Author Topic: Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle  (Read 47650 times)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
Re: Favourite .22 Rimfire Rifle
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:01 PM »
I love my little Ruger 96/22 with the rotation mag.  Really short throw on the lever, and fairly short barrel makes it very nimble.  Mates who see it that had a 10/22 get all sentimental/angry that they weren't allowed to keep them.  I'm on the lookout for a 96/44 to chase the piggy wiggies (technical term, that).

My little Slazenger lives next to it, but honestly doesn't see much action these days.

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
Went and put nearly 100 rounds through my new 22 today, very happy with it, lots of just plugging away at various targets over varying distances sighting the scope in.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Sloth

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
I still have an immaculate .22 BRNO model 2 that's still amazingly accurate. Absolutely love that rifle!

Offline harvs

• Swag User
    • Shootme productions
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
I'm quite amazed at how many of you have or had an Anshutz .22 . I have recently been given a vey nice bushnel 3-9 x 40. It fits my Anshultz nicely. Looking forward to when I can get out and sight it in.

My dad had a lithgow single shot 22 for use on his farm. It looked more like it was used to strain fences or dig holes that shoot. I remember. using it once. I only saw 1 bunny that afternoon it. But that 1 shot was a head shot at 40 meters, iron sights and free hand.  I almost could not believe it.

Offline Tuco

• Tent User
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
The scope became necessary with failing eyesight. Without my specs on I could see the target but the sights were a blur and with the specs on I could see the sights and not the target. The fun of getting old.

Hi Rebs - I know exactly what you are on about when it comes to failing eyesight. My family and I were all "Western Action" regular competion shooters - all with class 'H' licences.

I was in the same boat as you - specs on and could see the target but not the sights, and specs off the sites were ok but the target was a blur. My opto suggested that I find another sport! I also had problems with specs behind goggles inside a motocross helmet - not comfortable at all.
Then I discovered that I was suitable for laser eye surgery. They fixed my left eye for the long distance that was lacking. The right eye was left alone and i've never needed reading glasses. The proceedure is called 'Monovision' and in essence I have a long eye and a short eye. Took the brain about 3 months to figure out the two different eyes but all is fine now.
I shoot with both eyes open - sighting throught the right eye and can see the target clear with the left eye.

BTW - I'm 63 and can read the bottom line on the eye chart without any glasses.

Without straying from the thread - among my rifles is a Slazenger repeater - great accurate .22 that I have had since 1966 - when I got it second hand.
Nissan Patrol GU7 ST - Jayco Sterling OB 17.55-4

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
Have used a Krico since i was 7, im now a lot older. That and a Bruno

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
I'm quite amazed at how many of you have or had an Anshutz .22 . I have recently been given a vey nice bushnel 3-9 x 40. It fits my Anshultz nicely. Looking forward to when I can get out and sight it in

Yeah amazed me how  many Anshultz are around too, I only bought mine a couple of years ago at a gun fair. There was two types, one with a front locking bolt and rear locking bolts ( cheaper ones), still today a Anshultz is a $1000 gun! Only criticism I have with then is what's mentioned before, they are fussing on ammo if you want it to feed well.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline harvs

• Swag User
    • Shootme productions
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
What Ammo are we all using?

I like Power Points.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:30 AM »
I love my little Ruger 96/22 with the rotation mag.  Really short throw on the lever, and fairly short barrel makes it very nimble. 

love my 96/22 and it fits the big mag from the 10/22 days, got a Nikko stirling scope with the inbuilt laser for the short shots, heaps of fun......
only problem is I don't get to use them all enough

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
Thanx for telling me that my old Anshutz (with a front safety lock) is now a $1000 gun achjimmy!  It was a great weapon, and the quality of the stock was amazing.  For its size it was sooo heavy to lug around. I presume it was real walnut.

Ahh, the memories!
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline heathydee

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »
I usually travel with a 22 and have found over the years that often they are banged and bumped and when a shot presents , more often than not the sights have been bumped and the shot is missed.
To overcome this problem I made a detachable scope mount for my Brno . The scope travels in a foam lined box and is attached to the rifle in a matter of seconds . No loss of zero and the first shot is always on the money.

Offline scottrods

• Swag User
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »
I have a ruger 10/22. Love it. Accurate and easy feeding mags.

If I was to buy another it would be a CZ in 17HMR or 22 Mag.

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Posted by: scottrods
Insert Quote
I have a ruger 10/22. Love it. Accurate and easy feeding mags.
How did you manage to keep your 10/22.
Johnny Howard took mine when autos were "outlawed".
Gave me only half it was worth with no comeback to appeal value.
Also "took" a custom 8 shot Mosberg semiauto 12G scrub  shotgun and a mint Berretta 302 12 Guage.
The 10/22 was a custom built with stainless barrel, polished action,with a carbon fibre pistol grip stock.

Talking about ammo, can you still get Z LONGS. Low velocity rounds
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:01:01 PM by sparksy »

Offline Sparkdog99

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
Bruno .22 with 6 x Leupold scope for hunting and target practise. Plus a 60 year old Lithgow single shot with open sites. Now I just need my 4 year old to grow up so I can teach him how to shoot.
Cheers

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »

Talking about ammo, can you still get Z LONGS. Low velocity rounds

Yep - trajectory like a house brick - but nice and quiet for mynahs!

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
Ahh, the memories.

I have 3 x 22's - the 1st is a WW1 Mauser [taken from the opposition] with a clip that holds 5 bullets. The other 2 were gifts from the old fella - some Chinese junk with a scope which dad got from a dealer in Cobar - swapped it for another Mauser plus some cash when his eyesight was failing - it was in pristine condition & the dealer couldn't hand over the cash quickly enough!

The final one was made at the Lithgow SAF around 1904 - it is a "slide action" where the bullets are inserted into a magazine under the barrel - approx. 10 shots. The rifling's are almost gone as dad used to use it to shoot bunnies etc when growing up in Lithgow.

On the subject of Lithgow - he actually worked at the SAF for several years, so it is very possible that many of the guns out there were made [in part] by him!!

Hem

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
I'm surprised that 5 pages in to the thread and nobody has yet started the .17 vs .22 Magnum Rimfire debate, this site is certainly civilized.

I shoot the CZ .22 Magnum and love it more than Mrs Campfire, I am impressed with the development of high tech .22 Magnum hunting ammo which is on the market these days, I went away at the end of last year shooting a few boxes of 30 grain polymer tip .22 WMR rounds and the impact they had on the 70-80 rabbits I pulled up over a week using my CZ was quite devastating.

I have purchased a pack of 50 grain .22 WMR rounds and used a few on rabbits and a cat, but I haven't had the chance to try it out on a decent size fox yet, maybe the next hunting trip I might have more luck.

Cheers

Campfire

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
I saw a DVD in a loose bin of DVD's on special at JB called " Smiley gets a gun" which is a boy who wants a .22. I was kicking myself for not buying to show my young son, and promised myself to get it next opportunity.

To live in those days would have been great

Cheers

Campfire

Offline gurules

• Tent User
  • GU 4.2TD AND TRACK TRAILER EAGLE
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
I have my father in laws old BSA 22 my son uses ,in my collection i love my lever 22mag wini ,my son is keen as so he has started using it,we just came back from Broken HILL got some nice stuff.But best of all camping and havn fun with my son.10/27 RSAR go infantry.
Never Ever Give up

Offline gurules

• Tent User
  • GU 4.2TD AND TRACK TRAILER EAGLE
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
22 mag works well on foxes mate also takes down a good size roo,just as well,and paddy melons get splatted which my son enjoyed a lot.have you got any big stuff i have lots of303s sako 308 , a nice 1942 6.5 mauser.
Never Ever Give up

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
I have one Ruger 22 Magnum which I have not taken out for a while, also have some big hitters,  243, 30-30 and a 270. Just need the little fella to get a bit bigger and he will get a go

GG

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
Sounds like a great collection you have there, I reload 243 and find it to be my main centre fire.

I use a RCBS press and like loading 100 grain semi pointers.

I am impressed with the high tech ammo for .22 Magnum with some of it almost able to catch up with the .17 and with twice the hitting power. I do like the 30 grain polymer tip ballistic rounds you can buy for .22 Magnum and I certainly believe there is going to be even more development of this potent little round.

Cheers

Campfire
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:14:58 PM by Campfire »

Offline apsilon

• Swag User
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
I have a CZ 452 myself. Excellent little rifle. Extremely accurate and will match the accuracy of many more expensive rifles.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
I usually travel with a 22 and have found over the years that often they are banged and bumped and when a shot presents , more often than not the sights have been bumped and the shot is missed.
To overcome this problem I made a detachable scope mount for my Brno . The scope travels in a foam lined box and is attached to the rifle in a matter of seconds . No loss of zero and the first shot is always on the money.

Tis a thing of great beauty!
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
Just curious, if any forum members shoot/ own a Winchester Wildcat .22

I have been asked a few times what's a good .22 rifle for a kid to start on when he gets his Junior Firearms Permit and you want to train him/ her up on the range in safety to start with. There are alot of .22 around the $700 - $1000 mark. But for kids you want something reasonable, safe and a bit cheaper.

I had been looking the nice little .22 Marlins in a wood stock, the Savage .22 rifle, unfortunately as great the CZ 's are they have jump a fair bit in price over the last 10 years.

I purchased a brand new Winchester Wildcat .22 and for $450 it came with a nice stock, 3 x 10 round magazines and a 5 round magazine. It uses the Russian Toz barrel short 18-19 inch barrel and I have to say a nice little gun to shoot on the range and very light as a walk around rabbit gun. For $450 with 4 x magazines, I considered this a pretty good deal and yes they shoot pretty good too. I'm thinking this would be a great starting gun for any junior shooter as a first gun.

Cheers

Campfire