Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673394 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #975 on: December 19, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
Yep same one .. the waterproof case is yellow at the front .
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #976 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »
Just found out ( I think ) why my motor didnt want to work properly ... The supplied screws are too long and if you tighten them up through the alien carbon fibre motor mounts the bottom of the screw bites into the copper winding and effectively shorts it out I'm guessing ..
Check out the top screw hole in the pic ....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:27:58 PM by Mandrake »

Marschy

« Reply #977 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
That'd do it.

Everything you touch with these quads needs measuring. It's starting to become a habit with me now.

Especially voltages. Using up to 3 different voltages on a 4S setup keeps you on your toes. 14.8 for the ESC's, 12 volts for gimbals cameras and transmitters, 5-6 volts for servos, 5 volts for the flight controller. It's not hard to see why so many people, including myself, fry stuff.

Thats why I use balance connectors for connecting hardware, so the 12 volt stuff can only plug into an 11.1 balance connector and not the same power supply as the ESC's. Same with servo's. I use a 7.4 volt balance connector just to make sure I don't plug any servo into an 11.1 balance socket and fry my gimbal servo.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:40:00 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #978 on: December 19, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »
Thats why I use balance connectors for connecting hardware, so the 12 volt stuff can only plug into an 11.1 balance connector and not the same power supply as the ESC's. Same with servo's. I use a 7.4 volt balance connector just to make sure I don't plug any servo into an 11.1 balance socket and fry my gimbal servo.

Now that is a brilliant idea, I think I'll be ordering a while heap of them tonight!!
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #979 on: December 19, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
Just found out ( I think ) why my motor didnt want to work properly ... The supplied screws are too long and if you tighten them up through the alien carbon fibre motor mounts the bottom of the screw bites into the copper winding and effectively shorts it out I'm guessing ..
Check out the top screw hole in the pic ....

Thats the first thing I checked on my new motors, so many are provided with the incorrect sized bolts.....  Should be obvious since so many are bolted on to CF frames these days.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:03:46 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #980 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
Now that is a brilliant idea, I think I'll be ordering a while heap of them tonight!!

I did this on my Reptile, and now I've done the same on my Alien560.

The filtered power supply on the left for gimbals etc has 3S balance connectors, the power distribution board on the right has 4S connectors for the Naza PMU and the connection to the 12 volt BEC.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #981 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
I did this on my Reptile, and now I've done the same on my Alien560.

The filtered power supply on the left for gimbals etc has 3S balance connectors, the power distribution board on the right has 4S connectors for the Naza PMU and the connection to the 12 volt BEC.

You know I saw that and was wondering which connectors you were using.....

For most things it will be excellent, do you know the max current for them?

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #982 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
You know I saw that and was wondering which connectors you were using.....

For most things it will be excellent, do you know the max current for them?

Chris
No idea, but I should check shouldn't I!! I'll see if I can find the invoice and site I purchased them from to find out the current limit.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #983 on: December 19, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
Hmmm, I've got mixed feeling on this, I just got a happy surprise that my MiniAPM and power module arrived today.......

Now do I pull everything apart again to do it right before it's taken off or do I to a few small test flights tomorrow and then swap it all over.... Choices, choices......

I got home too late tonight to go for a fly.... Grrr

Damn the miniAPM is tiny, even small than I thought it was going to be.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #984 on: December 19, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
No idea, but I should check shouldn't I!! I'll see if I can find the invoice and site I purchased them from to find out the current limit.

Looks good, it seems they can handle 3A.  Where did you get them from?

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #985 on: December 19, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
Hmmm, I've got mixed feeling on this, I just got a happy surprise that my MiniAPM and power module arrived today.......

Now do I pull everything apart again to do it right before it's taken off or do I to a few small test flights tomorrow and then swap it all over.... Choices, choices......

I got home too late tonight to go for a fly.... Grrr

Damn the miniAPM is tiny, even small than I thought it was going to be.

I think I'll take my time with the miniAPM......  Looks like it will take some time to work it all out.  It would be nice to have it all done before I go up to my parents place but I want it done right.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #987 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
Got mine pre-wired from here - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230865244108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
This guy has 3 pin , 4 pin , JST and Micro mini jst ...
Steve

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #989 on: December 19, 2014, 09:41:38 PM »
Thanks guys, I've just put in an order a bit from both of the piles (JST-XH 2.54 pitch).  I have plenty of the small 0.1 pitch stuff, wish I'd seen your latest post earlier Steve, I ordered some of the ones that Mark had mentioned and then saw your which are prewired.....

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #990 on: December 19, 2014, 10:35:50 PM »
Haste makes waste.. my old man used to say that all the time...He never got anything done.LOL

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #991 on: December 19, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »
Did your miniAPM come with silicon cables?

Yes I was most impressed by that.  My power module on the other hand isn't.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #992 on: December 20, 2014, 01:41:10 AM »
My V3 tricopter is finally alive!

After waiting for the frame for 2 months I flew back in from work yesterday to find it waiting on the doorstep for me!

I assembled most of it last night and then had to spend an hour or 2 this afternoon setting up the KK board and transmitter - a few little errors hear and there.

I didn't have the patience to wait until tomorrow morning to fly it in an open space so I maidened it on my front lawn. I didn't prang it either which I'm pretty chuffed about seeing as my lawn is about 7x12m with verandahs and limestone retaining walls all around! Did a little bit of pruning in the garden but it was a little bit gusty so I think that can be overlooked! I put 2 batteries through it but I could have gotten a bit longer out of them - only used around 1800 ah from the 3000 ah 4S batteries.

Only issue I am having is I can't get the self leveling to work on a switch - I've had to assign it to a stick for now which is not ideal as it is either on or off for the whole flight when I'd rather be able to switch it on during flight if I need to. I had it all working when I bench tested everything before I got the frame but now everything's assembled it won't work. I can see the switches working on the TX but even when I plug a servo into the receiver I get nothing which is leading me to think that The Orange R615x receiver is dodgy.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'll post up  a photo when I get a chance, although it's nothing special to look at and is a bit of a mess as far as wiring goes.
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Marschy

« Reply #993 on: December 20, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I've just put in an order a bit from both of the piles (JST-XH 2.54 pitch).  I have plenty of the small 0.1 pitch stuff, wish I'd seen your latest post earlier Steve, I ordered some of the ones that Mark had mentioned and then saw your which are prewired.....
Same crimper I've posted info about before that does servo leads from Jaycar will do the JST-XH terminals as well. Great investment.

It's a habit of mine from when I used to fly fixed wing to always solder the crimped joint as well. To be sure, to be sure.

Marschy

« Reply #994 on: December 20, 2014, 03:48:33 AM »
My V3 tricopter is finally alive!

After waiting for the frame for 2 months I flew back in from work yesterday to find it waiting on the doorstep for me!

I assembled most of it last night and then had to spend an hour or 2 this afternoon setting up the KK board and transmitter - a few little errors hear and there.

I didn't have the patience to wait until tomorrow morning to fly it in an open space so I maidened it on my front lawn. I didn't prang it either which I'm pretty chuffed about seeing as my lawn is about 7x12m with verandahs and limestone retaining walls all around! Did a little bit of pruning in the garden but it was a little bit gusty so I think that can be overlooked! I put 2 batteries through it but I could have gotten a bit longer out of them - only used around 1800 ah from the 3000 ah 4S batteries.

Only issue I am having is I can't get the self leveling to work on a switch - I've had to assign it to a stick for now which is not ideal as it is either on or off for the whole flight when I'd rather be able to switch it on during flight if I need to. I had it all working when I bench tested everything before I got the frame but now everything's assembled it won't work. I can see the switches working on the TX but even when I plug a servo into the receiver I get nothing which is leading me to think that The Orange R615x receiver is dodgy.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'll post up  a photo when I get a chance, although it's nothing special to look at and is a bit of a mess as far as wiring goes.
Howdy Spartan,

Crikey you are a patient man. That took a bloody long time.

Remind us what your transmitter is. It sounds as though it may not be configured correctly. Protocol may be wrong. I haven't used my R615X yet, but I will have an opportunity to do so over the next two weeks, so maybe we can help each other out if we get stuck.

Be careful with your KK and check and double check your wiring. It's a very easy board to get magic smoke out of.

Cheers, Mark

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #995 on: December 20, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »
Howdy Spartan,

Crikey you are a patient man. That took a bloody long time.

Remind us what your transmitter is. It sounds as though it may not be configured correctly. Protocol may be wrong. I haven't used my R615X yet, but I will have an opportunity to do so over the next two weeks, so maybe we can help each other out if we get stuck.

Be careful with your KK and check and double check your wiring. It's a very easy board to get magic smoke out of.

Cheers, Mark
Hi Spartan,

I'm using the R615x they are a pretty solid receiver. Are you using it in pwm mode or ppm mode?

Just checking, when you go into kk2 board settings in the receiver test can you see the aux ch change, it sounds like a no? On the Tx you mentioned you can see it change, which Tx are you using? Are you sure its outputting on ch 5 for the switch?

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #996 on: December 20, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
If i was to get a apm fc is the initial setup simple like using usb and a setup program or do i have to wrte some sort of code which i have no idea about.
After christmas I plan to get a new fc. Either apm or multiwii both with gps.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #997 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »
If i was to get a apm fc is the initial setup simple like using usb and a setup program or do i have to wrte some sort of code which i have no idea about.
After christmas I plan to get a new fc. Either apm or multiwii both with gps.
Regards
Crispy
Get the APM,

No coding involved, but extremely versatile.

And yes it can be as simple as using the  USB, downloading the firmware, calibrating, auto tuning, flying. No different to Naza in a lot of ways.

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #998 on: December 20, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
I flew another 2 batteries this morning on a footy oval and still no crashes - a couple of rough landings but only flipped it over once so not too bad.

I'm using a 9xr reflashed with opentx. Pretty sure I'm using PWM - CPPM is when you only use 1 cable from the receiver to the fc correct?

When I do a receiver test on the board everything works correctly except the aux channel. I've tried every switch on the Tx and also plugged a servo into both the gear and aux1 slots on the receiver with no results.

I think I might have bench tested everything before I reflashed the Tx to opentx so it certainly could be a problem with the Tx setup but I can't figure out what. I would have thought that one of the switches would have outputted to channel 5?

I'm as sure as I can be that the receiver and KK are all hooked up correctly - everything else works and the magic smoke is still where it should be!

I wouldn't say I was patient but I didn't have much of a choice - plus they call WA "Wait Awhile" for a reason!
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #999 on: December 20, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »
I flew another 2 batteries this morning on a footy oval and still no crashes - a couple of rough landings but only flipped it over once so not too bad.

I'm using a 9xr reflashed with opentx. Pretty sure I'm using PWM - CPPM is when you only use 1 cable from the receiver to the fc correct?

When I do a receiver test on the board everything works correctly except the aux channel. I've tried every switch on the Tx and also plugged a servo into both the gear and aux1 slots on the receiver with no results.

I think I might have bench tested everything before I reflashed the Tx to opentx so it certainly could be a problem with the Tx setup but I can't figure out what. I would have thought that one of the switches would have outputted to channel 5?

I'm as sure as I can be that the receiver and KK are all hooked up correctly - everything else works and the magic smoke is still where it should be!

I wouldn't say I was patient but I didn't have much of a choice - plus they call WA "Wait Awhile" for a reason!

That will explain it, if you flashed it after testing you'll need to go into the menu's and find where it is outputting stuff.  I havent played with opentx, I've looked at it but can say I know the menu's enough.  On the Stock 9XR it is in the mixer menu where you will say which switch outputs to CH5.

Yes PPM is where you use 1 wire.  If you have the R615X, your Tx supports it and I'm guessing so does the transmitter module, I'd go for it.  Less wires floating around.

Mitsubishi Outlander