Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673355 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #850 on: December 11, 2014, 09:05:10 AM »
Fitted the BIG BANDY legs to the Alien today - Weight is now 843 gms for frame motors and motor cables ... I've run the rods underneath from end to the other with a short stub out front for the gimbal to hang off ( just realised this won't work coz of two brackets not one - Damn !! ) anyway workaround that later ... Plenty of room underneath now - Just hope I have enough lift when the time comes ... LOL

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #851 on: December 11, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
Any pictures Steve?
Oops there they are

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #852 on: December 11, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »
Yup now - I use tapatalk to upload pics its easier ...

Marschy

« Reply #853 on: December 11, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
The additional height is certainly noticeable. I've got a set sitting under the xmas tree but i'm waiting to put them on until I break the stock legs

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #854 on: December 11, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
was wondering how to do the LED on the Alien and came up with this idea -- I'll tizz it up a bit later -- Half a white PingPong ball and I'll stick it in place with a few drops of the
electronic rubber paint ? Once I get a nice new clean ball I'll do this up -- Meantime I have 3 parcels to go and collect at my Parcel Locker ... Cameras , Legs and some hardwares ... Yeehaa ...

Steve
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:03:37 AM by Mandrake »

Marschy

« Reply #855 on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:43 PM »
was wondering how to do the LED on the Alien and came up with this idea -- I'll tizz it up a bit later -- Half a white PingPong ball and I'll stick it in place with a few drops of the
electronic rubber paint ? Once I get a nice new clean ball I'll do this up -- Meantime I have 3 parcels to go and collect at my Parcel Locker ... Cameras , Legs and some hardwares ... Yeehaa ...

Steve

Is that the Naza LED module? Great diffuser.

I received what should have been the last parcel today, the ZMR250 mini quad frame and the jewellers magnifying headband. But I've also got a replacement motor coming for the one I fried and the ESC's as well.

I have to go to the post office to pick up the mini quad frame so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what it looks like.

The magnifying headband is going to be really handy. No more contortionist acts with magnifying glasses, and small torch held between the teeth while soldering. I've actually started wearing the paint off the end of the P3 Led Lenser torch.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #856 on: December 11, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
My Parcel Locker is at the local shopping centre so I gave it a miss today - Christmas shoppers - Sheesh !!
Looks like I might have the Walkera controller tomorrow -- Could be up for some test flights very soon ...
Steve

Marschy

« Reply #857 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »
Just testing my new magnifying headset. This is going to be soooooo handy. The little flip down magnifier at 10x magnification won't be much chop for soldering as you have to get within about 2 inches to focus while closing your left eye, still doable though. Reading any chip is no problem.

When you flip it out of the way the focal distance is about 5-6 inches to the front of the headset. So it will be very handy for soldering and possibly getting a snoot full of burnt flux. The LED is really bright and you can adjust the angle of the light with the little metal toggle you can see in front of the power switch. This is probably to allow you to see what your looking at without getting light reflected back at you.

I used it to look at the chips on the miniAPM to determine if there was an onboard compass chip and to check if the JP1 pad was cut that disables the onboard compass if it is present. No onboard compass and JP1 is pre-cut, making the miniAPM a true 2.6 version. Very happy with these purchases so far. I will be testing the miniAPM this weekend on Mission Planner.

Marschy

« Reply #858 on: December 12, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Picked up the ZMR250 frame from the post office on the way home from work. The holes for the arms are a little bit difficult to get in as they are spot on the same size as the bolts and the holes line up pretty well perfectly, so there is no tolerance for anything to be misaligned.

This is the frame in comparison with the Reptile-Aphid X450.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #859 on: December 12, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »
I just received my Devo 7 / RX701 combo -- Looks like I have to learn a whole new programming skill set ....

One question for ye who know this stuff - The receiver has 7 ports and a Batt/Bind port - Do I need 7 cables to join up to the naza ?? DJI only had one going into the X2 slot -

Coz I'll have to make up some short 3 conductor leads if its necessary ---

Cheers

Steve

Marschy

« Reply #860 on: December 12, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
I just received my Devo 7 / RX701 combo -- Looks like I have to learn a whole new programming skill set ....

One question for ye who know this stuff - The receiver has 7 ports and a Batt/Bind port - Do I need 7 cables to join up to the naza ?? DJI only had one going into the X2 slot -

Coz I'll have to make up some short 3 conductor leads if its necessary ---

Cheers

Steve
I've only got 5 at the moment, 4 for AETR, one for flight modes on 3 position switch, that's the bare minimum you need for the Naza. But I'll be using one more receiver channel for gimbal tilt, and possibly another for switching between FPV camera and SJ4000 gopro knockoff. I'm not sure if the Naza has auto tune, so the last channel I have may be used for that if it's a feature on the Naza.

I made up short connectors, keeps it real tidy. X3 connector is the voltage sensor from the PMU.

If your receiver is CPPM compatible, you can use just one servo connection between the receiver and Naza. That why I bought this little sucker for the mini quad. A six channel CPPM receiver.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:28:00 PM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #861 on: December 14, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »
Connected everything up today -- Got the Naza to bind OK BUT for the life of me I cannot get the Emax / motors to fire up -- I've done the calib procedure several times with one connection to throttle and although it makes all the correct beep beep noises - Not one motor will kick -
So gunna try a Q-Brain 4 in 1 .. After that it will be 4 x ESCs and some very messy soldering ...Ughhh
Steve

Marschy

« Reply #862 on: December 14, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
Connected everything up today -- Got the Naza to bind OK BUT for the life of me I cannot get the Emax / motors to fire up -- I've done the calib procedure several times with one connection to throttle and although it makes all the correct beep beep noises - Not one motor will kick -
So gunna try a Q-Brain 4 in 1 .. After that it will be 4 x ESCs and some very messy soldering ...Ughhh
Steve
Hmmm, if the motors are beeping it says that the motor is powered up and it is has powered up the receiver via the ESC cable, but not necessarily a signal. Have you tried moving the ESC cable between channel 1 through 4 on the receiver and then moving the throttle. Once you find the correct channel, it should still fire up the motors without calibrating it.If thats what the problem is that is. If you look at the picture of the CPPM receiver I posted above with two red antennas, the sticker on the receiver says throttle is channel 1, but my radio is configured to output throttle on channel 3.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #863 on: December 14, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
OK -- a little more care and attention to detail and from what you said above - I now have motor working when plugged directly into the receiver when I include the Naza I don't get any motor motion UNTIL I unplug the ESC from Naza then motor runs for about 1 second ... Does that sound like my Naza has problems ??

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #864 on: December 14, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »
OK -- a little more care and attention to detail and from what you said above - I now have motor working when plugged directly into the receiver when I include the Naza I don't get any motor motion UNTIL I unplug the ESC from Naza then motor runs for about 1 second ... Does that sound like my Naza has problems ??
Steve,
Have you got the NAZA assistant software? If not then get it and have a look at what the software is telling you.
That is where I would start.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #865 on: December 14, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
I'm playing with Naza Assistant now and the throttle indicator is going across and back as it should but I'm not getting output to the ESC ... Tried flipping the plug and makes no dofference ...

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #866 on: December 14, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »
Are you doing the arming procedure? How about using the motor test section to check rotation?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #867 on: December 14, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
Arming the motors - Hmmmm - That would be a good idea wouldn't it !! I'll let ya know ...

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #868 on: December 14, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
Arming the motors - Hmmmm - That would be a good idea wouldn't it !! I'll let ya know ...
Motors will only arm when not connected to the PC via USB

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #869 on: December 14, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »
Bummer -- Tried every combination - As soon as I add in the Naza I have no motor operations at all.. Leave it out and Elev , Ail , Throt and Rudd all work the motors....
AND
the usual arming sequence of sticks to lowest position in corners DON"t work either connected to PC or not connected ....

I'm lost ...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:48:38 PM by Mandrake »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #870 on: December 14, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
Well I managed to get some flying into today!!!!  Thank you mother in law who was able to babysit for an hour to let me do this.  I put the tricopter up and I was right about my previous front left motor, I replaced it after last time and the issue has gone away, no random stalling of the motor.  Got about 35 mins in of actual flying time, and used about 8500mah off two 3s 5000mah (not mounted at the same time), so very happy with the flying times.  Would have gotten nearly 18 mins a battery with 20% spare.

I'm happy with my reinforcing of the battery tray, I had some strong winds today and when I was flying at around 30km/h with a -45 degree pitch it became unstable in the wind.  Had a spinning wild pitching blackhawk down type moment.  Felt like I was recovering with stabilise mode but stupidly thought loiter would be better....  Nope, another 1m higher and keeping it in stabilise and I would have recovered.  No real damage with a hit to the ground from several metres with an vertical impact speed of 2m per sec.....  Wasn't my plan to test out the new mounts but it certainly did handle it well.

Rest of the flying went well but I kept the pitch to less than 30 degrees and kept to less than 30km/h.  I think my autotune needs to be done again, seemed to have to correct excessively, but it might have been the wind.  Will test again in still winds to see if it was just the winds today.

On another note, I have the mini 250 quad build happening.  I have the frame assembled, mounted the motors and props (wow not much clearance at all, 5inch is the largest I can put on this thing.  I have a good use for a rp-sma extension cable, so I have the FPV Tx antenna mounted off the frame nicely.  Most stuff will be kept to to inside of the frame, so far only the battery (2200mah) is going to be mounted on the bottom but still clear of the ground with the landing gear and the FPV tx is sitting horizontal on the top.  I will most likely move this to the inside as I should have spare room for it.  Will leave plenty of room for the action cam if I want it in the future.

I had one of those moments....... You know the kind where you ask yourself, "are you stupid....."  I thought I had everything to put this together....  Nope I realised that I forgot to buy 2mm bullet connectors.....  I'd have to direct solder the motors but since this wont be the frame I use in the long run I thought It was best to use the connectors so now I have to wait till Tuesday for a rush order to arrive, otherwise I'd have had the quad up today too.  I'll swap over to the mini APM when it arrives too.

I plan to do everything else tonight on the quad so that I can take it for a spin as soon as I get the connectors (will post pics later tonight).  Best part is that after it's first test flight (at my normal oval I fly at) I can do some serious testing out the front of my place as I've got a small reserve that has a few trees.  If all goes well I should be zipping around those by the end of the week :-)

Marschy, I should be able to do the sonar testing tonight (once my daughter goes to bed) and plan to mount it to the Tricopter if it works well.  Will let you know hoe it goes.

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »
Bummer -- Tried every combination - As soon as I add in the Naza I have no motor operations at all.. Leave it out and Elev , Ail , Throt and Rudd all work the motors....
AND
the usual arming sequence of sticks to lowest position in corners DON"t work either connected to PC or not connected ....

I'm lost ...

Have you checked that the endpoints are allowing it go get to the full extents?  That might be stopping it from arming?

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
Have you checked that the endpoints are allowing it go get to the full extents?  That might be stopping it from arming?

Chris

Some have suggested on RCGroups to try calibrating the ESC off the Naza with a higher endpoint (116%) and then calibrating on the Naza with 100% endpoints.  Seems to have worked for some.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #873 on: December 14, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
In the DJI world their controller has a spring loaded centre position throttle - so up is forward throttle and down is reverse throttle - So the end points for that stick would be max rev throttle and max left or right - On the Devo 7 throttle only goes from 0 to 100% ( no reverse ) - Could that be the problemo ??? Maybe I can alter the end point from 0 to negative 100% ??
I'll go get the controller and see if there's an option .... I'm tired -- my head hurts -

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #874 on: December 14, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
In the DJI world their controller has a spring loaded centre position throttle - so up is forward throttle and down is reverse throttle - So the end points for that stick would be max rev throttle and max left or right - On the Devo 7 throttle only goes from 0 to 100% ( no reverse ) - Could that be the problemo ??? Maybe I can alter the end point from 0 to negative 100% ??
I'll go get the controller and see if there's an option .... I'm tired -- my head hurts -

Hope this helps, according to the manual it's called travel adjust, it's on page 48 of http://www.walkera.com/en/productinformation/DEVO7_EM.pdf

Also make sure that you dont have any sub trim or expo turned on either.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:48:27 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander