad month in month out its already lost me. All the Bike maggos are like this now. Dont buy them either.

I can't get my head around how 2 4wd magazines 1 month apart can do a test on Spotlights, yet be 100% opposite in results.
EG: Winner in magazine A lost in Mag B, and vice versa... Amazingly followed by 2 page spread of advertising from the winners... call me suspicious...

I've seen some vids from magazines that I think you were involved with at mates places where they were nothing more than info-mercials, with more convenient product placement (eg: leaning on the car lookin at the camera saying ARB or whatever brand 20 times) than info on the journey. Nobody needs that. Some were almost cheezy they were that blatant...;) Don't get me started on the bloke that cant work on a 4b without the "handbrake" bringing him 400 beers...

Don't get me wrong I hope it works for you, plenty of people say your Shit is good and like it so good luck...

But I can get real world info from forums without any advertising bias that most magazines contain these days - maybe there is, maybe there isnt - every magazine is different...  I can ask about DC DC chargers, and cable and have good experienced answers in 24hrs tops.

I dont know the last time I saw a 4b magazine do a test on something that really was Shit actually say that - somehow everything ALWAYS scores a 3-4 out of 5... Dont forget I know with cars that the ones given for testing are not straight off the showroom floor - well 2 car companies blokes in my old bike club worked for had 'special' cars for testing, whch is not the mags fault, but also gives false readings.

I think it was MC news was the last true test I read on the GPZ I think it was, they said it was crap and Kawasaki didnt give them test bikes for 10 odd years after that. But the reader knew the truth.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:32:14 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
I can ask about DC DC chargers, and cable and have good experienced answers in 24hrs tops.

Sorry Lost, but I think you meant to say "in 24 pages tops"
LJ
PS Good, spot on 'rant' IMHO.
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
Quote from: LJs GQ
Sorry Lost, but I think you meant to say "in 24 pages tops
I was being polite :P
but it has been pretty good so far, I'm lookin into em at moment..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Just bought one wow collectors edition havnt read it yet so can,t comment  :cheers:

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
Damn, Pat's on MySwag...
Probably not a good time to post up burnt copies of his 'Australia by 4X4' S1-3 Box Sets for sale...  :angel:
LJ

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
...not unless you want a copy Pat?? (Free shipping!)
Lost you probably wouldn't want them... they've still got the TV adverts in them.
LJ

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
Damn, Pat's on MySwag...
Probably not a good time to post up burnt copies of his 'Australia by 4X4' S1-3 Box Sets for sale...  :angel:
LJ

LMAO  ;D ;D
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
Damn, Pat's on MySwag...
LJ

HA ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Quote from: LJs GQ
...not unless you want a copy Pat?? (Free shipping!)
Lost you probably wouldn't want them... they've still got the TV adverts in them.
ARB might :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
a myswag mag ....... Id buy that!
lol
cheers chippy :D

Speewa can do the proof reading

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
Well I really like the format. I've been reading Pats stuff since the first 4WD Monthly and I think this is very well put together. It's quite different to the others in how the pics are displayed and the story written. Will be good to see where this goes.

Well done Pat.. never did get those old 4Wd Action shirts off you in the Mountains years ago. You may also remember my youngest wrote your youngest a letter many years ago to which yours replied. We still have those letters back in Springwood...
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 06:41:18 AM »
if you meant me, then the current new magazine no I havent.

I gave up on advertising material in the guise of a magazines years ago. Yes we all know mags need adverts to survive, but I can get ads on the interwebs... free.  How about just put ALL the ads down the back away from the interesting stuff. Thats how a few of the bike mags ran for years, and worked well. I'd even pick one up at the newsagents while waitin for the Pizza to be ready..

When you open a magazine and you don't get the index on the very first page, when you have to wait something like page 4-5 of the same ad month in month out its already lost me. All the Bike maggos are like this now. Dont buy them either.

I can't get my head around how 2 4wd magazines 1 month apart can do a test on Spotlights, yet be 100% opposite in results.
EG: Winner in magazine A lost in Mag B, and vice versa... Amazingly followed by 2 page spread of advertising from the winners... call me suspicious...

I've seen some vids from magazines that I think you were involved with at mates places where they were nothing more than info-mercials, with more convenient product placement (eg: leaning on the car lookin at the camera saying ARB or whatever brand 20 times) than info on the journey. Nobody needs that. Some were almost cheezy they were that blatant...;) Don't get me started on the bloke that cant work on a 4b without the "handbrake" bringing him 400 beers...

Don't get me wrong I hope it works for you, plenty of people say your **** is good and like it so good luck...

But I can get real world info from forums without any advertising bias that most magazines contain these days - maybe there is, maybe there isnt - every magazine is different...  I can ask about DC DC chargers, and cable and have good experienced answers in 24hrs tops.

I dont know the last time I saw a 4b magazine do a test on something that really was **** actually say that - somehow everything ALWAYS scores a 3-4 out of 5... Dont forget I know with cars that the ones given for testing are not straight off the showroom floor - well 2 car companies blokes in my old bike club worked for had 'special' cars for testing, whch is not the mags fault, but also gives false readings.

I think it was MC news was the last true test I read on the GPZ I think it was, they said it was crap and Kawasaki didnt give them test bikes for 10 odd years after that. But the reader knew the truth.

Dang, that's a long way of saying that you haven't read it! How about I post you a copy so you can comment on the the mag. I'm genuinely interested in feedback. And I wouldn't have started a new magazine if I didn't think that it could be done a little differently. Certainly not expecting that we can satisfy all of the people all of the time, but if we can satisfy most, then I'll sleep well at night.

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 06:43:10 AM »
Well I really like the format. I've been reading Pats stuff since the first 4WD Monthly and I think this is very well put together. It's quite different to the others in how the pics are displayed and the story written. Will be good to see where this goes.

Well done Pat.. never did get those old 4Wd Action shirts off you in the Mountains years ago. You may also remember my youngest wrote your youngest a letter many years ago to which yours replied. We still have those letters back in Springwood...

I remember that letter! Nice one. And those shirts have gone to heaven now Steve! Or was that Blaxland tip... :D

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »
Quote from: Pat Callinan
Certainly not expecting that we can satisfy all of the people all of the time
Yep, thats the biggest problem with magazines...  Some maggos like 4wd_whoever_they_are_this_week try to do that. Its born to fail..

Having said that, there isnt a large enough market to have 10 different magazines @ $10ea to suit everyone.. this was the fail with motorcycling magazines.

With 4wding, the wannabe-hardcore kiddies hate "bolt on bandits" (but love using the term to put others down), apparently cause they are flooding the magazine with cars using only bolt on parts, cause its usually what 90% of them are themselves - we all started there. I see no problem with that.

The "Bolt on Bandits" hate hardcore cause their 28inch tyres wont get them up the track anymore and have absolutely ZERO interest in hydro rear steer in their 2012 Sang Yong that recover Delicas with 4in lift, twin lockers, custom barwork, chopped into a ute with Coil overs...

Feel free to shoot me a copy if you like, I'll go in with an open mind.

As for magazines I see it as
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:46:37 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
Dang, that's a long way of saying that you haven't read it! How about I post you a copy so you can comment on the the mag. I'm genuinely interested in feedback. And I wouldn't have started a new magazine if I didn't think that it could be done a little differently. Certainly not expecting that we can satisfy all of the people all of the time, but if we can satisfy most, then I'll sleep well at night.
feel free to send me one as well, havnt been given any pocket money to buy a copy.
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »
Just went out and bought the first issue.

Hats off to you Pat for starting a new mag up and doing it with a very polished product. Love the design (although some of the font choices are a bit over the top In places) the photography is top notch ( although the blacks are a bit heavy in places).

Love the big maps that ate actually of some use compared to the tiny little thumbnails used innother mags. One of my personal pet peeves.

Love the mix of stories.

Now it all becomes clear when I was chatting with Scott earlier this year as he couldn't give too much away, very hush hush.

Awesome job keep it up

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
niceway to get a free mag lost! lol

I'm impressed with the mag Pat, I will def be buying it in the future. The lack of adds every two pages, and the informative articles make for a nice change! Great photography, and setout. I just hope that future editions wont be repeating the same articles over and over again .....  I also love the size of the maps better than those "other" mags!

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »
By the way I dont believe your stubby coolers will really keep my stubbies cold ...any chance you can send me one and I will test it out ???  hahahaha :p

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »
Any chance you could post up some pics of the the mag Pat?
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
my better half picked up a copy today................can't wait to get home and check it out
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
I'm not really into Mags, but I'll pick up a copy and give it a read, I used to like Tony Kirby's Sidetrack, but like a lot of the bike mags, content dropped in favour of adds.

Might have a squiz at Pat's new show this Friday as well, the last show I watched was pretty good.

Baz.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:18:27 PM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool