Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673335 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #875 on: December 14, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
In the DJI world their controller has a spring loaded centre position throttle - so up is forward throttle and down is reverse throttle - So the end points for that stick would be max rev throttle and max left or right - On the Devo 7 throttle only goes from 0 to 100% ( no reverse ) - Could that be the problemo ??? Maybe I can alter the end point from 0 to negative 100% ??
I'll go get the controller and see if there's an option .... I'm tired -- my head hurts -

Ah, now I understand the 0 to 100% will amplify it - both directions.  Seems it only goes to 100%, bugger.

Also make sure there isnt a throttle curve programmed in as it might be preventing it reaching the right point.   Does the Naza software say what the PWM values are?

In the Naza assistant what is it saying for the values, as you move the throttle does it go the full range or is it less than that?

Chris
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:24:31 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #876 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've got some interesting news for you....

I hooked up the sonar, here are my results:

Measured Distance / Reported Distance
20cm / 20cm
40cm / 40cm
80cm / 77cm
100cm / 105cm
180cm / 170cm

APM 2.6 Board running AC3.2 firmware.

These were very quick and dirty tests, but so far I'm impressed for a $15 item.  I tried a wall that was approx 3m away and the figures just bounced around so I'm taking that as it cant really do good measurements that far off.  Good enough for me though if I want to do an alt hold and stay above 2m off any object below I'll be happy with that.

I'll do some better testing once I've mounted it on the Tricoper.  Was pretty simple to setup just plug and play :-)  Not sure why I havent got this thing already mounted on the Tri.

If you are running the AC3.2 firmware the bad news for you is it appears it it isnt the APM firmware, likely to be the piggyback boards firmware....  If your still on 3.1 then I'd suggest upgrading to AC3.2 to see if that fixes it, if not then I'd recommend playing with the RNGFND_SCALING variable, since yours is out by a consistent amount you might find a slightly more optimal value?  If you change the APM code to adjust you'll need to keep merging your code in everytime you update the firmware.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #877 on: December 14, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »
Bummer -- Tried every combination - As soon as I add in the Naza I have no motor operations at all.. Leave it out and Elev , Ail , Throt and Rudd all work the motors....
AND
the usual arming sequence of sticks to lowest position in corners DON"t work either connected to PC or not connected ....

I'm lost ...
I'm now playing catch up to you Steve. Putting together 3 quads at the same time will probably do that.

I've now loaded the drivers, firmware and I'm getting the same problems as you. I can't arm the motors. Time to start reading the wiki's on the DJI website I think. I'm having problems calibrating channel 5 on the radio, probably the servo lead. This appears to be putting the flight controller in failsafe mode when you look at the Basic > Rc page in Naza Assist. The 'Failsafe' option is highlighted, so I think I've got to get that sorted out before I can proceed any further.

Marschy

« Reply #878 on: December 14, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've got some interesting news for you....

I hooked up the sonar, here are my results:

Measured Distance / Reported Distance
20cm / 20cm
40cm / 40cm
80cm / 77cm
100cm / 105cm
180cm / 170cm

APM 2.6 Board running AC3.2 firmware.

These were very quick and dirty tests, but so far I'm impressed for a $15 item.  I tried a wall that was approx 3m away and the figures just bounced around so I'm taking that as it cant really do good measurements that far off.  Good enough for me though if I want to do an alt hold and stay above 2m off any object below I'll be happy with that.

I'll do some better testing once I've mounted it on the Tricoper.  Was pretty simple to setup just plug and play :-)  Not sure why I havent got this thing already mounted on the Tri.

If you are running the AC3.2 firmware the bad news for you is it appears it it isnt the APM firmware, likely to be the piggyback boards firmware....  If your still on 3.1 then I'd suggest upgrading to AC3.2 to see if that fixes it, if not then I'd recommend playing with the RNGFND_SCALING variable, since yours is out by a consistent amount you might find a slightly more optimal value?  If you change the APM code to adjust you'll need to keep merging your code in everytime you update the firmware.

Chris
Ah, didn't know about that. Just hooking the Reptile up now. It's updating Mission Planner first, so I'll check what firmware is loaded after that using the CLI.

Edit: Yep, I'm running 3.1.5. I'm going to upgrade right now and see what happens with the sonar after that. Tomorrow that is.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:33:41 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #879 on: December 14, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »
Well that was 3 hours I'll never get back.....  Sigh, I had a spare R615X laying around that I thought ripper that will go into the 250 Quad.  Seemed to do odd stuff with PPM mode until, I decided to start from scratch and rebind, and reconnect it to the APM step by step.....  Then it just worked.  So annoying.....  Why didnt it do this the first time.....

So I only got some sonar testing and stuffing around with the receiver and basic APM checks....  Grrr, no pics tonight as I havent got all the stuff mounted yet, will have to be during the week for that one.  This quad better take flight this week or I'm going to go insane!!

Also no time to post any vids to youtube, time to go to bed and restart afresh tomorrow.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #880 on: December 15, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »
Well that was 3 hours I'll never get back.....  Sigh, I had a spare R615X laying around that I thought ripper that will go into the 250 Quad.  Seemed to do odd stuff with PPM mode until, I decided to start from scratch and rebind, and reconnect it to the APM step by step.....  Then it just worked.  So annoying.....  Why didnt it do this the first time.....

So I only got some sonar testing and stuffing around with the receiver and basic APM checks....  Grrr, no pics tonight as I havent got all the stuff mounted yet, will have to be during the week for that one.  This quad better take flight this week or I'm going to go insane!!

Also no time to post any vids to youtube, time to go to bed and restart afresh tomorrow.

Chris
Is this the new mini quad?

Marschy

« Reply #881 on: December 15, 2014, 12:21:22 AM »
Chris,

Can you post your RNGFND params please?

Cheers, Mark

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #882 on: December 15, 2014, 12:35:55 AM »
Ah, didn't know about that. Just hooking the Reptile up now. It's updating Mission Planner first, so I'll check what firmware is loaded after that using the CLI.

Edit: Yep, I'm running 3.1.5. I'm going to upgrade right now and see what happens with the sonar after that. Tomorrow that is.

Hi Mark,

I only found out today too, I hooked up the Bixler APM to put in the 250 quad and got a message saying I could update.....  I figured why not.

If it is still an issue after the update I think the parameter RNGFND_OFFSET is the one that will fix your woes.  Since it's consistently off by a percentage I'd say the volts it's reading are too high, maybe tinker with this setting and the other one to find something that works for you.

I should by shares in cable ties....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #883 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:45 AM »
Is this the new mini quad?
Sure is, this thing is going to heaps of fun and its so small (very portable). Cant wait for it to take flight.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #884 on: December 15, 2014, 07:19:04 AM »
Chris,

Can you post your RNGFND params please?

Cheers, Mark
RNGFND_PIN 0
RNGFND_MAX_CM 250
RNGFND_SCALING 2.04
RNDFND_TYPE 1

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #885 on: December 15, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »
Chris, have you had any trouble connecting to the CLI since upgrading the firmware?

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #886 on: December 15, 2014, 08:59:08 AM »
Chris, have you had any trouble connecting to the CLI since upgrading the firmware?

Sorry should have mentioned they had to drop the CLI to make room in the APM.  All CLI functions have been moved to the various screens.  I miss it too....

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #887 on: December 15, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »
Where do you see the sonar height?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #888 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »
After much fiddling around with Devo and Naza assistant I finally have a centre position throttle and managed to arm the motors ...

For some reason I am getting RED blinking light on the Naza - obviously one of my switch setting changes has done something there - However motors work and now
I have to get them to rotate in the correct ways ... Once all 4 are working CW and CCW then I'll try and investigate the GPS / Naza RED LED situation ---

Another 4 pkgs at Post today to collect - Should be the FPV cameras , Gimbal hooks , and the Radiolink controller ( no 4 is an ABC DVD for Xmas.)

Once again thanks for your help guys - Pointed me in the right direction again ..

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #889 on: December 15, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »
After much fiddling around with Devo and Naza assistant I finally have a centre position throttle and managed to arm the motors ...

For some reason I am getting RED blinking light on the Naza - obviously one of my switch setting changes has done something there - However motors work and now
I have to get them to rotate in the correct ways ... Once all 4 are working CW and CCW then I'll try and investigate the GPS / Naza RED LED situation ---

Another 4 pkgs at Post today to collect - Should be the FPV cameras , Gimbal hooks , and the Radiolink controller ( no 4 is an ABC DVD for Xmas.)

Once again thanks for your help guys - Pointed me in the right direction again ..

Cheers

Steve
Hello Steve, What did you do to get the motors to arm?
Cheers, Mark

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #890 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »
Once I had the throttle position at centre - It armed with the DJI setting - Both sticks full down and pushed to a lower opposite corner ..
Reverse throttle doesn't seem to work but I can work around that now that the motors and ESC are working ---
Looks like I may build another one as I bought the Q Brain ESC 4 in 1 ... Bit hasty methinks !! LOL

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #891 on: December 15, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
Forgot --- Also calibrated sticks in Naza and got them working in the correct directions

Marschy

« Reply #892 on: December 15, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
Steve, do you get an indication that the mode switch is working when your in the RC calibration screen. Does the blue highlighted area change from GPS, Atti, Failsafe as you flick the 3 way switch?

Marschy

« Reply #893 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »
Worked it out. I have to program a mix on my 3 position switch.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #894 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
Yeah - I'm having trouble setting the FMD switch -- Hoping the Radiolink will be easier to setup ... Its all about Input / Output and TRVAD of the correct switches -- I wanted to use my FMD switch on the right hand top of the Devo but I can't seem to find the settings for it - MIX switch is OK but its not the one I want to use ...

By the way DJI controls - to arm motors as I said BUT must be in GPS mode Throttle low must be at 100%.
After calibration in Naza the centre position becomes 50% and thats Idle when armed ?? Still can't figure that out but it works ...

.. to disarm push throttle to lowest centre position and hold for 3 seconds ..

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #895 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
One other thing - When you switch off the controller the Naza is supposed to drop into Failsafe - It doesn't with my Devo and I don't know why yet -- Still working on that too !!

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #896 on: December 15, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
Where do you see the sonar height?

In two locations, the first is the on the optional hardware screen it is next to the enable tick box (enable tick box doesnt work for me...), it should have the height and voltage reading.

Second location is on the status screen of the flight data screen, if you scroll it across (the tab that has all the raw data values) you'll find one that says sonar height.

If they are showing 0 then try restarting the APM, that's what worked for me, since then it shows up unless I restart it without the sonar settings turned off.  Even when I disconnect the sonar and leave the settings it still gives some values, so watch out for that one.  If sonar on board make sure it's connected, if not then make sure the settings are turned off for it.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:26:11 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #897 on: December 15, 2014, 12:25:28 PM »
Hi Mark and Steve,

I have to ask, what's the attraction with the Naza?  Besides it appears to have a really smooth out of the box feel?  I did a quick look today and seems the full version is very pricey and the lite version is a good price but it is very restricted (did I read that right no pmu or osd)?  I'm guessing if you went with the lite version you'd need to add a third party OSD, etc which is just more weight?

Before I saw all the issues you guys are having I would have said it was easier to setup than the APM but I'm rethinking that comment now  ;D

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #898 on: December 15, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
I went with it because I have a  Phantom and understood how it operated..Building my own has shown a lot of shortcomings. DJI stuff is obviously very user simplified..My OSD weighs 5 GMs so not too worried.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #899 on: December 15, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
I went with it because I have a  Phantom and understood how it operated..Building my own has shown a lot of shortcomings. DJI stuff is obviously very user simplified..My OSD weighs 5 GMs so not too worried.

Makes sense, before the posts I would have steered people towards it, not so sure now.  Sounds like if you buy a kit or buy a RTF then it looks good, appears to be very smooth from what I can see.  If your a builder I'll recommend other boards, depending on what they need to do.

Is the OSD a 3rd party OSD or is the Naza OSD?  Just that I thought the lite version didn't allow it to be added?

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander